Ford Focus Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts
Well, if the license plate is visible and meets the display requirements then you'll be fine.
The smoked lights? I see some that are legal but mostly they are not. If they aren't visible during the day at the specified distance then they aren't legal.

I am almost positive that you have to have your plate on your bumper and not just in your window. As far as side markers and tails go, also illegal. I have them done and have never gotten pulled over *knock on wood*.

I do have the plate mounted correctly now. As long as the lights can be seen from the specified distances. I think they could be argued.

I am almost positive that you have to have your plate on your bumper and not just in your window. As far as side markers and tails go, also illegal. I have them done and have never gotten pulled over *knock on wood*.
You are right it does have to mounted to the car. Having it in the front window does not count

I have a couple friends that are cops. They said to not put it in the window because its just a red flag that its not on your bumper like its required to be.

If its not on your front bumper dont put it on at all.
The plate had just been knocked off at the car wash a couple days before. Both officers did evan see it.

I'm sure the vehicle code is more detailed then this. \/ Though it reads as if you could mount it horizontally any where on the car it would be fine as long as it's not more then 4' off the ground.

It is. Just read it. Don't need it on the bumper but somewhere it can be seen at all times. So behind a window with glare on it is probably not acceptable. But you can still put it any where it can be seen as long as it is horizontal and not more then 4 feet off the ground. In front of the car of-course.

Edit:
[/list]
WA license plates

More info on tail light tint...

RCW 46.37.200: Stop lamps and electric turn signals displayed.

(1) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this chapter shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than one hundred feet and on any vehicle manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1964, three hundred feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of a service brake, and which may but need not be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.

(2) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under RCW 46.37.070(2) shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit amber light: PROVIDED, That on any vehicle manufactured prior to January 1, 1969, the lamps showing to the front may emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber. The lamp showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber. Turn signal lamps shall be visible from a distance of not less than five hundred feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.

(3) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this chapter shall be equipped with a center high-mounted stop lamp mounted on the center line of the rear of the vehicle. These stop lamps shall display a red light visible from a distance of not less than three hundred feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and shall be actuated upon application of a service brake, and may not be incorporated with any other rear lamps.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.