Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I just bought an 04 SVT . So far it’s a blast. It’s in pretty good shape overall.I have a weird issue that I hope someone here will have at least an Idea where I can start checking to solve my problem. So when I reverse the car then put it into first and take off, the car will hit about 3K rpm’s and start sputtering bad! Like it barely will go. If I shift into second, the same happens. So, the first time it happened I shut the car off, then restarted it. Then it ran fine. Doesn’t happen every time, but I have definitely narrowed it down to after I have reversed the car. Beyond the sputtering it almost feels like something is binding mechanically. The Cars brake light on the dash is on and the parking brake is broken. I am thinking maybe a transmission issue, or an issue with the rear brakes binding. But to me that doesn’t explain the sputtering. And it’s as if there is no power at all. The car wants to go nowhere. Really bizarre to me. Maybe one of you SVT Experts will have some expertises with this issue? Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Spark Plugs?
Fuel Filter?
Ignition Coil & Wires?

Check around the alternator, some had to figure out the two main wires that go to the alternator & do some type of repair. Plus the ground wiring too.

Maybe bad gas? You using Premium [91] or above?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing if you have a volt guage keep a eye on it if there jumpin up n down bad regulator if not ur fuel pump could not be keepin up if fuel pump pressure goes down car will go into limp mode till pressure comes back up

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this as well a few times. No idea what separates it from happening, or from starting up and driving normally. Goes away and doesn't come back for weeks at a time if I just restart the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts