Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was bashing around a bit and found this, It's a stat housing from an old Contour 2.0.

It's a one piece solid moulded housing with threaded inserts in the top, bottom and front cover.

Looks to be a much more solid piece than the SVT housing and it appears to me that it'll work with a very small amount of effort.

On to the pics, it's the Contour housing on the left and the SVT on the right.

Now the sensor in the pic I'm not sure about as I have no way to tell if it's properly calibrated but it's got the same wiring connector and it's threaded although it will require a threaded bushing adapter to use it in this housing as the hole in the top is much larger than the sensor and I don't have a threaded plug for the bottom hole.

The stat o-ring is the same as on the Focus, I do not have the bolts for the stat cover either but they should be easy enough to find.

For the housing, sensor and the front cover it's $61.00.

So, anyone up for an adventure in test fitting?

EDIT- Here's what currently comes with the updated housing.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
^^^ ROFL haahahha

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
He will get at least $150 for a silver sharpie autograph on it.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Update, the contour sensor uses identical resistance to the focus. But why would you need an additional sensor on the t-stat housing? Wouldn't a pipe plug fit in there?

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, the contour sensor uses identical resistance to the focus. But why would you need an additional sensor on the t-stat housing? Wouldn't a pipe plug fit in there?

I'm not entirely sure I understand your post.

The SVT sensor is a push in style so it won't work in the threaded housing which is why I was looking at this other sensor.

The lower hole will just require a blanking plug but at least this time it wouldn't be the push in type thats been so fond of leaking.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Interesting. What year Contour is that housing off of? I just bought a new SVT housing for my yellow car so I shouldn't be needing one for a while, but next time I'm at the junk yard I might pull one off an older Contour and take a look. It does look a little beefier and might make a nice option if it can be made to work.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Interesting. What year Contour is that housing off of? I just bought a new SVT housing for my yellow car so I shouldn't be needing one for a while, but next time I'm at the junk yard I might pull one off an older Contour and take a look. It does look a little beefier and might make a nice option if it can be made to work.
Thanks for asking that question, it made me do some more looking and I found a better housing.

The second one I found is from a 2000 Contour and has the properly sized hole in the top for the sensor I posted pics of previously.

Here it is compared to the '95 Contour housing I posted before,

It's $44.00 for the housing alone then you'd need the water outlet and sensor plus a plug for the bottom hole.

So for the whole works it's $94.00 plus shipping, that's the housing, outlet, sensor, stat, stat o-ring and outlet bolts.

·
is REALLY worried about very little things...
5,145 Posts
I volunteered to be a guinea pig. Ordered from Steve "The Man" today :thumbup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you are looking for someone to test this, consider me in also. Are you offering any sort of reduced price for us "guinea piggies"?

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are looking for someone to test this, consider me in also. Are you offering any sort of reduced price for us "guinea piggies"?
Bmylez got free shipping :thumbup:

It's only going to take one or two people to verify that this all works as it should and theres no reason it shouldn't work.

·
is REALLY worried about very little things...
5,145 Posts
I'm looking forward to having one less part prone to failure. I was telling Steve he needs to research a cheap but durable clutch master cylinder! I already have the billet DSI lever...I can't think of any other little parts that fail...any other ones that people know of?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
There is someone in the FI forum that is using a modified alloy stat-housing.

http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-induction-nitrous/621083-turbocharged-supercharged-zetec-svt.html

Its for a Ford Fiesta RS1800 Zetec. They are going to look into the availability for more units...granted its over the Atlantic, but the price should be better than other metal versions.

If I had a spare 100 sitting around I would call to grab the 2000 stat-housing from you, and the other goodies. Screw in for the win!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you're looking for one of these:

http://passionford.com/forum/general-discussion/331048-2l-black-top-zetec-and-st170-thermostat-housings.html

1800 xr2i

Been following the whole thermostat thing b/c I'd like to replace mine with one that won't fail again (mine has a slow leak) along with some other maintenance things. If that was a clearer picture...
It'd be nice if it was clearer so I could get the engineering number off of it although I probably still couldn't get it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Yeah that is the housing. That would be the ****!

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We need part numbers for that one...anything but plastic...If it's out there "Steve" will find....:)
Without an engineering number (and maybe even with one) I wouldn't hold my breath.

I can't think of any other older Zetec based DOHC engines that were used in the U.S. market other than the Contour/Mystique/Cougar and those all used plastic housings.

Those metal housings are a Euro part which means that even if they are available over there I can't order them from Ford, I'd have to try to source them overseas and the one contact I had seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
The forbidden site may be able to get them...otherwise I know there are a few Ford parts distributor sites that will ship here to the US. Just expect to pay.

Id like to have a part # too.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts