Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I was driving to work, I droped to 4th gear to make a pass, not a sprited pass, just a pass... and car went all crazy on me... It eventually died... To make a VERY long story short, I had a freind of ours look at it. Pulled the #3 spark plug and it was chewed to hell... His opinion, I jumped timing somehow... he didnt pull off the valve cover cause I said I was going to attempt to use my Powertrain warranty on the car. Well the Ford house has been backed up and its going to be looked at first thing in the morning. The Service guy that greats you when you drive in said to a personal friend at the dealership, that he thinks its the "Timing Belt" and if thats the case its probably not covered... Which for one, I said, well when was it announced that a TIMING CHAIN fails at 57K miles... and the fact is that if time is jumped do to a failure in the timing chain thats not my fault.

So, Im with NO car, anything engine is going to atleast take a MONTH ... probably longer, and I am not paying 800 dollars to rent a car for a month... thats retarted!

So, Im looking for a cash beater to get me around... but havent found much...

Im so freakin frustrated right now. :bang: :bang: :bang:

and if my engine isnt covered... well... I dunno... I dont want to think about that... just hope to God that its covered.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Best of luck to you man!
go buy a Ford Festiva and drive that for a few weeks......lol

ps I have one 4 sale

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Zetec is a non-interference motor. If the timing belt went there should be no valve/cylinder damage.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
how do you jump time with a chain? you'd have to break a rail and even then Id be suprised to see more than chain slap. :confused:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
kinda wierd to chew a plug though... unless there was severe valve damage in which there are chunks of metal ontop of the piston... otherwise... it shouldnt have done that...

was there any fluids in the chamber?

was the plug actually chewed up or was it smashed flat?

kinda odd... then again i havnt ever expereinced that b4.... but would sound more like slight hydro lock to me... like head gasket failure? or perhaps severe detonation...

neways... good luck either way...

-AcId-

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fluids were good, The plug looked like it had been cut.

I didnt hydro lock my motor, Im having to prove other things at the moment... apparently the tow truck put a crack in my oil pan, so Im still fighting Ford... so Im still in a I dont know situtaion.

I have a Duratec.

Egz... can you explain that too me futher?

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Well, its highly unlikely, but theoretically possible. Something really has to mess up for a timing chain to skip, and that would be the least of your worries. The lower cog that drives the timing chain is held in place by torque only. The pressure of the crank bolt on the lower crank pulley keeps the lower cog from moving; there is no key like on a Zetec. So, in theory, if that cog rotates relative to the crank position, you could smash valves.

Of course, it could be other things, like if a spark plug fell apart, could cause all sorts of wonky things. We'll see what Ford says.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ok... I see what you mean.

Yeah I dunno what happend, no one has lifted up my Valve cover or taken off my oil pan at this point, and all I can say is I know I need a new motor! Ford Knows that, I know that, My parents know that... I need a new motor, and I dont wanna pay!

·
Registered
70 Posts
the same **** happened to my 2.0 zetec, at like 60k miles, except the timing belt, had ate up some pulley, and the car was in the shop for like 2 weeks, they claimed that had to order parts (they wanted more shop money) but everything was under warranty except for the belt itself, the pulleys, and all the **** the belt runs on was covered,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Egz said:
Just a theory: the Acheillies heel of the Duratec is the keyless crank. Its theoretically possible that the timing cog on the crank slipped relative to the crank, thus acting like a jumping a tooth.
I found this TSB hope it helps. Unfortunately unless you have powertrain warranty you may be on your own-sorry.

Printable View (74 KB) TSB
06-21-4
  • 2.3L/2.0L DURATEC - NO START/POSSIBLE ENGINE DAMAGE - INSTALL SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS PRIOR TO REMOVING CRANKSHAFT PULLEY BOLT
Publication Date: October 11, 2006
FORD:
2003-2007 Focus
2006-2007 Fusion, Milan
2001-2007 Ranger
2005-2007 Escape Hybrid, Escape, Mariner
2006-2007 Mariner Hybrid

This article supersedes TSB 06-16-6 to include symptoms, labour operations, and parts. ISSUE:

Some 2001-2007 MY vehicles equipped with a 2.0L or 2.3L Duratec Engine may exhibit no start, loss of engine timing or scraping noise at crankshaft pulley at front of engine. These engines, (excludes 2.0L SPI and Zetec engines) may experience engine damage if the crankshaft pulley bolt is loosened during service WITHOUT FIRST INSTALLING THE SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS PER THE WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURE. The crankshaft pulley bolt also retains the crankshaft cam drive sprocket which is NOT keyed to the crankshaft, so valve timing may shift if the crankshaft pulley bolt is loosened. If this occurs, the pistons may contact and damage the valves.
ACTION:

Before ANY repair requiring loosening or removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt, engine valve timing MUST be locked by the Special Service Tools identified in the online Workshop Manual, Section 303-01 (In-Vehicle Repair: Crankshaft Pulley). Do not attempt to start the engine without verifying engine cam timing.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

CAUTION:FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE EXACTLY CAN RESULT IN SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE.
SERVICE TOOLS REQUIRED ARE:

1. Crankshaft Timing Peg ESST Number 303-507 is 2 1/8" (54 mm).
  2. Camshaft Alignment Plate ESST Number 303-465.
  3. Holding Fixture ESST Number 205-126.
  4. Adaptor 205-072-02. Inspect the crankshaft pulley for rubber protruding from the pulley (Figure 1), loose pulse wheel, or bent tabs on pulse wheel touching engine front cover. Replace crankshaft pulley with service kit for respective vehicle line.

Figure 1 - Article 06-21-4

PART NUMBERPART NAME7U7Z-6312-ACrankshaft Pulley - All 2.0L and 2.3L Duratec Engines Except 2.3L ATK HEV in Escape/Mariner Hybrid And 2.3L Fusion/Milan6U7Z-6312-ACrankshaft Pulley - 2.3L Fusion /Milan

NOTE:ESCAPE/ MARINER HYBRID 2.3L ATK HEV ENGINE DOES REQUIRE THE SERVICE TOOLS BUT NO SERVICE KIT WAS RELEASED.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
foci01 said:
I found this TSB hope it helps. Unfortunately unless you have powertrain warranty you may be on your own-sorry.
Duratec engines have a 100,000 mile or 5 year Powertrain warranty.
Unless someone can show that I am mistaken.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Under_rated said:
Also explain to me... is this just after someone had service on the car or can it be from factory?
The TSB reads like if you had service done to the engine requiring the crank pulley to be removed. If that was the case, its a lot more probable. If its never been touched, its far far less likely, but not impossible.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Egz said:
The TSB reads like if you had service done to the engine requiring the crank pulley to be removed. If that was the case, its a lot more probable. If its never been touched, its far far less likely, but not impossible.
Thats what I was thinking... just wanted some one else to read it to me... as a second onpinion.

They looked at my engine... Brent Rod and valves ... um to me... thats self explanitory... but whatever...

They are debating about the car... I still dont know whats going on... or what they are debating...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Free, or paying for it?

Free I guess...otherwise your post would have had a lot of filtering!... :lol:

Well, at least they are doing it. Reading this, they'd be dumb to try to say it was your fault.

Hope it's not long before you get her back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts