Ford Focus Forum banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quick question for you guys...

Does it matter what the 1/8 NPT plug is made out of? I found a really nice countersunk one made from stainless steel. Most of the others I've come across are made from brass.

Thanks!
~MattS

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
oh wish i had found this stream sooner. Would be a nice mod for the zx3.

This one isn't ideal for a standard Zetec due to the extra holes in the housing but I do have a similar setup that has a housing without the extra holes just for you guys :)

Quick question for you guys...

Does it matter what the 1/8 NPT plug is made out of? I found a really nice countersunk one made from stainless steel. Most of the others I've come across are made from brass.

Thanks!
~MattS
Shouldn't matter as long as you put a bit of teflon tape on before screwing it in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For anyone who bought the contour stat housing (from Steve, of course) and had a shop do it, how many hours labor were you looking at?
I'm considering having a local shop do timing belt & pulleys and water pump (with parts that I will be buying from Steve - promise!) and have a fair idea of labor hours for these. I just don't want to get soaked on the stat housing upgrade labor.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
For anyone who bought the contour stat housing (from Steve, of course) and had a shop do it, how many hours labor were you looking at?
I'm considering having a local shop do timing belt & pulleys and water pump (with parts that I will be buying from Steve - promise!) and have a fair idea of labor hours for these. I just don't want to get soaked on the stat housing upgrade labor.
To do the stat housing? 1-2 hours tops, I don't know what the labor guide says but there's no way it could take longer than that.

There's nothing difficult about it, take the old one off, put the new one on.

·
Snarky Bastard
2,377 Posts
Okay, absolutely silly question time. I think I can do this, but the o-ring that came with the kit...where does it go? Obviously there are two big holes on the housing, but does it "drop in" between the housing and the front connector (#8594A) , or does it press into the hole with the housing and the engine?

Edit: Can you tell I've never changed a thermostat out before? I am starting to suspect it fits around the thermostat itself. Do I need to lubricate this at all? Feel free to talk to me like I'm 9-years old here. Never attempted this before.

Edit # 2: Best advice I heard all day from Jason was to put the new one together (more or less) like the old one. Thats almost too simple! Wish me luck, folks.

·
Snarky Bastard
2,377 Posts
First let me say that Steve...is awesome. He walked me through the process and got the goods to me quicker than expected! I love doing business with him. Another silly question though. Should I be lubing that O-ring? Do I need an additional gasket on the engine side...or just clean it well before putting it on?

Some pictures of my progress this morning (computer side of the enginebay)

Thankfully, its impossible to put the thermostat itself in wrong. I love it when they idiot-proof these things!

·
Registered
987 Posts
^^ I just dab some coolant dripping off of something and rub it around the gaskets. The glycol or whatever is in the coolant will lube the o-rings and gasket.

·
Snarky Bastard
2,377 Posts
Just for giggles, my old unit I just pulled out:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best bet is going to be to call Steve at Tousley Ford. "To order from me just call 1-800-328-9552 and ask for Steve or use one of the methods below."

The parts in Reply 53 can still be added to the cart at Tousley, but he implied earlier that he had a kit that included the plugs and a solution for the Zetec, but neither of those got posted, so its probably best to call him.

I need to replace yet another thermostat housing (my third or 4th depending on how you look at it), but I'm procrastinating, so I don't want to bug him personally now.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Could you please post part numbers and details for the Zetec one?

Thanks!!!
YS4Z*8592*AA
F5RZ*8592*A
*W500015*S437 x3
*W700319*S300
F8RZ*8575*CA

:)

This still avail??
Yes it is.

Best bet is going to be to call Steve at Tousley Ford. "To order from me just call 1-800-328-9552 and ask for Steve or use one of the methods below."

The parts in Reply 53 can still be added to the cart at Tousley, but he implied earlier that he had a kit that included the plugs and a solution for the Zetec, but neither of those got posted, so its probably best to call him.

I need to replace yet another thermostat housing (my third or 4th depending on how you look at it), but I'm procrastinating, so I don't want to bug him personally now.
We haven't done anything with the brass plug, they're easy enough to find so it just makes my life a lot easier not having to keep track of non-oem parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you!!!

I found a picture of the Zetec housing online - looks good, but it might help others to add one to this thread as well (if you have access to one).

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
More observations and questions:

• On the SVT, there has been discussion of using a Viton O-Ring on the lower plug fitting to prevent leakage.
  • On all ZETEC's - there has been speculation that the cause of failure was oil seeping between the housing and the block and causing the O-Ring to swell, cracking the inner flange of the housing and causing the leak.
  • In one instance, the leak was supposedly fixed by removing the O-Ring and fabricating a traditional paper gasket.
Given the above - on all cars - using the Contour housing:

• Would it make sense to use a Viton O-Ring for the housing to block connection - both for oil resistance and heat compatibility?
  • If so, does anyone know the size of the required O-Ring? (Dangerous question as you still see -203 and -202 mentioned for the plug fitting when the correct O-Ring was apparently 7x13x3 mm)
  • Finally - would it be a good idea to use Permatex on the Contour housing? (Both at the top to prevent oil seeping past the gap and at the bottom to prevent coolant seeping out)?
Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not that it needs any more endorsement than its already gotten, but this Contour housing is a truly excellent piece of hardware for our cars. It feels SO much nicer and more well-made than the OEM housing. I installed mine over the weekend due to a leaking freeze plug on my OEM housing and it couldn't have been easier. I realize I could have just probably replaced the o-ring on the plug, but I would rather just replace the whole housing and hopefully avoid dealing with it ever again.

I paid $115 shipped for the whole kit from Steve and only needed to buy the brass 1/8 NPT plug which was $2 dollars at Lowes. If you consider what an OEM housing would have cost (~$70) that would have inevitably failed in the same way as the original, this was a bargain. No question, I would recommend this housing to everyone with an SVTf.

Thanks Steve!!

181 - 200 of 213 Posts