Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I've been reading the post on p1383, and I'm having that problem. My 03 SVT has been timed, and I did it using the standard bar and top dead center pin(referenced the extension in the #1 cylinder as well) and the VCT pulley at it's dead stop point. The car runs fine for about 5-10 minutes and then the VCT system(?) stops working and I get a pending code P1383 and a check engine light that comes on and may go out but the cam stays retarded(Dead stop timing mark). After clearing the code the VCT system starts working again 5-10 minutes it stops and the cam reverts back to dead stop timing spot. This loop happened several times. We've verified this using a computer that show the cam advance going from 0-48 degrees while driving for the first5-10 min and then 0-1.5 when it decides to shut down. Any ideas on how to solve would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the problem you have has to do with your timing procedure, particularly the use the the tdc pin
So what's the problem with the pin?
I checked mine with a degree wheel and dial indicator, and it's dead nuts accurate on my 12" diameter degree wheel.

I'd be more skeptical of the slots in the cams being indexed properly to the lobes.
Much better to use a dial indicator and set the timing based on lobe lift.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts