Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this today at a local big box. There was a banjo case on the back seat, and since I didn't have one with me I was able to resist the urge to break the window and leave another.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also saw a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth (the new Miata based one). First one of those I've seen. Black with red decals, grey interior with Abarth logo headrests and steering wheel, quad tip dual exhaust. Looked GREAT, although I would never buy a black convertible. Any black car for that matter, they're too hard to keep clean.

Saw what was probably a '65 Shelby GT350 clone. Didn't have the Plexiglas sail panel windows, just the metal "vents". White with blue stripes. Automatic trans (giveaway, since I don't think they were making autotragics that early in the non Hertz rent-a-racer models).

And I saw a Civic Type R, for the first time. Black with red, a little too boy racer for me. The red just highlighted the wings, gills and strakes. Interior was bright red. All a little too over the top for me.

Other notable car I spotted was a new Toyota CH-R. Not really special, just Toyota's answer to the Honda Fit.

Didn't get pics of those unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
What a beauty! I'd love to have that Olds, or the Fiat, for that matter.

Was there a car show going on somewhere near, or what?

BTW, all the Mustangs from '65 had the triangular side vent, no single panel windows existed at that time.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was my understanding that Shelby put in Plexiglas windows instead of the metal panel. Probably weight reduction, but maybe a little visibility from them, even though they were small.

No car show, just saw these randomly during my day off the island.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
No, I believe you were probably looking at a genuine GT350 there. If Shelby ever had a Plexiglas pane in a '65, it would have been on a dedicated track car that had several other modifications made to it. All '65 production Mustangs (including Shelby's) had the normal split side windows. By '69 Ford dropped the split and installed the dreaded one-piece on cars... trucks kept them for awhile.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're probably right. The '66's I've seen have Plexiglas windows, and just ass-you-and-me'd that all the first gen ones did.

Tributes I've seen built on a regular fastback still had the vent windows.

Recently saw an auction for transitional models (252 or something). Ford wanted GT350's in the showrooms at the same time as the new model year Mustang. Shelby couldn't have waited for Ford to send them production models, modified them and delivered them to showrooms in time, so Ford sent him a quantity of 65's that he worked his magic on.

Built to 1966 GT350 specs they had a Plexiglas window in place of the metal vent panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts