Ford Focus Forum banner

WA State Laws Guide

71K views 68 replies 39 participants last post by  BewareOfButtlice 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: yeah, i've been a slacker to add the other states. does anyone from OR know of a good resource for your codes? the only one i was able to find was really tough to search through.

Washington

WA tint
WA turn signals (front)
WA turn signals (rear)
WA headlights
  • minimum 2, at least 1 on each side (RCW 46.37.040 (1))
  • height: minimum 24 inches, maximum 54 inches - measured from centerline to level ground (RCW 46.37.040 (2))
  • Any lighted head lamps upon a parked vehicle shall be depressed or dimmed (RCW 46.37.150 (4))
  • high beams - reveal persons and vehicles 450 ft ahead for all conditions of loading (RCW 46.37.220 (1))
  • low beams - reveal persons and vehicles 150 ft ahead, on straight level road under any loading. none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver (RCW 46.37.220 (2))
WA additional forward lights
  • maxinum 2 additional forward lamps (in addition to headlights) which are greater than 300 candlepower each (RCW 46.37.270 (2))
WA cowl/marker lights
  • maximum 2 side cowl or fender lamps ... amber or white light without glare (RCW 46.37.210 (1))
  • maximum 1 running-board courtesy lamp on each side ... white or amber light without glare (RCW 46.37.210 (2))
  • may be flashed with turn or hazard warning signals - toward the front of a vehicle: amber, toward the rear: red (RCW 46.37.210 (4))
WA taillights (tail lamps)
  • minimum 2, at least 1 on each side, visible from 1000 ft at night or in inclement weather (RCW 46.37.050 (1))
  • height: minimum 15 inches, maximum 72 inches - measured from centerline to level ground (RCW 46.37.050 (2))
WA brake lights (stop lamps)
WA rear license plate (light)
WA reflectors (rear)
WA emissions
  • vehicles 5 through 25 years old need emissions inspection biannually. see reference for schedule. (WAC 173-422-031)
WA exhaust (noise)
  • illegal to modify exhaust to be louder than stock exhaust. Note: the law states that you cannot be fined for this unless "proper authorities" conduct a scientific test to prove your exhaust is louder than 95dB -- see citation for more info. (RCW 46.37.390 (3))
WA tires
  • no exposed ply or cord, either naked eye or when probed (RCW 46.37.425)
  • no bulges, bumps or knots "affecting the tire structure" (RCW 46.37.425)
  • tread depth must be greater than 2/32 inch (RCW 46.37.425)
  • cannot say "not for highway use" or "for racing purposes only" or similar (RCW 46.37.425)
  • no metal studs between April 1st and November 1st (RCW 46.37.420 (2))
WA lowering
  • lowest ground clearance should be greater than or equal to the height of the tire sidewall (the height from the roadway to the lowermost portion of any rim) (RCW 46.61.680)
WA license plates

WA sound system
  • all sound system components must be securely attached (RCW 46.37.680)

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: State Laws Guide

Good thread - Charles should sticky it.

As for the exhaust thing, I emailed the state patrol equipment officer and he said that technically you can't install anything louder than stock, but that no officer will cite you unless its louder than the legal limit of 95dB (wonder where/how they measure that).

#4 ·

...technically you can't install anything louder than stock, but that no officer will cite you unless its louder than the legal limit of 95dB (wonder where/how they measure that).
by "Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169" of course! silly!

it will cost $59 to download the SAE J1169 document. lame. i did find a motor trend article with pictures of a guy sticking something in a tailpipe heh.

my suggestion box was to sticky one of these posts in each of the regional forums, and the local teams can compile all the relevant data into it. i'd like to get OR and ID added, then AK & MT. are there foci in MT? driving over from boston, i got a lot of funny looks in montana, not sure if that was because of the car, or the yellow, or because it was in '01 when they weren't as widespread yet.

#6 ·

So we dont need front plates?? Thought that was a law here, always thought it was lame that we dont need front tabs but still need the plate

#8 ·

I'm in violation of RCW 46.37.200 (1).

#11 ·

So we dont need front plates?? Thought that was a law here, always thought it was lame that we dont need front tabs but still need the plate
matt's right, both plates are required. (updated to reflect that with citation) actually, the exact wording of the law says that you have to apply all plates that you are issued -- so perhaps if you know somebody at the DOL and could convince them to only give you ONE plate...

or take it off and keep it under your seat, with a screwdriver, and if a cop pulls you over, tell him you took it off before you went thru the car wash and forgot to put it back on.

#12 · (Edited)

i'm about to start on the OR guide, can anyone find a nicer/more broken-up version of their state laws than this one:

Chapter 158 Oregon Laws 2003? thanks.

fun.

#14 ·

what about underbody lights?

I am originally from washington state and when I go home to visit the family I dont want to be pulled over

#15 ·
Emissions regulations question

In looking at the regulations listed for emissions, I see the info about intervals and the notes about noise, but no info on smog tests themselves. Is there someplace else where we could find more explicit details about how tests are conducted, etc.? For instance, in CA, I think that inspectors look for some kind of "CARB" approval indication on any intake or other engine modification. Furthermore, CA does not permit any kind of deviation from stock catalytic converter for cars produced after 1996. Is that the same in WA? Just looking for some kind of "official" specs on what is and is not legal.

#17 ·
Re: Emissions regulations question

is anyone trying to compile a simple ist of or laws?
well, my progress quickly stalled on this when things @ work picked up. i think i'm going to put more time into it over the holidays and get OR added. do we even have any jetters in MT, ID, AK?

#18 ·

well you dont need front plates if you get it oked from the state patrol
" PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol" (RCW 46.16.240)

#19 ·

...are there foci in MT? driving over from boston, i got a lot of funny looks in montana, not sure if that was because of the car, or the yellow, or because it was in '01 when they weren't as widespread yet.
My brother just visited me here in WA from MT, while i was doing a safety check on his p.o.s 84 honda crx he was out driving my 03 svt....he got back and told me he'd never seen one in MT, and that I would have those Big truck driving HillBillys crapping their pants. Needless to say, he was impressed. wasnt looking forward to getting back in his 'cough' ride.

#20 ·

the only legal underbody lights are yellow... in wa anyway.

#21 ·

I found this little article on the Washington State of Ecology website. http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/cars/automotive_pages.htm
Emission testing is required by federal law in areas that have had problems meeting health-based air quality standards. In Washington, emission testing is required in urban areas of Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish and Spokane counties.
So I think that if I dont live in those counties, I am exempt and can have race headers if I wanted to correct?

#26 ·

illegal to modify exhaust to be louder than stock exhaust. lol ?
it states pretty clearly:

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.