Ford Focus Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
FYI, the Silicon contamination is not from dust/sand.
Think about what you just said and relate that to how glass is made. You'll catch on.

It's concerned with fumes, vapors and liquids.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My first step is to have the live data watched by a professional. Then go from there. That's where I'm starting. I haven't read anything about others having problems with the "shelf" tune from predator.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
FYI, the Silicon contamination is not from dust/sand.
Think about what you just said and relate that to how glass is made. You'll catch on.

It's concerned with fumes, vapors and liquids.
After rereading #2, I see what you mean, they are talking about sealers and such... however, my first read brought me back to my chemistry background, and I recall that silicon is pretty reactive when hot. It's not going to get hot enough to melt or to coat steel, but at exhaust temps it could easily deposit on the surface of the zirconium ceramic sensing element in the O2 sensor. And that would insulate the tip and interfere with it operating properly.

Really, most likely the tune is at fault, but there is cause for concern about silicon in your oil and on sensitive surfaces when using a cloth filter that needs periodic oiling, even if the oiling is done well. Oil tests have shown higher amounts of silicon (from clay/sand dust) in oil with cloth filters, versus foam and paper elements.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
As stated in the other thread, I had the same issue P0133 and 02S11. Took it to the Ford dealership and there was a TSB out for the issue. No word on the TSB number yet, but I was told they checked to see if the PCM was up to the latest Ford calibration. I'm waiting to hear back for the TSB number that was done.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
to second 1svt4u2c, I have a custom tune and am looking to get an update to that.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Unfortunately I received word that he was unable to locate a TSB number, or SSM number. Sorry for the delay, and lack of information.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If you get the chance maybe ask him, from his experience as a ford tech. How often he sees svtf in there for the front o2 sensor. Maybe he could possibly shed some light on any of his findings.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Not many SVT's show up at their shop unfortunately. The dealership he works for is a smaller dealership in a small community. Off hand I know of only one other SVT that goes there, and that's another employee that works there. And the thing about his, is he treats his SVT like I treat mine in regards to not driving it a whole lot.

But in order to give you a better answer I will shoot him a text and get a direct answer aside from assuming. I'll also send a link to this thread and see if he can review it to help shed a little light on the situation.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You may be a savior to this thread your nephew included. :) I haven't started on my live data or replacing the sensor yet but I will keep everyone posted along the way

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Unfortunately, I did not hear back from him yet. But I will post back if I find anything out soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since I bought my '03 SVT (I am second owner, have had the car 2 years), this code is always at least pending if I check OBDII with my scanner. Granted, I do almost all city driving (4 miles between home and office), but my gas mileage is typically only around 17 - 21mpg (20 or 21mpg would be on a tank where I do more freeway driving than usual, which is to say, any freeway driving). I always thought this was a little low, but I drive so little that it wasn't really hitting me in the pocketbook so I didn't pay too much mind to it.

Last winter, I then got another code saying the cat was clogged, and that came after (sure enough) my mpg dipped to around 15. Since I have been fluctuating between 15 - 18mpg.

The car doesn't seem unhappy but the mileage is clearly not correct, and I assume I'm probably suffering a little in terms of performance. Is the first thing to do to replace the O2 sensors, drive it for a tank or two of gas, and see how things shake out?

This car is a stock '03, save for the K&N filter the previous owner put it (drop-in OEM replacement, not a cone or anything). I have cleaned and re-oiled it on my own, followed the instructions, didn't seem like rocket science...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts