Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in a parking lot the other day. Not at all my favorite era for Mustangs (any American performance car for that matter), but I do have a soft spot for the late 70's Mustang II's with V8's. This might have been a Cobra II, but if it was the trim and graphics had long since fallen or worn off. Blame the affinity for the Cobra II on Farrah Fawcett in Charlie's Angels.

Love the antique auto license plate. Maybe they should have saved that money and gotten some body work or a paint job.

Speaking of Cobra II's, there was a girl a year ahead of my in high school that had one. White, green stripes, t tops, 4 speed, and her dad was a bit of a gear head and had built the 302 with GT40 heads, competition cams, hi compression pistons, headers and true dual exhaust. For graduation, her college car was a Ford Festiva, same color scheme with a manual. She was joking that she had less than half the pistons, displacement, and horsepower, but 1 more gear and twice the gas mileage (or more). Dad thought since she was going away for college she'd need a car with better MPG and a larger hatchback for all her stuff.

Come to think of it, she might also be the reason I have a soft spot for Cobra II's. AIR she could have given Farrah a run for her money, but that might be adolescent high school hormones talking.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Rare car to see. Surprised the Ohio rust monster hasn't eaten away more of it.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
They (The Mustang II) has some potential.

Just restoring it could make it a head turner.

There's a non Cobra Mustang II for sale that I've see, almost daily. It's not a fast back and it has a covered vinyl top. I think it has some potential, but it would take a lot of time and effort. Right now Time is a commodity I don't have. :(

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts

I still think they're kind of a ugly and a part of Mustang history that most are trying to pretend never happened.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Ugly history or not, that blue Resto-Mod is sweet!

:bow:

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Yeah, the blue one is great looking. Quite the head-turner, I bet. People who see it in motion probably wonder if it's some kind of TRV, or some Brit/Euro car that never was imported. I hope he swapped engines/trans and suspension to go along with all that expensive body work... hardly even a Mustang II in that case.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I really don't see what the big deal is. Sure, it was based on the pinto, but the original mustang was based on the Falcon! Not much difference there! Yes the power was nonexistent, but that perfect storm of the EPA and the oil embargo. It made sense at the time, and it kept the name alive. Also, the front suspension turned out to be one of the most popular for hot rods!

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts

I had to find out more about this car. At first I was about to retract my quote, but then I finally found where to learn more about the car.

http://www.amcarguide.com/custom/“mustang-evolution”-custom-1978-mustang/

The car is more of a custom job than I originally thought. I was thinking they grafted Mustang II bits onto a 2005 Mustang, but that is not the case. This really gets my respect now.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Back to the regularly scheduled thread...

·
I am Teds custom title. Not anything like the one
2,916 Posts
Ugly history or not, that blue Resto-Mod is sweet!

I had to find out more about this car. At first I was about to retract my quote, but then I finally found where to learn more about the car.

http://www.amcarguide.com/custom/“mustang-evolution”-custom-1978-mustang/

The car is more of a custom job than I originally thought. I was thinking they grafted Mustang II bits onto a 2005 Mustang, but that is not the case. This really gets my respect now.

yesssss!! :hump::hump::hump::hump::hump:

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
I saw the blue restomod car at Sema a couple years ago, really impressive build.

-Steve

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Thanks for that link wilko!

Now it makes more sense. That extra 12 inches added to the wheelbase (front wheels basically in the location where BMW puts theirs) makes it a real fooler, when you're trying to see the Mustang II in it (not to mention all the other bits). A time-compression video of the entire build would be fascinating.

Steve, I hope you were lucky enough to be around when they moved it... that V10.

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
Nah, it was parked on the floor by the time I saw it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts