Ford Focus Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
We've been busy with our 911 and dealing with a 50% increase in sales this year but we managed to move the Focus project forward a little, mostly by adding it's first official TIM stickers:

We now declare the project complete!

No, just kidding; a long way to go yet. With a view to firing up the engine we have to fix this fuel leak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8nc9YsLRfs&list=UUID6AciwFXFct3HiWQk8BIQ&feature=share

I'm not familiar with these kind of performance lines. Are they prone to leaking?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Earls is one of thee best companies out there when it comes to braided lines and fittings. they are made by holley
if lines are assembled correctly you should never have a leak from one of those lines. very rare

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I don't know why those are leaking? I would replace the hose and those fittings are reusable as long as they are not damaged. There is a chance that this hose was assembled incorrectly (I wouldn't think so on this caliber of a car) but its not a expensive change. Also there is pressure tester kits for these type of lines so you can check for leaks before time.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
If the hose wasn't lubed during assembly, it could have torn. I work with AN lines (for fuel and oil) all the time and don't have leaks.

Stick with good brands though.... Earls, Aeroquip, Russell, etc. Especially with the braided line. Cheap braided line sucks to work with.

·
Potato Camera Operator
8,401 Posts
I can't believe someone would switch TO Contour axles, I really have no idea why they did that. If you have the time, I would strongly suggest going back to Focus axles. Contour axles strip out and break constantly.

Come to think of it, that would explain why this car is notorious for breaking axles. :lol:

Come to think of it twice: That would explain why your car came with no axles, as well. I think it was DSS or CP that did a few limited runs of heavy-duty axles for Contours that did not prove to be much stronger than stock ones by any stretch of the imagination. Regardless, people on CEG (contour.org, or The Internet's Gooch, as I like to refer to it) will pay $450 for a set of used HD axles. My guess is the second owner was able to unload those during their attempted part-out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I can't believe someone would switch TO Contour axles, I really have no idea why they did that. If you have the time, I would strongly suggest going back to Focus axles. Contour axles strip out and break constantly.

Come to think of it, that would explain why this car is notorious for breaking axles. :lol:

Come to think of it twice: That would explain why your car came with no axles, as well. I think it was DSS or CP that did a few limited runs of heavy-duty axles for Contours that did not prove to be much stronger than stock ones by any stretch of the imagination. Regardless, people on CEG (contour.org, or The Internet's Gooch, as I like to refer to it) will pay $450 for a set of used HD axles. My guess is the second owner was able to unload those during their attempted part-out.
We've been talking to a chap who was instrumental in the car's early development and it appears the fact that the contour axles fit is coincidental rather than by design. They will do for now while we drive the car around the parking lot (soon hopefully) but I think the way forward is custom.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Contact Dynotech in Michigan about the axles. If they did not make them in the first place, they can make you a few sets that should be quite strong.

I didn't read through the entire post, but do you guys have a good intake manifold? If not, I modeled mine after this design, so let me know if you need an assist on that.

I'm still in contact with Rob, so if you have any questions for him, let me know. I'm not on here much anymore, so it's easier to contact me at [email protected].

I look forward to watching this restoration!

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Oh, I believe I still have a few keychains and hero cards for the car from that season. I'll shoot them your way if you want.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Love this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
We have a Cosworth intake manifold. Is that any good?

Contact Dynotech in Michigan about the axles. If they did not make them in the first place, they can make you a few sets that should be quite strong.

I didn't read through the entire post, but do you guys have a good intake manifold? If not, I modeled mine after this design, so let me know if you need an assist on that.

I'm still in contact with Rob, so if you have any questions for him, let me know. I'm not on here much anymore, so it's easier to contact me at [email protected].

I look forward to watching this restoration!

·
Recaros for Corbeaus and Boyds!
2,355 Posts
I love mine.. It's a very well done/built manifold. And what Matt said is spot on.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts