Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is due for inspection, and of course the downstream oxygen sensor (normally not needed, ahem) is throwing a code. The last time I replaced this I used a Motorcraft part, DY-1103 I believe, made in Japan and possibly identical to the NTK part (22106, IIRC). No one locally has anything in stock, so I order a Motorcraft DY-1401, which is said to have superseded the DY-1040 (front) and DY-1103. When it arrives, it is clearly fatter and slightly longer: no way it is going to fit in the rear location. It also says made in USA and looks similar to photos of the Bosch part. So if you are needing a sensor, avoid this part.

As anyone who has changed the rear sensor knows, the clearance is very tight and the reason it dies is often related to the end getting dinged on the driveshaft. So I went and tried to find the shortest sensor. The NTK and Denso parts will fit, but just barely. This time I went with the Delphi ES20039, which is maybe a couple mm shorter, hoping that in the long run, it is less likely to get damaged by the driveshaft. The cable is a bit longer than it needs to be, but a zip tie solves that issue. One big plus is there is a guy on eBay selling these for $15, new! So far, so good.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Nice find!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts