Ford Focus Forum banner

UK built , RS 500bhp+ Track car Build (still street legial) 56k lol

127K views 320 replies 53 participants last post by  Focused 
#1 · (Edited)
Mk1 Focus RS 500bhp+ Racecar Build

Hey all hows things , first post so be kind!

My names Jack , some will know me , others wont , some might know my car also

Long story short , My Car = My Life , worked my ass off at 17 > 18(going on 19) to get it , nothing other than my reg plate which was my 18th birthday pressy has been given to me.

Bought it on Friday the 13th of march 2009 when i was 18 , couldn't insure it when i was 18 so had to wait 2 months until i was 19 so i could. it sitting on the drive was the biggest tease in the world!

so this is a little story about my car and its progress to date, and future plans! , enjoy!

so like i said beging of 2009 i started looking for my new car, at 18 i was going through a JDM faz with a close mate having a 800bhp skyline , i was determined to go jap and get into that scene! , looked for a EP3 and started to find a few with my budget , but one think kept stopping me , INSURANCE! , young driver insurance is nuts , but aswell as wanting a new car , i had the speed bug in me so i dint want to go for something slow and JDM , it had to have a bit of get up and go about it!

long story short it turns out just about any import car is high on insurance for that reason, its a import! :( , so the list was cut short to what i liked and could afford to buy and insure!

The RS was actually a laugh , i didnt think i would get insure due to the fact it was 1. a RS , 2. a Turbo! , but thanks to its CAT1 alarm , it was insurable !

took me 2 months to look for one i liked and this beauty turned up at blackburn, over my price range but justified due to the fact it only had 17k on the clock!

love at first sight! and i bought it!

m1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

nothing wrong with it btw! i was just cleaning the engine bay!

like iv said above had to wait untill may to get behind the wheel!

m2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

got to take my hat off to the previous owner , she was mint! lovely standard car and that was my plan to keep it standard! lol soon got side tracked! lol

took it along to a PH RR day at wallace where the car made a healthy looking 221bhp (213bhp standard)

m3 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

then i got into the polished bliss way of life and gave it a detail!

m4 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

m5 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

by this point it was on about 20k , thought it would be rude not to show off my "practically" concourse car ,so i did a few car shows with it!

m6 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

was also up a alford for the SIDC day just to show the car again , but i heard track was on so i went on just for fun! was a good laugh! (leaning over makes you go faster!)

m7 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

a wee vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8jmu5R7LpY

another show

m8 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

now by now i had got a few things done to the RS's engine , decat full system , remap and a KN

m9 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Much to my surprise she made 300bhp !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgX7EgbumI

back on track at another SIDC day

m10 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LChIj3socco

Then came a big deal for me ! , after i had done them little sprints if you want to call it that , i wanted to go faster , rather than sit down and think about maby going to KH or that , i decided to go to the RING! lol

i spent about £2000 just on bits for the car to make sure it made it back , a heap of little bits that were bothering me and also some coilovers as i found on track i was moving a bout to much under braking ! not what you need at high speeds at the ring!

had a ace trip and made it back in one peice which is always a bonus!

m11 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

lapping in the rain!

m12 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

ace photo!

m13 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

little vid ! , i think this was my 6th lap, 9:45 i think was the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682m0vrbzX8

, and that was it ! i was hooked on track days and speed!

so as soon as i got back , guess what! , SIDC day again! lol

m14 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

followed swiftly by a KH day!

m15 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

then because the car had been well behaved , and not cost me anything , i had a few coin sitting so bought a set of TD pro race 1.2's!

m16 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

m17 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

m18 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and now i had a spaire set of rims i bought 2 slicks and fitted them for feutre track days!

m19 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

didnt have to wait long!

m20 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

m21 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

then got a hybrid turbo and 4-1 manifold on

main2122 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

m22 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyONOj_exI

glowing mani!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hvTm7vOK8

then i started to think more track!

m23 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

365mm AP racing disks and calipers were fitted! aka fooking big stoppers!

along with a pro200 seat and SD 6 point harness!

m24 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

one final clean as i knew it was going to go down hill from here!

m25 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also wheels got a make over and a full set of slicks!

m26 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

slicks and ap's!, tight!

m27 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

action shot!

m28 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsJm3GMlZ1k

keeping the GTR behind me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2GlZ0Z5bVY

Also did KH backwards , kinda hard and i dont like it if im honest! also had a off!

photo(31) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

opps!

vid 1 off at 2:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugt0ZLQG_l8

vid 2 nearly at 4:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pncqaf1r4iw

poor pic!

m29 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and the car as it sits today!

m30 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also plan on doing Time Attack next year (just some OHW's)

Plans for the car!
Full poly bush the car w/powder coated everything w/new nuts and bolts
KW V1's or some AST or something custom
Adjustable rear camber arms
Adjustable top mounts of some sort (looking like evo mounts)
Vibra tech race mounts
3" BCS system
Front mount intercooler
Under floor swirl pot w/044 pump
Live Map by sarbe
7-point Safety Devices cage w/harness bars + cross door bars
Another pro2000 seat and harness
Rear defuser/flat floor
Flocked dash w/custom radio blank (made already)
WRC ex-Mcrae MSPORT bonnet (got)
Fiberglass rear boot
Poly carb windows
Sparco electric fire system
Electric cut off

I want 400bhp at least and similar ftlb's
-------------------

thanks for all the comments guys!

bought some more bits and bobs for the RS ,

got the bonnet sent to a mate for fixing (it came of a WRC's car so was kinda bashed up haha!)

bnt by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

bnt2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

next got a carbon radio surround for the car , the dash will be going away to get flocked some point soon and then this will go in with my custom radio blank i made , it looks shinny but its matt finish

cfradio by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

then got my other seat and fitted that! matching pair !

seats1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

next been toying with the idea for the rear diffuser , got two options top is like off a RX7 bottom is off a S2 lotus ,

diff by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

got a bit carryed away in photoshop! haha

IMG_8870 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

think the lotus one is what im going to do!

enjoy!

--------

so still waiting on my bonnet and dash lol , did say no rush to both of them!

But that doesnt meant i havnet been spending money! Sadly this time it was just to fix the car rather than mod's :(

bairing collapsed , driveshaft snapped and flange chewed up ! expensive times !

Fordy parts for the RS are scary! ;
£430 drive shaft
£198 flange
£52 bearing
£12 hub nut
£3 circlip

so after this !

snapped by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

shes back on the road!

My collection of shafts! lol (now have spaires and theres still the 2 on the car!!)

spairs by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also bought these to fit! (not looking forward to that tbh!)

poly by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and also got some vibra race mounts for the car from a good pal, pics of them on the car! these things are ****** solid! haha

mount1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

mount2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Cant wait to get the dash back! but my luck it will turn up just as im away offshore next week!

iv never been so amused by one thing

dash by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

i honestly <3 this dash haha

-------

got my sparco wheel and life line hub sorted ! finishes off the inside nicely!

wheel by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also got a custom fuel swirl pot getting made , so ordered a heap of fittings and line and fuel filter and 044 pump :D

fittings by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

got a white line adjustable rear rool bar coming , last track day tomorrow and the poly bush kit is getting fitted next week! not looking forward to stripping it all down tbh! haha rusty !

-------------

first time the focus didnt make it back up the road :( water pipe blew got that fixed ,and the water fooked my 3 week old alternator :(

also wishing i never started doing this on my drive haha

photo(39) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

the rear is finally apart and iv sent it off for powder coating and got all new nuts and bolts from CarPartsExpress and finaly going to fit my poly bush kit!
----------

well thats the worse job done imo! full car strip down on the underside , everything off and got blasted and then sent to the powder coaters and painted in subsea black paint , fingers crossed that should be it done for life haha

fully powerflex bushs and all new nuts and bolts from ford and car parts express (a scary price tbh! the mark up on these must be crazy! some of the bolts are £15 each!)

but its done ! 6 days turn around which is not bad imo!

Need to do a shout out to my best mate kev from leathen motors ! for only being 22 the boys skill level of work is second to non! also nexis for getting the coating done in double quick time!

Done by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

shiny!!

--------

ok so for the new engine turbo set up , i needed shot of my scorpion 2.5" system , 3" system was made to order , 4 1/2 weeks later it turns up!

rsbitss (1) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

rsbitss (2) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

rsbitss (3) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

0.5" makes all the difference !

rsbits (1) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

much smoother design

rsbits (2) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

excuse the underside , its in for mot wed , getting waxoiled then!

rsbitss (4) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also fitted my race rear anti roll bar , it took a month to come from auz!

rsbits (4) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and another power add'er!

rsbits (8) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

rsbits (9) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

rsbits (7) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

thanks!

------------

right another update! . Was late home from my last trip so iv only had 10 days to do things and get stuff sorted!

first things first it to say thanks to a mate , scotty , aka Kerr Sport

managed to get my cage fitted on his tot while i was offshore

i love it ! by far the best looking bolt in cage imo!

photo 3(1) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0017 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0007 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0013edz by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also got the battery tray fitted , but haven't ran the cable yet (red wire under the passenger seat) as im indecisive where to drill the bulk head

also did order a universal weld in bar kit for the seats , turns out the focus is too fat and iv had to order more bar so i can make my own kit up ! total pain tbh! as im away offshore soon and its not turned up yet!!

bought this gear stick tower , it shifts the hole mech about 7" up , so the gear stick is closer but doesn't increase the throw , believe it or not its a gen ford motorsport part lol

down side! , i think i might have to hack my dash to bits to get it to fit! ;(

photo 3 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also bought this engine crank breather ! standard one cant cope with 350+

photo 4 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

since the air bags are gone for good i thought id chop on and remove all the extra sensors and loom , only did the rear half of the car , still got the front loom to chop up but i think il leave that untill the engines out!

said sensors burred into the loam!

photo 2(2) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

wires!

photo 1(3) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

MORE wires ! haha

photo(42) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also got the loom stripped and then wrapped the loom in proper loom tape (u can see it in the photos above )

also my waste gate turned up tial mvr 44mm , rather large now i hold in it my hand :/ hope it fits in the bay!

photo(41) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and just a semi arty shot of the motor lurking!

lurking2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

so iv got the following waiting on turning up but i can bet they will turn up once im away! :

Swirl pot (seriously been taking its time)
Sachs 4 paddle clutch
Custom 4-1 manifold
GTX3071r

custom sized swirl pot from race-tech

Swirl pot by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and GTX3071r suppled by sarbe !

turbosnail1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

turbosnail2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
Spectacular. :thumbup:

#5 ·
Hells bells. Bet she's an absolute beast on track. Bravissimo.
You've got more good stuff in your first post than some people have had their entire history posting here :lol:
Welcome to [fj]!

#6 ·
that's it. now i gotta flock my dash. that looks amazing. should do my doors and side panels too. also your radio blanket is a cool idea. is there still a stereo in there? probably not. also i really like the battery location. wonder if i can do teh same with my strut brace being there.

thsi car is amazing.

#8 ·
haha thanks guys ! but theres more! i went to split it up but the topic had to be approved before i could post more :rock:

any way!

Well another part of the puzzle arrived 4-1 manifold :D beefy!

RS mani by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

And the waste-gate take off :) not meany rs's with this I don't think

That's all for now !

----------------

so started laying out the fuel pump/external fuel set up , this consists of a bosch 044 pump , sytech filter and checkvalve and a custom racetech swirl pot so it all sits flush with in the wheel well so i can then fire wall it for MSA regs

swirlpotsetup by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

but its 1oC out side and blowing a wind so i thought f-that and came back inside and just built up the turbo manifold just for something to do lol

wasteturbomani by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

turbowastemani by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

turbomani by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

weldsmin by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

haha my mum loves me! but this is my kinda art! :lmao:

art by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

--------------

some more automotive p0rn!

these honestly look to good to put in my cars dirty engine bay haha

ID1000's should fuel the beast just fine! , and a boost i never got hammered by import tax ! haha

id1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

id2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

id3 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

id4 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

all for now :( as the bank ballance is nae looking good !

---------------

ok so yesterday i lied! lol this is the last thing for a while ! lol bank ballance really does need a week to its self to recover haha

DSC_0014e by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0022e by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0018e by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

porsche 996 GT3 clutch 4 paddle (clearly) going to be a complicated woman in traffic but should do the job nicely when out on track , im quite on/off with my clutch anyway! im sure the box will love this!

Big thanks to Ben at AMD for sorting this out for me :D

------------

minor update , plumbing now done . just got to wire it all up and take the feeds from the fuel tank ect ect

Fuel set up by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

-------------------

another bit of the puzzle :) thanks to demon performance centre for this one

fly1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also finally got the bonnet home! lol but think il be defo waiting till the better weather before its going on

bonnet (3) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

bonnet (1) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also got a new mount for my go pro , mounted on my roll cage , looks alright but its kinda dark , but looks alright tho! im sure i can brighten it up a little on the camera settings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB3PL_5lwTc

----------------

Another bit came today , excited about this one as iv heard nothing but awesome things and iv drove a few rally cars and they all have locking diffs and i love the way they drive so this should suit me down to the bone :D

Kazz Adjustable 1.5 Way diff :D

diff by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

(and incase your wondering thats gearbox oil its covered in , and yeh i hate the smell of it too! )

Thanks to paul @ co-ordsport for this !

-------

another new bit , AEM water meth injection kit , bought this purely to try and keep the EGT's down lower and in turn increase reliability , well thats what i told my self when i bought it anyway lol , going to have it set up so it only comes on on high boost as fingers crossed the car shouldnt need it on low boost !

watermeth by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also going to take the dash back out and remove the heater matrix and A/C exchanger and some more loom stripping of anything thats not needed , and hopefully get a hole drilled to run my battery cable through the fire wall and then plumb in a small race/rally fan so i can still see where im going lol

well since im now saving for the engine im officially skint haha but iv been buying little bits and bobs and now started on the "free" mods lol

weight , this is a big thing , and less weight means faster every where!

so since im 99% sure i cant fit the gear stick tower with the heater matrix in the car , im binning it all and got a little light weight heater that should help "warm" the car or demist the window , il be fitting a heated front screen as well

Untitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and staying in theam , did this today

Untitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

there is a small tare on the pass side wheel tub, so il get that welded up ( i had something heavy in the boot years ago and it bashed the side but only dented the tub , was just being noise and had a look and turns out its ripped the metal so will get that stitched back up) also found 4 half rust holes , not sure whats on the under side but there is 4 holes that are all the same , you can see it in the photo as like grey marks , will get the grinder out and weld them up

so after half a day with the heat gun i had removed a grand total off...... 2kg :/ makes me wonder if there's much point in doing the front lol

Right got some more little jobs done today ,

Got the dash out , then in , then out , then in (this went on for some time , and i had to remove the front cage to get it out )

but with a bit of trimming it fits!

photo 1(4) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

iv had to loose the bottom part of the heater (did the foot side of things)

but i get to keep the standard heater witch although will weigh a ton , allows me to keep the car warm or cool :D

while i had the dash out i ran the power cable for my battery in the boot, now i could of ran the cable through the door gromet , but due to me wanting to do motorsport with the car , if... any thing ever got bashed (door/wing) theres a high chance it would cut my battery cable and thats the last thing i want so i drilled a hole in the fire wall and chucked the cable through it (wrapped in some tape to hopefully stop it rubbing though)

so this then allowed me to fit my battery in the boot!

photo 4(1) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

thanks to G at carpartsexpress for the crimps and cable :)

then just because i had it lying about i fitted my 2nd LED light strip wired off the boot switch , just makes seeing things in the boot a bit easier

Boot by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

yes theres still masking tape on the cage as im not finished spraying in the boot yet :)

---------

Well thats me bit the bullet so to say! , just placed my order for a fully custom zetec engine rated to 500bhp+ , should be a monster of a engine!

anyway ordered some more parts , got to go down to dundee UPS as the turnips dont have a Aberdeen base.... seriously :/

some more parts that didnt come via UP****e

Monster KN!!!!4" flange , then 9" tall and tappered from 6" bottom to 4 5/8's" at the top!! you can seriously probably fit two KN Gen2's for the RS inside this thing! lol

filter by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

The KN with the morrette pod , should do the job nicely of getting the cold air right where i need it !

photo 2(3) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also wrapped my manifold in that DEI titanium stuff , took ages and used about 65 foot of the 1" wrap!!! , still need to nip the cable ties and then chop the ends of them but it does look sweet as!

manifold by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Well some will know the body work is the poor part on my car , it really does need a full respray , but the body work and new wheels is 2014's project , so tomororo im going to machine polish the car up so i can get some decent pics , untill then heres the bonnet!

Bonnet by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

im not going to lie , the catchs stick out (as it just them being there and not actually sticking proud ect more than they actually do) , but it now means on track i can open the bonnet up with out shutting of the engine if something happens

failing that imo i think they are in the best place for the catchs ,( seen some others and they didnt look right imo)

the joys!

---------

Any way , gave the car a quick clean , but had the camera on ISO1600 (for those that dont know cameras this basically is a setting that you can use in low lighting that makes the pictures come out brighter (ideal if your shooting rally cars in a dark part of a forest) but the higher ISO you have the more "noise" (pixelated look) you get on your photos , so after 200 photos i realised i had the camera on this setting :/ (since my car wasn't moving it wasn't needed and it effects the picture quality) so i went home and these were the only 5 i was sorta happy with

DSC_0109 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0100 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0091 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0034 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0024 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

on another note , engine is now 3 weeks away ! but while i was having a look though my photos of various engine bays i realised i couldn't use the stock FPR with the new intakes fuel rail , so another £200 spent that i hadn't planned for for a new regulator and fittings !

now other than the FMIC and gear box bits i think i basically have it all!

-------

ta guys!

well i took some finally shots of the car , just in case it doesn't go back together when i take it apart! lol

DSC_00666 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_00622 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_00554 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0041 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

DSC_0029 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

only other progress is that i forgot i needed a FPR , so bought one of them

rsbits (4) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

did a qick bolt up to just have a look for any issues

rsbits (1) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

And there was! , basicly the positioning of the wastegate meant that the screamer pipe hit the decat , not ideal , but then you were limited by how far you could turn it due to the fittings on it which left me with this prob!

rsbits (2) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

resolved !

rsbits (3) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and a final shot of the turbo/mani/wastegate/intake set up!

rsbits (5) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

also plumbed in the AEM water/meth kit and did a test with it and it all works fine

photo(47) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Also ordered a 1 off intercooler from SpecR , its going to be the 2nd one fitted to a mk1 focus , but iv been trying for ages to get this intercooler made up (not nes with specR) but its the garret core and imo its the best out there , so it should be here in about 2 weeks time

and got all new syncros and bearings for the gearbox and going to get it freshend up when the engine comes out !

----------

Sadly dont have any photos , will be down tomorrow again so will get some more then

Friday about 2:30pm , got the car down into the shed and got it up onto axel stands and removed the front of the car , 8pm engine and box were out the car , got home about 10pm

Saturday , got up at 9am had to go to a parts place to get a new tensioner and some break pipes as some were corroded so thought it would be easier and neater to fit new ones when the engine is out , got down to the shed about 11am , built up the new engine fitting the new intake , exhaust manifold and external oil pump set up and new flywheel and clutch , bolted the box onto the new engine and had it back in the car by 6pm , then just plumbed in the new vacuum pipes and other bits and bobs and called it quits at 10pm as it was my birthday!

Sunday , got down made up the fuel lines and system in the engine bay , set the oil pump pressure and then fired the engine up at 10am! , it lives! , spent the rest of the day putting on the turbo/wastegate finished at 6pm

Found a few issues on the car, needs a new drive shaft bearing , blead the breaks , a CV boot is got a pin hole in it , so im ordering all that and hopefully that should be all done tomorrow and then i can fill the box with oil ,

still waiting on my inter-cooler , should of been here Thursday past , hoping to get it on Wednesday so i can then put the car back together and fire her up and let here build up water pressure so i can check for leaks and then its just a case of getting it down to sarbe for a custom decat and screamer pipe and hopefully a awesome map and some nice figures!

will get some photos tomorrow of the oil girl!

-----------

Well got down tonight swapped the bearing over on the half shaft , got a CV boot from fords, wrong oane :wall: so took apart my spare shaft and swapped boots , bled the clutch , bled the breaks

so this was friday just before i took it out

engineout by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

now for this oil pump , this is a front on look of it so you can see how much lower the pump sits

oil pump front by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

oil pump side by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

oil pump 2 , shows how close it is to the shaft

oilpumpplub by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

nearly there! just this FMIC to get and fire it on and its going down the road this weekend to sabre !

engineshot by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and the last one to show her sitting on all 4's again! :)

deck by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

hopefully get this intercoler and get its front back on and then i can sort the idel out and then il be happy! untill then notthing much i can do now!

------
Well last update for a while i think !

quick photo of it down on the ground and back to gether (well didnt put the lights back on as i was 99% sure the car wasnt going to go on the back of the pick up !

frs1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

out in the sun!

frs2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and i was right ! :rlmao: so bumper back off

loaded onto the work horse!

frs3 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and a 3am shot out side my mates as we set off sunday

frs4 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

so long story shot , me and my mate set off at 3am (had to go into shell aberdeen to get fuel so even when we did set off we had to go 10 miles in the wrong way!)

so 525 miles we set off on our way to Spec R alloy , this is due to me having a area six intake and the pipe had to be made up on the car.
Was about as exciting drive as to be expected in a 90bhp t350 transit van tbh! lovely day all the way down the road was like 15oC (to us scots thats like summer and we were sweating haha)

was an alright drive down tbh , motorways are full of idiots (nearest motorway to me is 70 odd miles away and even then its only 2 lanes of traffic) got down at just before 12 , had a chat with pete and unloaded the car and turned around and came back home

16 hours of driving , 1 stop on the way down , 2 on the way back and im now carless! but imo if you want the best (sarbe's maps and spec R's coolers) you have to travel , and i travelled 525miles so no one (with the exception of a few Inverness boys) has an excuse that they are to far away now :stir: :lmao:

plan is once pete has the intercooler fitting and catch tank he is then going to take it to the boys at sarbe and they are going to build a 3" exhaust and screamer pipe for the waste gate and then fit my injectors , bigger map sensor and a hole load of my little bits and bobs (as there will be a few no doubt!) and get there mapping skills out and see what the car can do :drool:

-----------

#11 ·
What cams are you running and what rpm will you turn to? I assume you are planning on turning 8-9000 if you went with an external oil pump. I think your plenum is pretty small if those are, in fact, your plans. You should be running one with a minimum of 3 liters volume.

#15 ·
Hello , cams are AreaSix's own reground custom for this engine , RPM is sadly limited as im still on standard management so 7000rpm is the max the standard ECU will allow the car to rev to , next years plans is a sequential box and M800 management

The plenum is again designed by my engine builder (areasix) so he knows better than me what was needed , only down side to the manifold is the runners are a little short so torque was a little lower than if i was on a ford racing item for example

But still the car managed to make 430ftlb's with this intake and 3.6kg flywheel @25psi

They did a run @28psi and with out any other tuning of the ignition,fuel,timing it made 570bhp/480ftlb's but i told them to turn it down due to fears of the gearbox blowing to bits (the RS has a revised MTX75 box with bigger driveshafts) this in turn = more expensive than normal 2.0l zetec trans parts !

#12 ·
Only photo of mine since i got it back! been enjoying it to much! haha

Car made 480bhp/380ftlb on low boost!

Gearbox is now away for its rebuild !

back by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

The cars an animal ! low boost is super smooth for putting the power down , and high boost is smooth but the pull and throw back into the seat you get is silly!

I dont need another gear, I need another 2!

brief spec
Engine
· AreaSix 500HP+ 2.0l Custom Zetec
· AreaSix Zeroloss Intake
· OBP Oil pump
· Nortec 4-1 manifold
· TTV Racing Flywheel 3.6kg
· GTX3071r
· Tial MV-R wastegate
· Sachs 4 paddle clutch
· SpecR Garret Intercooler
· Injector Dynamics 1000cc
· Live Mapped by Sabre
· AEM WaterMeth Injection
· Custom Decat & Screamer
· 4” MAF
· SpecR catch tank
· Will Pedley Breather
· Sytec FPR & aeroquip fittings
· Mocal DPC turbo filter
· KN & hoses
· Swirl pot set up
· New Ford Boost valve
· Heat wrap

Interior
· Flocked Dash
· Sparco Pro2000’s x2
· Sparco side mounts x2
· Sparco floor subframes
· Safety devices harness x2
· Ford Rally sport shifter
· Safety devices rollcage
· Painted
· Valary battery relocated
· Scangauge2
· Stack oil & boost gauge
· Lifeline steering hub
· OMP boss
· Sparco 323 330mm wheel
· CarTek GT isolator

Suspension
· Full powder coat
· Full Powerflex bushs
· All new Ford Bolts/Nuts

GearBox
· New Ford Bearings
· Kaaz LSD
· New Ford Syncros
· New Ford Clips
· New Ford Seals
· New Ford 3rd Gear
· New Ford Release bearing
· New Ford speedo drive
· Rebuild

Brakes
· AP Racing 364mm kit
· Hel Braided lines
· Padgie RS14 pads

Various
· Roose Water hoses
· Bolts
· Team dynamics 18” ET35
· ST170 HID’s
· USDM rear lights
· Color coded handles
· Splitter
· WRC bonnet

First outing will be fintry 17&18th of aug! , not what the cars built for but now its done i just want to do something to enjoy it! hope it dont rain!

Right , so the box is away getting the diff installed and rebuilt , so iv had some bits and bobs lying about the room so i thought i better get on with fitting them!

but first of i treated my self !

New alpine suit and addais boots :) , most expensive pair of shoes iv ever bought might i add lol !

should keep me in one bit for longer should the worst happen!

next some photos of the custom down pipe and screamer

its incredibly tight up there , and i need to take the screamer pipe off for some heat wrap treatment!

so iv had these for a few weeks now

Lifeline zero2000 electric fire extinguisher and a CarTek electric GT isolator

both reasons for them being electric is if i do go out in about in the car i was paranoid some little ***** would see the two "pull" cords and pull them , now when the cars not being used in completion i could happily have them disconnected inside the car so they didnt do anything if pulled , but with my luck they would keep pulling on them expecting something to happen and hall them right out of the car , and these can sometimes be a pain in feeding thought the firewall ect ect so just thought it would nicer , neater and keep my happy if they could only push two little buttons that did nothing lol

so think im going to mount this here

think im going to put the arm switch here for the lifeline extinguisher (excuse the open loom , no point in doing that up untill this is all wired in)

fitted the bottle to the floor

then i fitted the live switch for the cartek issolator and lifeline "get wet" button haha

so i just need to wire up the isolator and extinguisher and thats another two jobs off the list! (it is getting smaller i swear! haha)

on the dyno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLJ4xpaKT8

and on a road in france lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y1n3zd5_ik

thanks

#13 ·
Ill be over there in a few months (military). I really would like to see this car.

#16 ·
If the power is peaking at 6700 my hunch on the IM is correct. But for only turning to 7k You have the best setup preserving the most amount of torque. If you want to turn it out further you will need a larger plenum.

I wouldn't worry about the the MTX75, I blew the clutch up in mine but the trans held strong. I probably had 20+ 7k clutch drops on slicks at 300 wtq. I had my boost ramp up by speed, Full boost at anything less than 40mph meant lots of wheel spin even on 24x8" MT slicks.

#17 ·
did you watch the vid? haha , the peek power is at 6500rpm , the engine is build to rev to 8300rpm but the standard ECU just wont allow it :(

next year standalone and we will see what she will do , got to mind this could of been 570bhp on pump gas (ours is 99ron) but i pussyed out haha

#24 ·
ive got a 3.41 final drive pinion and ring, 4th does 154@7800rpms

i know 6800rpm in 5th = 182mph output speed. :eek::D

#29 · (Edited)
hey , yeh plan on doing more uk tracks once iv got my trailer licene sorted out so im good to tow it everywhere :) , where about you from?

hey just noticed....

why u being a girl and still suck thru MAF? put ur big boy pants on and go blow thru.

also just a heads up i never had luck with my ID1000's with those purple adapter hats sealing right, they always seemed to seap so i got rid of those adapters and run my with no adapter. (just had to mod the -10AN rail shorter to accept them)

and i have a 4 puck solid disk clutch also, its ok the engagment isnt that bad but ive had issues with mine slipping when i got north of 550+WHP everytime.
maf is a far better way to tune the car , its harder to tune , but far more acurate thats what the mappers wanted so thats what i ran ,why do you think every car manufacturer uses maf and not map sensor seeing as the map sensor is much cheaper! The maf has much higher resolution than a map sensor, plus on off boost throttle you can be on very light load or full throttle and still remain on the same load sites with a map sensor, not so with maf :)

was it a sachs ? i ran 570bhp flywheel and had no issues? cant be far off 550whp

SOOOO! first time used in anger i guess (just incase any other time can be mistaken for being used genitally haha :rlmao:)

Entered a local hillclimb

For those that have never been , its basicly a point to point , lasting from anything from 25 seconds up to 90 ish (in the UK anyway) normaly on a tight , twisting ,hairpin , deceiving bended route going up down and round and round! perfect to take a 500bhp fwd car geared to 170mph round !lol :cry:

due to the offshore life (see there is set backs!) i pretty much missed out on the few time attack (and super lap scotland (haggis TA)) rounds i had planned , so seen i was home for this and got it entered as a shake down!

I was never going to win my class (although there was only 2 off us in it lol) because the guy i was up against was a vetrain of the track , and him and his car has 10yrs+ of experiance on me! and then there was the slight issue that his car was a a smidge over a ton in weight , 3/4 made of carbon fiber , and 800bhp+ in the engine department , oh and its twin charged so it pretty much always has that 800bhp on tap ! lol any way enough with excuses, i was there to have fun and test out the car!

ed1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

all prepered! looks semi respectable haha

so day 1 was just to go out and see what was what! find my braking points and try a few routes and see what worked and what didnt! (as its so short you have to be fast everywhere , 1 slip up and your miles off the pace!)

so started the day with a 36.78odd , not to bad , but tons of room !

ed2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

thought i could give vettle some tips on driving :lmao:

ed3 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

so now some videos ! did have the go pro on the outside but apparently the 200mph+ rated suction cup isnt enough so had to remove it untill i could secure it with a 2nd point!

Day 1 in order

(p3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpBpp4M7ds

(p4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pmRHi6d3Q8

(r1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVnbc3Xxei8

(r2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vz3lyYPAl0

trackside video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmVPnvc0vN8

So that was day 1 ! happy the car was in 1 bit ! , and felt like i didnt know the track any better due to the fact it was showers all day and the braking points kept changing haha

so day 2 was forcast nice weather and i was going to make the most of it!

Day 2 in order

(p1 - fastest time of the weekend - 32.72)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k9LhHlYHX4

But then it went horrible wrong!

did a quick burn out , lined the car up , built the revs , took up the transmission slack , focused (no punt) did my own count down , lifted the clutch , bang! :cry:

Shafted by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

now at the time i had no idea what it was , but i knew it was mechanical , hopping it wasn't the gearbox/diff as these had just went back into the car 2 days earlier.

I was on my own in the morning so decided not much i could do , was feeling down , but because of the quick time i set in the morning kinda thought that was that.

My dad was due to come out in the afternoon for the timed runs (this happened at 11ish and timed runs start at 2pm)

so figued id go break the news (again no punt :lmao:) and ask if he could come out earilier! which he said he would

so i got the car back to the loading zone and loaded it up my self , then decided to see what went wrong , seen it was the shaft , had spairs at home but couldnt be hooped dropping oil ect to change it , then i remembered the drivers side has a half shaft so no oil would be lost! boost!! and with the encouragement from a few competitors i decided to phone dad and tell him to bring the shaft from my shed! lol he was 20 miles from home (only 30 to the place) so didnt take it lightly but i think the motor-sport side of him came into play and he went back and got it for me! :beer:

got the car back off the trailer and striped the lot down and had the old shaft out in 5 mins ! dad turned up and fired the new one in and it was good to go! :D

sadly i had missed my 2nd , 3rd and 4th practice run , and being tame as i didnt want to break another shaft or something i "calmed down" just for a run hahaha

(r1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-CRkdwkxZ0

This shows how much a animal the car can be! keeping me on my toes and taken me for a ride! haha

(r2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJu31buOKDg

so all in all a good weekend , could of been worse , could of been better , but thats motorsport in a onner !

happy with my self and the car!

ed4 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and loaded up on her way home! :clap:

Home time by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

hope that wasnt as gay a read as i think it is haha :thumbsup:

#28 · (Edited)
hey just noticed....

why u being a girl and still suck thru MAF? put ur big boy pants on and go blow thru.

also just a heads up i never had luck with my ID1000's with those purple adapter hats sealing right, they always seemed to seap so i got rid of those adapters and run my with no adapter. (just had to mod the -10AN rail shorter to accept them)

and i have a 4 puck solid disk clutch also, its ok the engagment isnt that bad but ive had issues with mine slipping when i got north of 550+WHP everytime.

#33 ·
Nice cage. I have a 2 part question on your cage.

1. Can that cage work with full interior?

2. Can it still work with A-pillar gauges?

#35 ·
i still use a maf. its blow thru.