Ford Focus Forum banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, first post from me.

I too am having increasingly worse stumbling and hesitation issues with my 2003 2.0 litre. It's done 68k.

So, I have the same DPFE layout as tkheaven, the cylindrical one.

Does anyone know the part number I need to order to get the replacement? Is it the new square, boxy style one?!

Thanks all.

B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Loved the pictures and explanation of the EGR system and the function of the DPFE. My post for my 2000 Focus wagon with the rough idle also "surges" while driving. It's been doing that for some time. The rough idle and quiting while stopped in drive is recent. Disconnecting the vacuum hose to the EGR valve and plugging didn't affect the idling. The CEL in now on as you said.

I appreciated the information. If you have any words of wisdom, please share.

Carlm

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #123

·
Registered
22 Posts
Legend Of Grey Smoke said:
If you have a chip programmed to disable the egr, go ahead follow the vacuum tube from the DPFE to the intake, and unplug it and cap it with a vacuum cap. It greatly solved my stuttering and stumbling issues.

On the problem of your front floorboards be full of water, I've seen where whoever (Ford or owner) replaced the interior air filter which is actually outside under the cowling beneath the windshield and didn't reinstall it properly and water floods in during down pours into the blower for the heate/air and overflows into the passenger floorboard.

It's a possibility.... I'd check the simple things...
I reset the battery. Its better, but only about 20% better. And i confirmed that my DPFE is the correct one through Ford. Could it be my EVR??? I've yet to throw a CEL, and my mechanic swears its not the DFPE at this point. I'm hesitant to take it to Ford because i know just to look at it will cost me big bucks. I may try the work around and see what happens then.

As for my other problem, Ford has a fix... $400 repair on a problem that is obvious a design flaw in the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
sounds like this is a big problem with the 01 focus. I have a 01 & I just got the car and its haveing the same 40/45 mph stutters and CEL for insufficient egr flow so ill be heading to autozone in the morning to try & get this replaced. Ill post back with my findings lol

Looks to be a EASY replacement & my 01 had the dpfe sensor right under the air intake tube. I wonder why in the same year they have 2 differant locations for it?

Thanks for all the help & pics on this topic as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to auto zone and got the part i needed today.What they call the DPFE for the 01 is the fire wall mounted one & for the one i needed (just under the air intake tube) is considered a EGR valve position sensor part # su2308 $39.99. The fire wall mounted one is su2108. They had to punch in the part # to get the one i needed as it wasnt listed for some reason but they had it in stock. I remembered the # from an earlier post on here so that was a life saver.

It took me a tottle of like 15 mins to change it so that was great.I drove it and the studder at 40/45mph is gone and no light yet so im happy. Thanks for the help & info guys.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
can i use silicone hose for dpfe to egr tube??
or is it better to get same hose from ford??

because 2 hose goes to egr tube, 1 of them is loose, i can pull it out with almost 0 force..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update. I came to the conclusion my problem was not entirely the DPFE. MOTOR MOUNTS!!! I've never had one guy bad before, so i just assmed it was DPFE related. I swear that my DPFE went bad, and worsened my motor mount (R/F) over the years. So even when i corrected replaced the DPFE, i still had mad engine vibration. Got the mount replaced yesterday... never knew my 01 could sound so silent at idle. I mean it really is night and day. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2003 LX 2.0 SOHC SPI Auto Transmission, Firewall Mounted DPFE

My Focus putts terribly at idle, its gotten to the point that it has stalled several times (at stop lights). I have not had any loss in power whatsoever, and the car only does it when idling for a few seconds.Now a/c, defrost, and heat affect engine, this is a new symptom, when turned on, it causes the car to rev up without me pressing the gas. When turned off, the car idles even rougher, and nearly dies with that change alone.

Possible Causes:

- DPFE Sensor

- EGR Valve

- O2 Sensor

- Dirty MAF Sensor

- Vacuum Seal leak

- Sudden change in octane, 87 was used for the last year or so. 85 was used for (2) fill-up's recently.

- Poor gas station equipment? I went to put gas, the customer before me had left, but had came right back as I was fueling up. They had put $30 in gas, the pump had seemed normal, but when they drove away they realized there wasn't an ounce of gas in their car. Pump seemed to have been fine for me, my fuel gauge read full. Problem seemed to have started with 1/4th of this tank left. I have since filled up with Conoco 87 octane+Lucas Treatment, burned the whole tank. And also a Conoco 91 octane full tank, nearly gone.

What I've done so far:

Lucas Treatment (Mixed with full tank of 87 Octane Conoco)
91 Octane Fill up (Same Conoco as above, no treatment)
87 Octane Fill Up (Same Conoco as above, no treatment)
New EGR (DPFE) Sensor (Unplugged Battery for a few minutes, to allow it to reset.)
New Air Filter
Seal the DPFE Sensor (http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl718i.htm)

Nothing has helped so far, Check engine light is on it states "P2195 o2 sensor Lean fuel from bank/slot 1." It has never said anything like EGR Malfunction.

Next Steps (in order that I will complete them)
:

BG K44 Treatment
Replace Fuel Filter
Clean MAF Sensor (possibly replace)
Replace o2 sensor bank 1/slot 1
Pressure Injector cleaning
Look at more EGR options, Actuator/valve/vacuum seals etc.

I don't want to buy a crappy bosch o2 sensor, nor do I want to pay $120 for a motorcraft one from a local dealer. I'm assuming it will take a fewdays to get here from http://www.tousleyfordparts.com

Chronology of problem:

1. Gas problem stated above happened.
2. Approx 2 weeks later, CEL Turns on.
3. CEL decoded, unknown code (didnt jot it down) , stated lean fuel slot/bank 1, was not o2 sensor specific.
4. No symptoms related to CEL for 2 days, then idling problem started.
5. Lucas Treatment put in with 87.
6. 4 days after lucas treatment, I ran out of gas filled up with 91 no additives. CEL turns off.
7. 1 day after 91 fill up Replaced DPFE sensor, unhooked battery no change. Car ran worse, Idle caused the car to stall for the first time.
8. CEL Turns on, Code is P2195.
9. Replaced Air filter, bent firewall to seal DPFE sensor and shield egr valve. Visually checked vacuum seals.

I am kind of desperate at this point, I need the vehicle to run right for a road trip that I have coming up, but can't seem to figure just what is wrong with it. Any suggestions or comments or things for me try would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
705 Posts
in the link to Focus Hacks ... does walk around #2 still cause the CEL?

because i pulled p0401 the other day, cleared it to see if it would come back, and now pull a p0402.

im just its simple, i just wanna know if the walk around #2 will throw the CEL or not. i have to get the car inspected this month and with my job loss today, money is now officially tight

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
seems like what i experiencing these days..
from the stop, car is about to die but barely keeping alive..
randomly does this..not always..
sounds like stage 3+ aftermarket cam or old ol v8..

sometimes, pressing gas pedal will not move until i put it out of gear and put it back in to raise rpm..
this also happens whil cruising, i have to drive like a maniac to keep rpm as high as possible..

so this is dpfe problem??
can this be also fuel pump or clogged fuel injectors??

replaced pcv hose, coilpack, coil wires, spark plug, both o2 sensors 2 months ago..

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
now put it out of gear thing isn't working anymore..
only thing i can do is, do WOT all the time from the start or on high speed on highway..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone hazard a guess as to where my DPFE sensor may be located?

I haven't got the firewall mounted one or the one located near the coilpack.

I've got a 2003 (53) UK, 2.0 manual. Picture below:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2003 2.0 Zytek LX focus that has this stumbling issue and a refusal to rev and complete lack of power when it happens. The engine runs fine from cold then when it gets to temp it starts playing up. Its definately worse on hot days or if the air cond is switched on. The strange thing is switching the engine off then restarting the engine fixes itself and runs fine until about 15 minutes later then it happens again.

I cant find any DPFE on my focus and it doesnt have a EGR valve either. The mounting points for the DPFE are on the firewall but there is nothing there! What is different about mine that it doesnt have this and how do I find the cause because the symptons are identicle to what people here say they get when the DPFE plays up?

My engine looks identicle to Billitt_500's

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you dont have one on the fire wall its a small black box with 2 hoses going to it hanging freely just under your air intake hose and just behind the distributer.Its a simple change and isnt hard to find.

i bought one from autozone used it a few weeks and still had the problem,took it back and swaped for another new one & it runs fine ever since.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts