Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently my previous thread made about this car was deleted. No idea why.

Long story short the PO screwed this car up and I had to fix everything.

Missing grill when I bought it

After I got my hands on it

Old and busted boost controller

Solid shifter base bushings

Garbage wiring done by PO. Bad solder connections are literally everywhere on this car. That and zip ties.

Winter beater status

Broken trans mount bracket because PO didn't tighten it after he stripped the holes

More bad wiring

Broken TB shaft on the old FC throttle body the car came with. New one from CFM has been working flawlessly.

After dealing with all the crap from the PO I ended up grabbing a new kit from Chris over at Top Speed. I was super skeptical about the SPA turbo it came with, but it has been working wonders on this car. Here she is in her glory.

Here she is right after I got everything on. Meaty AF with the 245s on it. To be honest they run more like 255 as they are slightly pinched on a 17x8...

Again, I'm not sure why this was deleted unless one of the PO's friends is an admin and deleted it since I called him out on destroying this car. But I'll give it one more shot. As you can see from the pictures I have been busy with this thing. Everywhere I turn there is a wiring issue or zip ties or something not installed properly. She is pretty close now to being perfect, all that's left to do is turn the boost up until I run out of fuel pump.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The weekend after I had originally made this post, I drove out to my buddy's house and traded the KYB/Sportline combo for some Tein coilovers and EDFC. With the high offset of the Advantis the sidewall was actually making contact with the struts up front. Got some extended lug studs and put 10mm spacers in the front while spacing the shock inward in the rear. This makes the front specs 17x8 et35 with a 245 40. Stock fenders and quarters all around with no camber adjustment.

EDFC installed...this thing is sweet!

How she sits on the coils. Don't mind all the dirt...

I almost forgot, somewhere on this timeline I ended up ditching the 60lb injectors and stock MAF and put in ID1000s and an SCT BA5000. Solved all of the issues I was having with tuning.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last weekend I had some more time to work on the car. Since this turbo is significantly bigger than the baby turbo the Fswerks kit came with, there is quite a bit more lag. To counter this while shifting I purchased an N2MB WOT Box and I gotta say, this thing is awesome. No Lift Shifting has transformed how the car performs and its always nice to shoot some flames every now and then. Lol it was a very straightforward install, the instructions are pretty basic. I mounted it on the little CD holder dealio so I could still easily hook the computer up and adjust it.

The only down side of ignition cut launch control on an old Ford is that Ford coils are notoriously crappy. When I was playing with it, it would blow through the 2 step and when I let off I would have a dead hole misfire for maybe 10 seconds at idle. The latest and greatest issue is a coil dying on me while I am driving and giving me a dead hole miss. I will be heading to the shop today to scan the car and see if I can figure out which one I need to replace. I also shut off the launch control and turned it back on in the tune, so it is fuel cut now rather than ignition cut. Normally I wouldn't really car as ignition cut is preferred, but I'm stupid and daily this car so I don't need to be killing coils every time I launch it. SCT 2 step set at 4500 and it still builds around 4 psi so it's not terrible.

I was also having IAT issues. One pull I made when it was hot out threw charge temps over 100*. That is a big no no. So I used a 45* pipe that Treadstone sent me a double of and added it to the intake I made. IATs stay pretty close to or below ambient now which is awesome. I will be heat wrapping the downpipe and some point as well since it runs so close to the charge pipe off the compressor housing.

Before

After

I was in the process of turning up the boost and when I got to 20 it started to blow the spark out. These NGK plugs are already gapped at like .020 so I may throw some Autolite 103s in even though I think Autolites are trash. On a good note she made her first kill last night...took out a C6 vette on 15 psi. So its not all bad. Haha :cool:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Minor update, figured out what coil it was today. There was an issue with the connector so I can't say for sure if launch control killed it with the other 3 still okay. New coil, connector and plugs tomorrow. Turns out there was some misinformation and the NGK I currently have are OE heat range plugs, so I'm putting 103s in and seeing what happens this week. Bunch of STs want to take a stab at me Thursday so she's gotta be ready!

·
Raving my tets aft
1,568 Posts
good to see it back up... As for why it was deleted who knows? I had a look in the moderator section and in The Dust Bin and there was nothing :dunno:

So not sure who deleted your thread, kinda weird! But as always, Im looking forward to the progress!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Nice to see you taking care of this care and making it have new glory.

Who knows about it being deleted. The site is wacky. On FF we had a **** ton of threads disappeared with no trace and they had to pull them from archives.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quick question as to why so small a gap for the plug, asking as I run a larger gap but not boosted in my case so is it due to the boost?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts