Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I've got a fever, and the only cure is...
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disconnected the Symposer last night after the wife was complaining that it was very distracting and sounded stupid. I couldn't disagree. It makes a really strange noise, like a cross between a engine and exhaust. I don't understand why ford would not give the option to turn this off. The engine sounds good without it.

Im wondering if I can find a way to make it a little quieter and more consistent through the RPM range instead of on/off. I would prefer the car to go vvvvrrrroooooommmmmm instead of vvvvrrroooooBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!. Maybe Im just picky.

·
I
13,302 Posts
You can disconnect the tubes from the solenoid and tape them together. Throw a piece of foam in to make it a bit quieter.

On the 2015s, someone said it's through the speakers and not the old sound tube? Any truth to that?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
At least it's not completely cheesy like BMW's "video game" version of power sound.

Jeez, for most of the history of cars the powerful ones made powerful noises and the weak ones made weak noises... so, what idiot thought it would be cool to trick everybody into thinking their car turned out 200 to 300 hp more than it does?

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
H
You can disconnect the tubes from the solenoid and tape them together. Throw a piece of foam in to make it a bit quieter.

On the 2015s, someone said it's through the speakers and not the old sound tube? Any truth to that?
That is exactly was I was going to try and do. I'll find some very open cell foam and mess with the thickness to see what kind of results I can get.

It's still a tube through the firewall.

Strange thing is the engine is not quiet without the Symposer. It's also missing all the cool turbo sounds. To me it sounds like a strange noise coming from nowhere.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Just use an open ended air filter with it disconnected.

- Drew

·
Potato Camera Operator
8,401 Posts
At least it's not completely cheesy like BMW's "video game" version of power sound.

Jeez, for most of the history of cars the powerful ones made powerful noises and the weak ones made weak noises... so, what idiot thought it would be cool to trick everybody into thinking their car turned out 200 to 300 hp more than it does?
The symposer is a VERy clever fix to a problem created by the blithering band of complete imbeciles more commonly known as the American car market. They want a car that is UTTERLY SILENT as it travels anywhere beyond 20mph, then complain that the engine makes no noise.

Don't bash Ford for something that I promise they did not want to make in the first place.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The symposer is a VERy clever fix to a problem created by the blithering band of complete imbeciles more commonly known as the American car market. They want a car that is UTTERLY SILENT as it travels anywhere beyond 20mph, then complain that the engine makes no noise.

Don't bash Ford for something that I promise they did not want to make in the first place.
I suppose the idiot I was referring to (asking about) is/was probably a Porsche marketing geek. But I'm sure you are right about befuddled American car owners, and Porsche probably wasn't selling as many cars here as they thought the market should bear... one marketing survey later they found that having a rear motor made the car too quiet for the performance minded American (nevermind that they were travelling faster than they could control).

I don't agree that Ford didn't want to make it, they have their own misguided marketing geeks too.

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The strange thing is that this car is not quiet. Makes plenty of noise without the symposer. Its almost as if they wanted to add a loud exhaust but instead just decided to pump more noise into the cabin.

·
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I messed around with trying to quiet the sound coming from the symposer. There is a fine line between doing nothing and blocking the sound completely. Im just going to leave it open for a while and if I come up with something that may work Ill try again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts