Ford Focus Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Re: State Laws Guide

I found this little article on the Washington State of Ecology website. http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/cars/automotive_pages.htm
Emission testing is required by federal law in areas that have had problems meeting health-based air quality standards. In Washington, emission testing is required in urban areas of Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish and Spokane counties.
So I think that if I dont live in those counties, I am exempt and can have race headers if I wanted to correct?

Discussion starter · #26 ·

illegal to modify exhaust to be louder than stock exhaust. lol ?
it states pretty clearly:

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle...

ya im like in a ton of violations, my tail lights side markers and blinkers blacked out but i havent been pulleed over yet knock on wood heh. O and my window tint not going to work either. thanx for the info. Peace

Re: emissions testing

Just an fyi-

I just had my 98 Contour emission tested and if your car is OBDII or newer equipped, they no longer insert the sniffer in the exhaust pipe and rev the car.
They now connect to the OBD port, check O2 sensors and other emission related sensors and take a reading from them. They also read the VIN from the ECU to make sure it matches the car. They will also pressure test the gas cap for leaks.

Good thing is they don't look under the hood or rev the engine. All OBDII testing is done at idle.

So, best thing is if you have a modified flashed ECU or chip, make sure all sensors are functioning correctly or use the stock tune.

so does the front plate have to be a washington plate or can i have my european plates on there. because the only reason they want it so they can bounce there freakin radar gun on it. i have both European plates that i brought back from europe and want to put them on, but not sure if ill get ticketed for it. i want to slap an officer with my fat plate!!

Discussion starter · #30 ·
eurosvt7 said:
so does the front plate have to be a washington plate or can i have my european plates on there...
well only if the washington state department of licensing issued you the euro plate. the RCW says that you need to install all plates issued to you, front and rear.

of course, some of us take liberties in various areas, for various reasons. we just typically don't flaunt the law in this forum; Focaljet likes to avoid liability which is why they prohibit discussing illegal racing & other activities.

i'm not judging anyone -- the reason why i put this guide together was for people to know exactly what the law says, and to be able to interpret the RCW for themselves instead of taking the word of the officer who pulls them over.

I haven't been running a front plate for about a year now. I have it under the seat though. I know a couple of guys that have been pulled over after being at the track and they got out of the ticket by just saying came off the track for driving school and they want us to take them off so that they are not flying off on the track. Basically, simply forgot to put it back on. Now, I thought the last primary there was a vote on eliminating the front plate.

Discussion starter · #32 · (Edited)
fark! they redesigned the RCW website...

YAY! it was a simple find/replace to update the RCW links. they should work again :D

Sorry ocifer I cant hear you. Must've gone deaf from the cherry bomb and resonator on my scort's exhaust. What? oh the focus? it's still under warrenty but I'm sure I'll be seeing you soon bout that.(another 28000 mi or so & the wife's mad I'm counting the days and or miles till I can get my greasy hands on that focus' cherry)

Discussion starter · #36 · (Edited)
there's a difference between RCW and DOT standards. the RCW states that you need to have certain equipment and that equipment must do certain things (e.g. headlights must project light forward while not blinding other drivers, turn signals have to be seen from ### feet) but they don't get into the details of the construction of these parts, the quality standards, etc.

edit: i can't find any specific RCW that says "you can use E-spec headlights instead of DOT spec ones." i wish this guy, for being such an "authority," would learn how to make footnotes.

I'm not quite sure if it is illegal to have that inside the vehicle.. I have friends who do.. They've been pulled over (obviously) for stupid ****.. But.. I'm not sure if they've ever been ticketed for it.. You would think that if its a major issue then cops would be writing out a hell of a lot more tickets if it was more of a legality issue.. Them cops would be busy.. Especially them honda ricers that have it on the side where you can see their tac.. Oh lordy.. Please.. get these ricers off the road!!! ;)

mikeyboy said:
it states pretty clearly:

Unless there is a dB meter reading, it gets thrown out. I got one from Renton, and brought that up in court. The judge for some reason then wanted to go listen to the car, and did. In the parking garage confines it was SO LOUD but he still threw it out.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
AtBlue - i'm just listing what the actual law for the state says. if it's interpreted differently by different officers/judges, that's another story. :)

as for the nitrous bottle mounting - i haven't seen anything specifically about that. i did just add a section i found about audio components needing to be secured. i assume that would be a base requirement for nitrous bottles too (so they don't become projectiles in an accident).

the washington state patrol passenger vehicle equipment guide (similar to this one) also does not mention nitrous bottles.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.