Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a blue SVT that I bought last november. I love the car and have had it at several track events and a rally cross event. It is stock.
My brother and I changed the oil about a 1000 miles ago and it started leaking the moment after we did the change. I didn't think much about it at first. I finally had time to get under it and tightened up the filter which slowed the leak but did not fully fix it. We ordered the escape cooler from steve at tasca and waited for a chance to replace it. My brother and I finally had a chance to get it on his lift this past weekend and here is what we found. After taking off the filter and inspecting the cooler closely before removal we both noticed that the oil stud was actually crooked on the cooler. We realized that this caused the filter to not mate perfectly with the surface of the cooler. Since the bolt has more than an inch of thread fully threaded on to the block and it was not cross threaded, we both came to the conclusion that this was a block defect and the cooler stud is not actually 90 degrees to the surface of the cooler on our block. We purchased a new filter along with a filter wrench, and actually applied a little rtv to the gasket and tightened the filter a lot more that anyone should have to. Voila. Leak is gone.

After getting the old cooler off the engine, we inspected it and it actually looks to be in really good shape.

Opinions?
Joe

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
Considering that the SVT block is based on a standard Zetec block and there are millions on the roads I have a hard time believing it was a block defect. Are you sure the stud wasn't tweaked a little? In all my time doing this I've never once heard of an oil leak due to a defect where the filter/cooler attaches to the block.

Congrats on the leak being fixed though. :)

-Steve

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Hey Steve, long time no talk to, good to see you're still haunting the forum.

No highjack intended, but I never heard of such a problem either.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for replying. I agree. The original bolt(stud) didn't appear to be tweaked but maybe it was. Unfortunately the new stud with the escape did not have the necessary threads at the bottom to screw into the block so we had to use the old bolt with the new cooler. If you can see the linked image, The old cooler and bolt is on the right.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I can't see the pic... try IMGUR to host your pix, then use "direct link" to paste into the "insert image" function at the top of the post/reply box..

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
I can't see your picture either, I'm curious what part number you bought because quite a few SVT owners have been using the Escape cooler with no issues that I've heard of. I would think that at least one of the dozens of people I've sold them to would have mentioned the stud being wrong. No reason it should be since the Escape cooler is from a 2.0 Zetec.

-Steve

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
Hey Steve, long time no talk to, good to see you're still haunting the forum.

No highjack intended, but I never heard of such a problem either.

Cheers!
Same, great to see you still around. Most of what I do these days is on facebook so I'm not in here a lot but I am around. If you can make it to R/A in July you should come looking for me. You know where to find me.

-Steve

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Same, great to see you still around. Most of what I do these days is on facebook so I'm not in here a lot but I am around. If you can make it to R/A in July you should come looking for me. You know where to find me.

-Steve
We might do The Hawk, but my work makes it more likely that we will go to the vintage race in Sept... as long as that's not the weekend Kerrin's grandaunt invites us to Iowa to can/process meat (I won't be able to get out of it). I hope your dad is still lifting wheels with his A H. Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts