Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is mine. Hi, my name is Alex. Yes, I am a grandpa.

The rex came from my 2002 WRX that I lovingly owned for 9 years until I was rear-ended and totaled.

Shortly after I bought my WRX, one of my closest friends bought a 2002 SVT. Silver over red. He is the most fastidious man I've ever known, and he cared for this car fanatically. Always hand washed and waxed. Never in a car wash. Bought new in Georgia never saw real snow. Always garaged. Mobil 1 and M1 filter every 3K miles. No babies or animals ever in the car. No smoking ever in the car. Never raced. Never tracked. No mods.

At 76K miles, my friend took the car to a Georgia dealer to have the water pump and timing belt changed. The dealer either was incompetent or the new timing belt was defective, but the engine grenaded. Ford stepped up to bat and installed a BRAND NEW SVT motor, with a manufacturing date of 2014 into the car, with a 2 year warranty.

Last Spring, he bought a new Golf R. This January, I flew to Georgia and we drove the SVT back to my home in RI. Car has 80K now.

I always loved this car when my friend owned it. Had driven it many times when I visited. I really love the car now. Incredibly fun car to drive. Other than maybe a Porsche Cayman S that I drove briefly, this the best steering car I've ever driven.

Amazing car. After I lost my WRX, I don't think I enjoyed driving anything. Kinda lost the thrill of driving period. It's back. I'm a really happy guy.

And, I have one the absolute best examples of this car in the country. If you're in New England, I may take it to Foxboro Thursday nite.

Glad to be a part of the forums.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Congrats!! I feel the exact same about the SVT Focus. I find it to be one of the best handling automobiles, with many creature comforts that many other cars at that time didn't have. It just has a "fun factor" that you can't find in very many automobiles, and I just think the style, lines and look of the SVT are great.

And also like you, I'm coming from driving an AWD, rally inspired saloon in my 2006 Lancer Evolution IX. I still have my Lan-Evo, and I find it's steering response one of the best ever. The SVT Focus I seriously put in a top category, especially when describing how enjoyable it is behind the wheel.

Welcome to the forum! Hoping you get us some pictures of your beauty, and share some more stories along the way. Do you have any plans for the car, other than just pure, driving enjoyment? Here's to hoping you continue to care for and love your SVT just as the previous owner has done.

Congrats again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Grandpa, right there with you, maybe I missed it but I am in Amesbury, Whats going on in Foxboro on Thurs?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Welcome to FJ. I agree, the SFTF is a great little car... in the mix of my top three favorites... and it's a mechanical hobbyist's dream car, always needs a little attention, and always responds well to it.

Yeah, can you confirm the 2014 build date on that engine? (Has Ford come to their senses and is actually supporting the SVTF?)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Welcome, Rex, from one Opa to another. My SVT is an '04 with just shy of 80K. I flew to Tulsa three years ago in January to retrieve mine. And, I'm surprised no one else has said it, so I will :pics:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried posting from Photo bucket and it didn't work for me, not sure why, I found the easiest way to post pics here was to log on here with my phone and the pics loaded straight from the phone!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
With Photobucket you need to copy the "direct" address option by clicking on it, the paste into the box that pops up when you click the "insert image" icon at the top bar in your reply post.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Amazing car. After I lost my WRX, I don't think I enjoyed driving anything. Kinda lost the thrill of driving period. It's back. I'm a really happy guy.
I have a similar car as you only it's a 2003 with the same silver/red combo in factory stock set up.

I'm in a similar place and have been looking to the future. I've been in my SVT for two solid years now. It has gotten everything it needed(timing belt, clutch, complete suspension refresh, brakes, tires, etc.) to provide the solid driving experience it puts out every day. I'm at the point where it being 12 years old, and not being a mainstream model like a Mustang or Camaro where you can find most anything you need for one from the beginning of their existence, that I'm concerned what my next car will be. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with my SVT. It looks and runs and performs great. It's just that I'd like to get something newer in the next year or two and the choices out there are limited. I've narrowed it down to probably a Civic Si or maybe an Acura TSX and I've never driven either.

What it really comes down to is that the SVT has set the bar so high in terms of fun factor and performance balance there is little out there, without going big turbo charged like a Focus ST or a Mazdaspeed 3, that comes close. I'm afraid nothing will compare to the SVT.

What could come close would be a current Focus with the 197HP turbo four from the Fiesta ST and the sport suspension they offered in the last Focus model year. You don't need to go big turbo like the Focus ST, just enough to make it a great balance of performance and handling like the SVT.

Looking to the future has me bummed but for now I'll just keep having fun and keeping a smile on my face with the SVT.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a similar car as you only it's a 2003 with the same silver/red combo in factory stock set up.

I'm in a similar place and have been looking to the future. I've been in my SVT for two solid years now. It has gotten everything it needed(timing belt, clutch, complete suspension refresh, brakes, tires, etc.) to provide the solid driving experience it puts out every day. I'm at the point where it being 12 years old, and not being a mainstream model like a Mustang or Camaro where you can find most anything you need for one from the beginning of their existence, that I'm concerned what my next car will be. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with my SVT. It looks and runs and performs great. It's just that I'd like to get something newer in the next year or two and the choices out there are limited. I've narrowed it down to probably a Civic Si or maybe an Acura TSX and I've never driven either.

What it really comes down to is that the SVT has set the bar so high in terms of fun factor and performance balance there is little out there, without going big turbo charged like a Focus ST or a Mazdaspeed 3, that comes close. I'm afraid nothing will compare to the SVT.

What could come close would be a current Focus with the 197HP turbo four from the Fiesta ST and the sport suspension they offered in the last Focus model year. You don't need to go big turbo like the Focus ST, just enough to make it a great balance of performance and handling like the SVT.

Looking to the future has me bummed but for now I'll just keep having fun and keeping a smile on my face with the SVT.
They say the fiesta ST comes pretty close

·
Registered
14 Posts
Amazing car. My 03 has been with me since 1/07 and I have loved every day and I drive each day. You will get lots of fun miles on that baby . Lots of smiles and miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scrolling through some old threads and happened to find this. I hope you're still in MA! I have a Comp O and there are yellow, blue and black in my town as well!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts