Ford Focus Forum banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Got my zetec one in the mail today, I'll report how it goes this weekend!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Mine broke too!! Lol. I'm gonna go to the junk yard and get a housing off a 2000 contour. I'll get new everything. But keep the old thermostat and clean the piss out if it before I use it. TONS of contours at the wreckers. Maybe like 15-17

·
Registered
98 Posts
If I found a Tstat housing from a 2000 Contour on RockAuto.... is it metal?

Steve, you have any of these available still??? I'm just wanting to weigh out my options here.... Mine has been leaking slowly for a LONG time

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
If I found a Tstat housing from a 2000 Contour on RockAuto.... is it metal?

Steve, you have any of these available still??? I'm just wanting to weigh out my options here.... Mine has been leaking slowly for a LONG time
Jon, would you go into Walmart and ask them about an item for sale at Target? That's what you're doing when you ask Steve about these items. Steve is a sponsor of the site and does it to not only help the community but also add business to employer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
Jon, would you go into Walmart and ask them about an item for sale at Target? That's what you're doing when you ask Steve about these items. Steve is a sponsor of the site and does it to not only help the community but also add business to employer.

Have you never walked into Wal-Mart and told them you could get the same product at Target for less?
Maybe that's what he's doing here ...

Not to mention the fact that it's far easier for us layman to navigate RA,,, and it gives us part #'s that we can shop around.
You go to any Ford parts site and you'll not get a PN to shop around.
ALSO, Steve's signature doesn't seem to have updated to the new job (which is a VB error that this site has perpetually had).

·
Registered
98 Posts

I understand thats what my question portrayed but that was not my intention....
I hear about "TStat housing for 2000 Contour" so I immediately look it up on RockAuto to see whats up. RA is nice becuase it shows pictures, details of the part etc etc.... Through looking there I found TWO Motorcraft parts and asked the community a simple question.

Steve was able to answer my question for me, Thank you so much Steve. I've bought parts from Steve in the past so its not like I'm only using him for information to screw him over. I just like to be completely informed before committing to buying something. My initial concern was if the OEM SVT TStat housing is plastic, why would anyone replace a plastic TStat housing with another TStat housing. Apparantly there are alot more points of failure on the SVT Tstat housing as opposed to the Contour TStat housing and it being a better material.

Here's a nice thread showing a comparison (thanks Steve for all the info!):
http://forums.focaljet.com/tasca-auto-group/673641-svt-zetec-upgraded-thermostat-housings.html

That all being said, I've got an EXTREMELY slow leak so its not super critical right now. I'm thinking I'm going to buy a new O-ring for now, try that out? Seems to have worked for some people. Should it fail down the road I'll probably just bite the bullet and pickup the whole kit from Steve. I only need to last a few months considering I plan on leaving the country so going with the "will last forever" route is low on my priority list.

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
Have you never walked into Wal-Mart and told them you could get the same product at Target for less?
Maybe that's what he's doing here ...

Not to mention the fact that it's far easier for us layman to navigate RA,,, and it gives us part #'s that we can shop around.
You go to any Ford parts site and you'll not get a PN to shop around.
ALSO, Steve's signature doesn't seem to have updated to the new job (which is a VB error that this site has perpetually had).
My sig has updated right along with my user name, I couldn't keep my old user name. I may have created it but I used it to bring business for my former employer so I left it to them.

The storefront software most Ford dealerships use is hosted by Trademotion and no it's not perfect but it's about the best we've got at least for now. We can actually turn on part numbers once an account is created, you just have to ask.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm having problems with the housing leaking around the sensor plug threads. I see on the thread where someone else put teflon tape on those threads. Did that solve the problem for you?
The sensor I got from Tasca was in an opened package. I doubt that means anything but it makes you wonder.

Steve, I've been letting it sit like you recommended but there's a puddle of coolant on top of the housing every morning. The sensor plug is pretty wobbly in the housing threads all of the way in. I'll try some of the yellow teflon tape I guess. This leak is worse than the old plug ever was when the o ring needed replaced.

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
When they leak it's typically the housing causing the issue and not the sensor. This isn't a common issue but I have seen it a few times over the years.

PM headed your way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Okay, I give up. The Contour housing and the temp sensor (on top of the housing) in this kit no longer work together without leaking. I've installed and uninstalled 2 housings and 2 sensors and the leak continued. Today I installed the 110 viton o ring suggested in this thread "thermostat-housing-still-leaking-after-replaced." That did not work either. I tried Permatex high temp thread sealant, white tape, yellow tape, it doesn't matter.
I just believe the current parts won't work together.
Steve has been working with me on it but even he can't make crappy parts work. Time to cut my losses and move on.
David
(Update: Reinstalled original SVT t-stat housing with new o-rings and all is well now.)

201 - 213 of 213 Posts