161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2
7,494 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey guys,
I have several thousand miles on my contour upgrade..... No drips, no runs and no worries. Highly recommended..... Thanks to Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gonna be ordering one of these up and getting a water temp gauge for that 1/8 npt fitting:)

·
Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2
7,494 Posts
I'm sure we can work something out ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow this looks like a very nice solution to this issue.

I am on my second day of commuting back and forth from home to work(Royal Purple Automotive Tech Support Department) with my newly acquired used 2004 SVT Focus and I am loving this car! It's got 127,000 miles on it though so I WILL be buying some parts. I may just add this to the rotors and timing belt that I need to get.

Awesome web site BTW! (Jimmysidecarr @ SVTperformance.com -Terminator forum moderator and Royal Purple Inc.)

Hey Steve The Whipple is still trouble free cranking out the boost on my 04 Cobra, Thanks for the awesome deal!

Jimmy

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I have a question. What is the torque that is supposed to be used when tightening the three long bolts that attach the housing to the motor? The Focus housing is supposed to be 15 ft lb's I believe, but what is the torque spec for the Contour housing I wonder? The Focus housing has metal inserts where the bolts pass through, Is the same thing true for the Contour housing? If not, I would think that less torque would be required so as to not crack the housing.

·
is REALLY worried about very little things...
5,145 Posts
I didn't even torque mine. I tightened by feel and it was fine. If you don't wrench the F out of it, it will be fine. Torquing down lug nuts and flywheel bolts is way more important than a t-stat housing...

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Just nabbed a stat housing out of a wrecked '98 Contour...main o-ring looks a little suspect though. My SVT, after sitting over a year dry, leaked like hell out of the bottom plug!

One question...the electrical plug to the temp sensor...does the SVT plug fit directly on the Contour sensor?
Thanks

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
So I have a question. What is the torque that is supposed to be used when tightening the three long bolts that attach the housing to the motor? The Focus housing is supposed to be 15 ft lb's I believe, but what is the torque spec for the Contour housing I wonder? The Focus housing has metal inserts where the bolts pass through, Is the same thing true for the Contour housing? If not, I would think that less torque would be required so as to not crack the housing.
I didn't even torque mine. I tightened by feel and it was fine. If you don't wrench the F out of it, it will be fine. Torquing down lug nuts and flywheel bolts is way more important than a t-stat housing...
When I install stuff like that I use a short 1/4 inch drive ratchet so it's very hard to over tighten things.

Just nabbed a stat housing out of a wrecked '98 Contour...main o-ring looks a little suspect though. My SVT, after sitting over a year dry, leaked like hell out of the bottom plug!

One question...the electrical plug to the temp sensor...does the SVT plug fit directly on the Contour sensor?
Thanks
Should plug right in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gonna be getting this setup first thing Monday morning as mine dumped a half a bottle of fluid out after I topped it off on Saturday. Had been slow leaking but two days of cold weather finally was too much for the cheap o-ring on the OEM.

Will be calling you bright and early Steve...got questions about fast shipping and the part number for the temp sensor says it was superseded so just want to make sure I get everything I need.

Thanks in advance for the R&D!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wanted to toss up a THANKS to Steve for the great service, and fast shipping. Got the stat housing kit put on last weekend with no problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Steve sent this out to me right away and it was an easy swap. Took the housing down to the hardware store and put in a 1/8th brass plug. I like the fact that ford uses big ridges on all the housing nipples, makes the chance for a leak less likely. Thanks Steve!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
this needs a full DIY write up so you dont have to read the ENTIRE thread, although the read was fun :lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
i have had a leak for years, after rtving and replacing,twice i put this one in and it's night and day difference, no leaks great fix! oh and i replaced the spring clamps with screw clamps as i imagine they get tired after 125k.

161 - 180 of 213 Posts