Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone, seeing as I'm no longer the only one having this trouble lets please try and figure this out.

I used a bosch replacement in 2012, and ford in 2013 (my rear may not be motorcraft, a shop did it). And I'll be using ford again seeing as I replace these every year. I usually get the code between 1900-2200 rpms, I tried watching live data but I'm having a hard time really understanding it so I'm gonna have a shop do it. I'm just confused as to why I replaced this sensor in the summer and now its the same code back again.
I've checked my wires and they look fine, the sensor doesn't seem to have a signs of physical damage.

I'm having a custom ORP made with new gaskets and o2 bungs but I'm going to run a MIL cheater from CFM for the downstream sensor.
I'm gonna replace my IACV gasket, and go back to a oem box with ITG filter. I'll clean my MAF again and ask the shop if the live feed has any signs of a bad TPS or fuel problems.

Good start?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Re: I believe P0133 is becoming pretty common.

I pay for an alldataDIY sub for my cars. The trouble shooting procedure is as follows. https://imgur.com/a/Ccg06

H21, Edit: I actually dont know what that test is. I will check in the morning. The beer is open so im done doing things.

-enjoy

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

all data is amazing we used it in school.
do you know how i would log it with the diablosport predator?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

all data is amazing we used it in school.
do you know how i would log it with the diablosport predator?
Does the predator do ODBII diagnostics? I have one, now, but I havent looked to see if it does diagnostics. I dont think it does. Youll need a mildly capable scan tool if it doesn't or see if autozone will let you play with theirs to do more than pull codes.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Check back post 2. added 2 caps.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts

I always thought of it as being caused by either over-fueling or bad fuel burn, from either wrong MAF counts, or bad FRPS, or dirty/weak injectors, or oily fuel charge, or by a bad/rich tune.

Now I see that silicone fowling is mentioned more than once in the diagnostic sheets above... what air cleaner do you have? If it's not blocking much clay dust, then your engine will be ingesting a lot of silicone. I hope that's not that cause.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

I always thought of it as being caused by either over-fueling or bad fuel burn, from either wrong MAF counts, or bad FRPS, or dirty/weak injectors, or oily fuel charge, or by a bad/rich tune.

Now I see that silicone fowling is mentioned more than once in the diagnostic sheets above... what air cleaner do you have? If it's not blocking much clay dust, then your engine will be ingesting a lot of silicone. I hope that's not that cause.
Mine never came back, at least not yet. Speaking of silicon I either need to clean my filter or pickup a AEM dryflow and prefilter. Hmmm

·
Registered
987 Posts

It seems like I get this code every year also and I always use a Motorcraft sensor. I replaced mine last spring and knock on wood it still works.

Last year I ziptied the o2 harness to the block, the harness was just swinging in the breeze like an Indiana Jones rope bridge. IDK if its like that on all SVTs or just my car, I was thinking maybe the wires on the sensor fray over time from movement.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The predator DOES do diagnostics. I have a k&n cone filter, I know I know. Very bad

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

It seems like I get this code every year also and I always use a Motorcraft sensor. I replaced mine last spring and knock on wood it still works.

Last year I ziptied the o2 harness to the block, the harness was just swinging in the breeze like an Indiana Jones rope bridge. IDK if its like that on all SVTs or just my car, I was thinking maybe the wires on the sensor fray over time from movement.
Mine is like that, and that would make some sense maybe?

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts

Presumable if you have a Predator you also had the car tuned.
Who did the tune?
Will they update it and correct the heater scalars that are probably off?

The parts you have on the car aren't the problem. It's the tune that is.
I mean if hundreds of us can run the same parts, similar parts or worse parts and not have issues ,,, you have to look at where yours differs.

To understand how the code is triggered --> https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM407.pdf (page 33)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

i dont get this code. but i have an orp and a tune in it.

i'll go through a sensor once every 3 years.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts

Presumable if you have a Predator you also had the car tuned.
Who did the tune?
Will they update it and correct the heater scalars that are probably off?

The parts you have on the car aren't the problem. It's the tune that is.
I mean if hundreds of us can run the same parts, similar parts or worse parts and not have issues ,,, you have to look at where yours differs.

To understand how the code is triggered --> https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM407.pdf (page 33)
While I agree, it is probably his tune, check post #2... it mentions silicon fouling (something I hadn't considered before, when answering this kind of post before - kudoes Devan).

In garrett15's case there are TWO glaring things that are different from the majority of others who do not have this problem... the Predator and the K&N cone filter. As you know it's pretty easy to improperly oil that kind of filter, in which case too much may result in oil fouling, and too little can result in silicon fouling. Something for others who get this code to consider.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts

Also - I don't think it's been mentioned - You guys install the sensors with CARE and don't get ANYTHING ON IT, correct? Not the OILY residue from the anti-seize compound or your fingers or dirt or grime from the exhaust manifold, nothing, correct?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

nothing at all COS, I was very cautious during the install.
I have the predator performance tune that comes installed on the predator.

·
Grand Master Mabel listens to Death Metal and flip
7,145 Posts

If its ok with you guys, I'm going to sticky this and rename it "P0133 Diagnostics Thread" so questions and assistance can be consolidated here.

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts

While I agree, it is probably his tune, check post #2... it mentions silicon fouling (something I hadn't considered before, when answering this kind of post before - kudoes Devan).

In garrett15's case there are TWO glaring things that are different from the majority of others who do not have this problem... the Predator and the K&N cone filter. As you know it's pretty easy to improperly oil that kind of filter, in which case too much may result in oil fouling, and too little can result in silicon fouling. Something for others who get this code to consider.
While the oiled filter thing might be real in a lab, they've been used by millions of people for a good many years. All of varying skill levels. I know for sure that I have over-oiled mine and under-oiled (because of no oil). I have yet to have any issue.
I've also cleaned my O2's with brake cleaner. Didn't seem be any ill affect.

I'm sure there are legitimate concerns but I also think the internet has blown them out of proportion. To get back to par a guy has to track down the source of the initial concern, which I don't feel like tracking down. But if you do, look for some type of research paper and not posts on forums. Hard data that supports the claim only.
I did a quick search though and the web seem to be littered with posts and such. All of which are glaring in the fact that Silicon has been used for a long time and never was a (known) issue prior. Remember that the O2 sensor has been used since the late 70's. My guess is there's something with the EPA involved.

Being you/he has an off the shelf tune I'm sticking by a custom tune fixing the issue. A proper datalog would prove this and that the sensor is working just fine.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm trying to find a local shop that can do it who can actually explain it to me while showing me the data log. I plan on eventually doing a custom tune. Has anybody found any other fixes besides replacing the sensor.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Oh man, now I cant delete those images ever...

·
Registered
6,092 Posts

While the oiled filter thing might be real in a lab, they've been used by millions of people for a good many years. All of varying skill levels. I know for sure that I have over-oiled mine and under-oiled (because of no oil). I have yet to have any issue.
I've also cleaned my O2's with brake cleaner. Didn't seem be any ill affect.

I'm sure there are legitimate concerns but I also think the internet has blown them out of proportion. To get back to par a guy has to track down the source of the initial concern, which I don't feel like tracking down. But if you do, look for some type of research paper and not posts on forums. Hard data that supports the claim only.
I did a quick search though and the web seem to be littered with posts and such. All of which are glaring in the fact that Silicon has been used for a long time and never was a (known) issue prior. Remember that the O2 sensor has been used since the late 70's. My guess is there's something with the EPA involved.

Being you/he has an off the shelf tune I'm sticking by a custom tune fixing the issue. A proper datalog would prove this and that the sensor is working just fine.
Good points... over oiling is probably not going to foul the O2, just the MAF, and then it would run lean, that shouldn't kill an O2. I'd rather not try to find a research article, I think the best way to see if you are getting too much sand and clay dust into your intake and beyond (which apparently can foul the O2 according to the published diagnostic pages in post2), is to send your freshly changed oil to Amsoil, or another place, to be tested. If there are real high amounts of silicon in your oil I'd be worried about the bearings more than the O2... doing that would tell you a lot.

Okay back from speculation, on to reality... the tune is the first place to look for a problem here, but I'd still have my oil tested if I had a cloth cone filter, for all the reasons.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts