Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my new shifter cables installed and now it has a lot of play in it plus I can't reverse... Any ideas to check?

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
you adjust the shift cable lengths? play with it to find the spot/length that works.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well he got it to where there's not much play in the shifter but still can't find find reverse.. Could it be the cables are set up incorrectly?

·
Revrent
6,101 Posts
go just a little farther. It'll work. I put in a CFM Short throw shifter and had the same problem. One of them just needs to be moved a little. Have a frind help. Put it in neutral and have him hold the stick still in the middle. Then you adjust the cables to find the sweet spot.

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
yeah...the just one little notch can make a noticeable difference. If your not sure which way to go, try putting both the adjusters centered, while in neutral, then make a small adjustment to see how each direction affects the shift pattern, then once you figure out which way you need to go, make slightly bolder adjustments then walk it in to fine tune it...then repeat for the other cable. One cable handles side-to-side movement, and the other adjusts the 1-3-5 /n/2-4-6 up-to down movement.

if your familiar with zeroing and adjusting sights on a rifle(being Texas and all ;) ), its the same concept.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for the info and wich one directs the reverse cause I had my car checked at another shop and he told me its my transmison wich I just had it replaced is defected..I dont have the money nor the time to get it removed to get my refund back cause then I'll be without a running car.. I can't really find An actual shop that knows a lot about ford focuses so may have to take it to a ford dealership to make sure..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will .. The mechanic now ls somewhat but when he told me he couldn't put it into reverse directly from the tranny I was like aw damn this transmission I bought is screwed up.. Just praying it's just the cables .. Thanks again

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I don't think I could get mine into reverse from the lever on the transmission either, I think it would take a fair bit of leverage and I don't have a clue which way to move it to get it there anyways.

These Getrags have been very sturdy transmissions so for you to have two bad ones in a row would be pretty odd.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the reason I replaced my transmission cause the one that was in the car I only had three gears , 1st, 3rd and 5th (plus recerse) and the shifter was slanted back..plus we found out that there was a long wire holding down the cable ilI guess to keep it in place all this time..

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Well the reason I replaced my transmission cause the one that was in the car I only had three gears , 1st, 3rd and 5th (plus recerse) and the shifter was slanted back..plus we found out that there was a long wire holding down the cable ilI guess to keep it in place all this time..
By that description I think you replaced a good transmission due to a faulty diagnosis.

Obviously I can't say for sure but like I said the trans itself is very strong and plenty of people have been putting 300+ hp through these without breaking them.

The shift linkage on the other hand can be a problem, between cables and the little shift block at the trans they do have issues shifting but it's typically not an internal problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my new shifter cables installed and now it has a lot of play in it plus I can't reverse... Any ideas to check?
There's a shift pin in the transmission tower it's probably about to break on you then you won't have any gears till you replace it. My shifter started to get sloppy then I lost reverse them I lost all gears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts