Ford Focus Forum banner

New to the boards, just picked up an 03 SVT

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Bullitt08 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I just picked up a 2003 black 3 door SVT Focus. I bought it off my dad so I could have a daily driver for the DFW area. My 2008 Bullitt is my baby and I plan to continue modding it. So while it's down (it's getting suspension, brakes, rims/tires and redoing the long tubes ect.) I've got the focus. Trying to keep the miles and the paint chips low on my mustang.

I learned to drive manual on this exact car and it's in great shape. Yeah it's an SVT not an ST, but I needed a commuter and a daily driver. Beats a car payment. Plus, it's got 40K miles on it. So it drives great. Just have to fix the headlights and the paint on the bumpers. Might do some daily friendly modding to it over time. Probably just some suspension mods, light engine mods, a tune, and maaaaybe some exhaust. Turbo would be interesting, but honestly I'm going full bore on the mustang, so the SVT is going to stay slow fast, not shooting for quick really. Just a fun daily driver to keep for when I need it, and to take overseas when I get stationed over there again.

Other than that, I'm happy to be here and look forward to learning as much as I can about my new to me car. I learned a lot over at moddedmustangs about my Bullitt over the years. Hoping I can duplicate that experience. I've also got my eyes on an RS possibly in the future so....can't wait for that too. More of a mustang guy for sure, but I've got a sweet spot for the focus.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to FJ.

The SVTF will grow on you the more you drive it... pretty soon you may even call yourself a "Focus guy", LOL.

Keep an eye on the timing belt, you don't have a lot of miles, but it has been a lot of years since new and its been exposed to higher temps in TX. Check it for cracks, and replace the whole assembly immediately if you find any signs. Check for belt-creep, the belt walks toward the outside of the cam gears when the idler or tensioner is getting worn... not as big a deal, but if that happens it's getting close to time for a change. It's an interference motor, so that belt is a critical part.

#5 ·
Thanks gents, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to have the power steering fluid replaced, the fuel filter, and while I'm at it, I'll look into a timing belt. I've got to say it drives nicely and I hate FWD to be honest, but at times the Focus feels like it's not. It handles very well, which always puts a smile on my face. Even with the power gap between it and my Bullitt, it's still very fun to drive. I like how quick the steering rack is, as well as how it stays relatively planted in the corners with the correct entry speed and such...

I've also got to look into getting the lenses cleared up. The headlights are definitely very hazy, I know it's a failure point with the MK I focus, but I think with some TLC, some clear coat and wax I can get them back to factory fresh. I'll post pics here in a while.

#6 ·
It's already sneaking up on you...

The steering is "world class"... despite all the major differences, Ford is using it in their Supercar, the latest incarnation of the GT40 will have the Focus steering rack.

#7 ·
I've got to admit, out of the box from ford, very well sorted little car. I'm definitely a mustang guy, and a ford guy over all. But these zippy little cars are fun. I really would like to see what the RS will do when it comes out and I feel like having a car payment again. You know.....just cover my bases. Get the engine built in the mustang, add the Paxton I've got, and all the brakes/wheels/suspension. Have the little zippy daily driver. And then have the AWD RS for all wheel drive shenanigans. I could probably use a truck down the line too.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. First things first. Get the SVT up to snuff. Though I've got to say, it feels solid now. And the sound system is quite loud. This little car is definitely deserving of the SVT badge. Not for speed for sure, but for how well sorted it is.

#8 ·
Welcome to the group, not many cars that are as fun to drive as the SVT at any price point. Not the fastest car on earth by a long shot but they are special.

Also, if that timing belt is original I'd replace it along with the tensioner and idler immediately. It may only have 40k on it but rubber belts age just sitting still and in my opinion you're on borrowed time.

-Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.