Ford Focus Forum banner

261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Really, I'd like to know what "sounds like a Subaru" means. Is the engine missing? Is it bogging, when you drop the gas pedal quickly? Does it idle rough? Each of these things has a different cause. How about you get a lot more specific about what you engine is doing???
Imagine what WRX with exhaust sounds like when it idols...kind of choppy and "missy". Like I said, no CEL and definitely lack of power i.e. cant accelerate without giving the car a ton of gas in order to go past the dead spots.

Sean

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Sounds like it could be a problem with the IMRC module, or the cable is detached, or the lever that moves the runners is broken... stuck in the short position, which means it runs like a dog down low and fires up when you get past ~4500rpm. Or if it runs poorly all the way from bottom to top, then you probably have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like it could be a problem with the IMRC module, or the cable is detached, or the lever that moves the runners is broken... stuck in the short position, which means it runs like a dog down low and fires up when you get past ~4500rpm. Or if it runs poorly all the way from bottom to top, then you probably have a vacuum leak.
I noticed a few receipts that has IMRC written on it so I assume this has already been replaced. How would I check to see if this is broken?

I am going to use Tom's method of advancing the timing about 4* to see if we can get it in time...

Sean

Sean

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
IMO, you're just making extra work for yourself if you adjust the cams for any reason other than tuning. If the engine smooths out over ~5K then it is a problem with air, most likely the IM or it's controller.

Never had to do anything with the IM yet (hope never), but I'd follow the cable to the IM and see if the lever is broken or the cable is unattached. If it looks intact, then start the engine, warm it up, and watch as you climb the revs over 5K, if the cable doesn't move the controller is bad. The other thing it could be (doubtful if its never been boosted) is the internal seals around the movable runners could be out of place... that will act a bit like an air leak or a bad IMRC, which is what your problem sounds like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMO, you're just making extra work for yourself if you adjust the cams for any reason other than tuning. If the engine smooths out over ~5K then it is a problem with air, most likely the IM or it's controller.

Never had to do anything with the IM yet (hope never), but I'd follow the cable to the IM and see if the lever is broken or the cable is unattached. If it looks intact, then start the engine, warm it up, and watch as you climb the revs over 5K, if the cable doesn't move the controller is bad. The other thing it could be (doubtful if its never been boosted) is the internal seals around the movable runners could be out of place... that will act a bit like an air leak or a bad IMRC, which is what your problem sounds like.
I know literally nothing about the IMRC. I just remembered this thread is supposed to be dedicated to timing talk so I will start a new thread.

Sean

·
Registered
152 Posts
New thread sounds good.

IMRC cable is pulled at idle to move the lever, "relaxes" at higher RPM to let it move back. So you can look at it before start to check position and see what it has done when started for a baseline to see if it's working at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a old thread but any info on what I'm doing wrong I bought my son a 03 Focus svt and it had the code 1381 so I changed the timing belt and tensioner and I'm still getting the code I have the bar and pin and every time I turned it over 2 revs and checked cams the bar slide in did this 3 times and same bar goes in I bled oil and followed the ford manual and still get the code

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for trying replies gents. We did exactly the process you just mentioned Sailor. Everything lines up perfectly so I am now attempting to perform a compression test, as I was told a bent valve may make the car sound like a subaru. I cannot get the compression testing piece threaded down into the cylinder, so hopefully I can figure that out but for some reason it will not thread in.

Sean
Hi there,

Were you able to find out what the problem was?

My SVTF MODS:
I have an FS-Werks "canned" tune where my idle speed was lowered down to 850/900 RPM
Stock airbox with K/N filter
CFM ORP
MSD Ignition module w/ matching MSD spark plug wires
180F lo-temp thermostat

I did my T-belt this weekend,

So the car started up fine, normal initial hi-idle at 1,500 rpm then about 20 or 30 seconds goes to the lower idle speed but now at 700/750 rpm

Semi-rough, like a V8 hotrod idle, sorta stumbling but if I tap the gas pedal to 1,000 rpm: The engine sounds "back-to-normal"

NO initial check-engine light [CEL]....

...........................................................................................................................................................................

So I test-drove the SVTF, seems to run normal until I'm at a stop-sign or stop-light [signal-light] which I kinda wanna tap the accelerator to be sure it doesn't "die-on-me"....

15 minutes and 6 miles no CEL, I go back 3 hours later to start the car.... CEL....

P1381

·
Registered
250 Posts
I started reading the first 4 pages and the last 4 pages to try to find what I can do to remedy my issue

But I have Dumb question:

Is the cam with the VCT a.k.a humped gear the intake and the basic-generic gear the exhaust cam???

Could I PM someone here to call me to discuss further and get help over the phone?

·
I
13,302 Posts
I started reading the first 4 pages and the last 4 pages to try to find what I can do to remedy my issue

But I have Dumb question:

Is the cam with the VCT a.k.a humped gear the intake and the basic-generic gear the exhaust cam???

Could I PM someone here to call me to discuss further and get help over the phone?
That's correct. On the SVTF, the exhaust cam gear is no different than the Zetec cam gear; no VCT. The intake side at the back of the motor is where all the magic happens.

Easy to tell the back is the intake cam as that's where the intake manifold is. At the front is the exhaust manifold hence the exhaust cam. The Duratec is reversed.

261 - 272 of 272 Posts