Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the quadrafoglio (however you spell that), just a regular model. Same darkish red that I've seen the four leaf hot models pictured in. Going the opposite direction, and I didn't see the clover emblems on the fender or deck lid. Might have said GT (I remember my dad having a 1965 European model Giullia Sprint GT when I was a kid, but this car is much different. I doubt the new one's engine can rev up to 10 grand without coming apart).

Also spotted a BMW M6 convertible, manual V10. Charcoal with black interior (never would order a convertible with a black interior, my dad also owned a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, and I burned the back of my thighs often during the summer sitting on those seats).

Second gen 3000GT VR4 with a tasteful body kit, but had the chrome rims those came with. Other than that, the bright red body (with headlight covers) looked spectacular. And it sounded great too!!

Was getting gas and overheard a conversation where a guy with a late model VW Beetle saying he had found a wrecked Golf R and transplanted the entire suspension and drivetrain into the Beetle. Same platform, so he said the swap was pretty easy.

On the surface, it didn't look any different than the normal new Beetle, but that AWD and turbo 4 would impress the nonbelievers.

Sorry, no pics.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also saw 3 Tesla Model S, one with a vanity plate CLN NRGY.

A silver Maserati sedan.

Red Dodge SRT10 pickup truck (aren't they all red?), and coming out after seeing Dunkirk a white Beetle turbo r line convertible. Didn't know they made one, and looked it up online. Pretty much a regular Beetle turbo with a more aggressive fascia, wheels and dual exhaust. Couple extra gauges, flat bottomed steering wheel and 6 speed transmission.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
It just makes my heart glad that Alfa, and Fiat for that matter, are selling cars here again. So many really sweet cars I never had a chance to drive because of the 70's safety standards.

I won't be buying any of them, anymore these days. Just nice to see.

I remember the Sunbeams, Alpine and Tiger... the Tiger was dangerous.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dad had an early '65 (had a trim plastic trim piece that hid the top when it was down). Engine had been massaged, 4 barrel carb with a racing style gravel strainer, internals strengthened, etc.

My brother and I used to sit on the package shelf, we didn't know it wasn't a seat.

I was sitting back there, brother was in the front when dad took it out to a divided highway that hadn't been completed. Put his foot down in 4th gear and said "That's it. That's all she's got!"

Later found out that he only took it to 120, since 125 was the 4500 RPM redline, and he didn't want to stress the at that time 15 year old engine.

That racing gravel strainer air cleaner didn't do it any favors, and at the end it would smoke at start up. Needed a rebuild, and brake work (I was with him when the front pads caught on fire. Dad just said stay back and it burned itself out. Sort of crazy being a little kid watching the wheel wells billowing smoke and some flames. No extinguisher, and dad said "I suppose we can pee on it if we have to."), not to mention my older brother was about to turn 16. Insurance agent said he wouldn't insure it with a new driver in the house, only way would be if it was stored off site.

Never got to drive it.

I do remember him saying he could break the speed limit in first gear (55 stay alive BS).

He also at the same time owned a 1965 Alfa Romeo Guillia Sprint GT, European model. Figured that out when he tried to get brake parts. Took the number in, and the parts guy said that was a '66 in the US.

The tachometer didn't have a redline and went up to 11,000 I believe. He knew a guy who raced one, and asked where he could comfortably rev it. Racer said he revved up to 12 or 13 thousand, and a street engine out to be able to handle 8 or 9.

He had 2 vastly different cars. One a slow turning powerful American V8, the other a high revving small 4 cylinder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts