Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, once again, my 2003 SVTf (with 24k miles on it) is broken! about a month or 2 ago i was posting in here about my clutch burning up around 22k mile mark, with it the flywheel glazed over and i was stuck witout a car for like 2 weeks. i got the clutch and flywheel replaced, at MY expense. they wouldn't warranty it, ugh, what BS. so i have the dealership install a CM stage 4 and a cm alum flywheel at the same price as the stock setup (bought the parts from tom). anyways... i get my car back, all running good, and then BAM today going to work i all of a sudden cannot shift... i'm STUCK in 3rd gear! so i coast to work, pop the hood and fiddle with it to see what's up... looks like the little arm thing at the back of the engine compartment that attaches to the shift linkage cable (i think) is wobbly and won't engage correctly. the linkage cable looks fine, not super tight and stretched, not loose... looks like the arm mechanism itself is jacked up.... maybe i am wrong, i don't know much of anything about drivetrain stuff. anyways, the shifter feels like its kind of in neutral, it wobbles side to side real loose like but i cannot move it up in anyway, it slides down towards me kind of where 4th would be but it just slides in and out, dosn't change anything because no matter where the shifter is sitting it's still in 3rd gear (yeah i drove home 20 miles on the hwy at like 45mph in 3rd gear, fun times). i took the car to the dealership and they won't be able to even look at it until tuesday. now... what would you guys feel the problem is? and, would it be covered under warranty? i have the extended warranty plan but am scared the stupid thing won't be covered like my clutch and flywheel. thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well since you drove it home and got it to move, the clutch is fine. A few years back I had the same thing happen to my '03 Focus SVT but the car was only a few weeks old then. The linkage had slipped off somewhere behind the tranny. Mine slipped off into neutral and I had to reach behind and put it into first, so that I could load it onto the tow truck. I took it to Ford and they fixed it under warranty. I hope they do the same thing for you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had a similar problem. Somebody tie-strapped the wiring harness to the linkage when i had my throw out bearing serviced, when i went to shift the arm kept hitting the wiring harness and connectors. Felt like I was going to break the linkage every time I went to shift.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like your linkage just popped off at the tranny end. If so, it's an uber-simple repair, as long as you can gain access to the ends of the linkage.

I'm not making fun of you, but I have to say that a popped-off linkage has to be one of the funniest transmission problems ever. You can't shift, and it feels like the tranny has blown up, and all that's wrong is some stupid little cable came loose from its bracket. One minute you feel like crying, and the next minute you're laughing your ass off when you see that you were all upset over nothing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, i hope i'm doing that... i limped it to the dealership now so if that's all that is wrong i wish i would if limped it to the base auto hobby shop...... will they cover putting the linkage back on under warranty??

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I dunno if they'll warranty the work or not. I guess you'll have to read the fine print on your paperwork from the previous repair to see how long and how many miles they'll stand behind their work.

If the cable has just popped loose from the bracket, and nothing is broken, it should be a pretty simple repair. As I said earlier, the hardest part is reaching the stupid bracket in the first place. I know some Jetters haven't had any trouble reaching it from either underneath the car or by removing the wheelwell liner, but I had a hell of a time trying that. For me, the airbox had to come out (but that's pretty easy, too).

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yep, if you have an airbox, that's the only thing you need to take out to get to the shifter cables. If you have a CAI or something else, you can get to the cables very easily straight from the top.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the bracket... u are talking about that arm looking mechanism in the back of the firewall with the cable going into it and what not? if so the cable looks just fine connected to it...

I dunno if they'll warranty the work or not. I guess you'll have to read the fine print on your paperwork from the previous repair to see how long and how many miles they'll stand behind their work.

If the cable has just popped loose from the bracket, and nothing is broken, it should be a pretty simple repair. As I said earlier, the hardest part is reaching the stupid bracket in the first place. I know some Jetters haven't had any trouble reaching it from either underneath the car or by removing the wheelwell liner, but I had a hell of a time trying that. For me, the airbox had to come out (but that's pretty easy, too).

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Nope, I'm talking about the bracket on the transmission itself. It holds both shift cables right near their ends, just before they attach to the shift tower thingamabob.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that I'm only familiar with the MTX-75, not the Getrag, so I don't know just what your bracket looks like. But I'd be really surprised if the bracket is on the firewall, as that would put a lot of stress on the cables when the engine/transaxle moves around under acceleration and deceleration.

The easiest way to be sure you're looking at the right thing would be to have somebody move the shifter around while you watch the cable ends. Looking up the diagrams in a factory service manual would be ideal. I have the Ford CD for 2001, so I haven't even seen pictures of the SVT's linkage.

·
TEAM Member
939 Posts
....just a 'maybe' here but it could be the problem.The Focus shift cables on all types of trans seem a little on the short side...which tells me that with excessive engine roll/torque they 'may' be pulled to the point where they could pop off and/or disengage a gear....Bad or broken engine/trans mounts would cause this situation.Yours may be another issue but the mounts etc are worth a check....

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
It sounds like the shift linkage has popped off. My friends SVTF has it happen quite often really, but he isn't the best driver...LOL! It really is quite simple to repair, just yank the airbox, and make sure the shift linkage is connected up all nice and tight. 2 min fix, and would save you a possible raping by the dealership!

·
TEAM Member
939 Posts
...just poping the cables back on only cures the 'what' and not the 'why?'...I'd suggest you check further as to WHY the cables poped off.....because it will happen again...and again....etc!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
the only way I can think of cables just popping off is if either the ball is broken or the rubber insert in the cable end is deteriorated.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
my friend's popped off, cuz he bang shifts at every light...that will wear stuff out a little quicker than normal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow old thread...can someone help me with the fix for this? I have the same issue . Lower transmission shift linkage keeps popping off over and over...is there a simple fix?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts