Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing this noise off throttle when I'm decelerating particularly. Sounds kind of like the alternator noise is this video but deeper and more bassy.

This next one is mine.

I've so far replaced the belt tensioner and idler pulley and have got a new motorcraft serpentine belt in the mail. It's hard to even hear the noise outside the car to troubleshoot where it's coming from but I have used a pry bar on the accessories as a stethoscope to listen to them. I can hear the noise in all of them but the loudest and clearest one sounds like the alternator. I just want to be sure before I start replacing things.

The way the noise goes if it's unclear from the video is when I decelerate to a stop or rev in neutral the RPMs fall to idle and then a second or so later there's this vibration or reverberation through the car for a couple of seconds before it settles down. I have also noticed a whining type noise when accelerating through the first 3 gears from the same side of car.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This almost exclusively happens with AC on I suppose because it puts more load on the belt components but it does seem to be audible even with the AC off just far less noisy. I've had people telling me it's the AC compressor but I'm not convinced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts