Ford Focus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
focust05 said:
the new Si is 138 ft lbs of torque at the crank last time i saw specs.

Actually its [email protected]

My duratec makes that much at the wheels @3500

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Good lord! You (and your friends) need to do reseach. Vtec is like Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control or somthing like that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Primaris said:
Chevy used to call their "iron duke" pos I4, the 4 tec. It was call 4 tec long before honda came up with the vtec name. The Vtech name is use by a electronic company. What's my point? Don't believe marketing BS, it doesn't mean ****.

Hey now watch it the Iron Duke bashing. Thats a mean little 94hp 2.5L motor....oh wait not really. I'm riding in front of one with 155k miles and it still does an admiral job. Not bad for a 20 yr old engine.

·
Banned
2,018 Posts
Kaduku said:
Okay my friend is all saying "damn ford for trying to copy vtec blah blah" and I say "dude, it's not even close, we dont have the vtec thing that goes off at certain speeds/rpms" and he says "vtec has beena round since 1980 though...":thumbdown Anyone else wonder why it was called something close to vtec? even though vtec sucks? :lol:
So who won the argument? Or was recess over?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
focust05 said:
sorry but honda si's are an easy kill for my '05 ST. honda has basically no torque in comparison to its hp rating. ive always viewed them as the most overrated engines these young kids babble about.

:lol: Funny guy...

Thanks for the entertainment. I needed a chuckle.

·
Banned
838 Posts
dont forget mitsu's mi-tec

or toyotas

vvt (pronoucned vivftee)

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
waynenewton said:
dont forget mitsu's mi-tec

or toyotas

vvt (pronoucned vivftee)
Actually that's MIVEC. (Which is ironic, because Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control isn't all that innovative.)

...and VVTLi is more exciting that VVTi.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
mievil said:
And he's not complaining about Chevy/Saturn copying with the Ecotec?
The Ecotec is an awesome engine and will be a force to reckon with four-cylinder motorsport.

Just tell him that Ford didn't copy Honda because the VTEC kicks in at a totally different time than the Zetec or the Duratec. BTW, when exactly does the Z kick in? For that matter, at what point in the powerband does the Dura kick in?
:p For the benefit of others who may not percieve your humor, nothing in a Zetec or Duratec "kicks in" valve-timing-wise as these two Ford engines have 'fixed' cam timing (with the exception of the SVT Zetec and the Mazda 2.3 Duratec which have variable intake cam timing).

Second to lastly, what's better, soke or doke?
Ah, that would teh doke. Less weight in the recip portion of DOHC valvetrain (no rocker arms).

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Z63R said:
Ah, that would teh doke. Less weight in the recip portion of DOHC valvetrain (no rocker arms).
That's a valid point... It wouldn't be possible to do a cam-on bucket SOHC that is also crossflow... or if you did, the valves would really be at the wrong angle.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Z63R said:
The Ecotec is an awesome engine and will be a force to reckon with four-cylinder motorsport.
I disagree...

·
19,806 Posts
Why do you disagree? It has a ton of factory support and makes decent power.

Is it not reliable? :dunno: Educamate me.

I am a Ford guy, so saying that is going out on a limb, LOL... :p

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Z63R said:
Second to lastly, what's better, soke or doke?

I don't know if I'm entirely surprised that you'd be the one to catch that. :p

That was actually a question asked to me by my gf not two weeks ago as we were passing an Si.

"Ryan, what's better soke or doke?" She read DOHC and pronounced it doke without hesitation. It was freaking hilarious, and as I laughed, I just got a confused look in return. :lol:

·
19,806 Posts
Like Seinfeld, you, Sir, have a gift for taking the oft overlooked and verbalizing it.

The credit goes entirely to you. :D

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Z63R said:
Why do you disagree? It has a ton of factory support and makes decent power.

Is it not reliable? :dunno: Educamate me.

I am a Ford guy, so saying that is going out on a limb, LOL... :p
With no major disrespect to ZX3ST.... I'll take the general concensus of the automotive press over his opinion on the matter.

Most Ecotec engines equate to a good engine in search of a real chassis.

My first experience with a 1.6L Ecotec equated to 120MPH in a minivan sized vehicle.... flying along at 5k RPM for quite a while. I was really impressed. Legally, I might add.

(and for what is is worth, I instantly read soke and doke as SOHC and DOHC. ;) )

·
Registered
73 Posts
ZX3ST said:
I disagree...
Well, the ecotec is a really modern, free revving engine (not unlike a duratec) which has a LOT of factory support (unlike duratec, sadly). He is right, they have already been proving themselves at the track. They have developed 'hydramatic' racing transmissions for them, many types of drag shocks, etc. And, they didn't hesitate to start dumping boost to these engines, whether it be supercharged in the production models, or turbocharged at the track. I saw a NOPI chick this summer named Brittney (she's even hotter that her car) running an automatic turbo ecotec into the low twelves, beating a CRX with an 11 foot traction bar like it was sitting still. Don't get me wrong, I hate Chevy's more than any person on this planet, but I've seen proof and substinance to what they have been saying about ecotec. Look for a 240 hp 2.2 version in the pontiac solstice (miata wannabe) late this year. (I did dust an SS supercharged the other day but that's another story). I'm glad that Dodge really underrated their motor as they all dyno 230ish and make probably 260 at the fly, so that I'm still ahead of these quick new cars coming out, like SS cobalt and civic si.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts