Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a clutch kit I got off of ebay on my 03 zx5 with the mtx 75 transmission and now when I release the clutch pedal there is a chattering noise coming from the transmission I feel like I obviously did something wrong and am working on getting it back apart now but if anybody has had this happen before or thinks they know why it'd be making this sound please help me out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you had the clutch apart did you get the flywheel resurfaced (machined) by chance? Sometimes if not, the wear pattern is different enough from the new clutch plate that it won't engage smoothly and cause a chattering noise due to the vibration. I'm about to do the same job on my '03 ZX3... whee...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replaced the slave, didn't resurface the fly wheel but I ended up going to the local auto parts store and they matched my old clutch to one that was listed for the 2.3 and it does look the same as the one I took out so I was hoping this would fix my problem maybe I should still get the flywheel resurfaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only difference between the clutch i bought online and the clutch i got from the auto parts store really was in the clutch disk the one I bought online has springs in it and the one I pulled out didn't neither does the one I got from the auto parts store

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah ok. I don't have experience with the unsprung disks, but from what I've heard they can be a very tough engagement and kind of make the car a PITA to drive as they don't absorb the shock as much. Herky-jerky like. I was debating over the Valeo kit (unsprung) and the LUK (sprung) and decided to go with the LUK for this exact reason. Supposedly it can take about 40 or so regular start-ups to kind of seat the new disk to the flywheel, but if it continues, or if you're opening the trans again anyway, resurfacing is a good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts