Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has been posted elsewhere, but since the Typhoon intake has been discussed so much here recently, I wanted to be sure all of the focaljet members had this information also.

I have an early K&N Typhoon intake on my car that was purchased just after the product was released. Updates may have been made to fix this issue in later versions that I'm not aware of, as the K&N rep I discussed the problem with has not kept me up-to-date.

The problem is that K&N punched the MAF housing hole (or the mount holes) in the heat shield incorrectly, and thus the MAF sensor housing is not centered well in the hole. This allows contact between the heat shield and the MAF sensor, and between the heat shield and the MAF sensor housing (tube).

Problems that can arise from this are:

Exterior damage to the MAF sensor
Stress to the MAF housing
Resonance/noise

These two simple mods are what I did to fix the problem. Everything fits together perfectly after this, and there should be no stress to the MAF housing from contact with the shield, as it is now "suspended" in the hole by the rubber mounts.

First, I used a rat-tail file to elongate this hole (shown in red) so that I could center the MAF housing better and eliminate contact between the shield and housing. Take note of how off-center the MAF housing is in this pic, before the modification. It is resting against the shield at the bottom of the opening:

Second, I bought a couple of thick nylon washers at the hardware store to space the edge of the MAF sensor back away further from the heat shield to eliminate contact. One of the two white nylon washers can be seen in the pic below between the shield and the rubber mount. The washer is about 1/8" thick.

If you perform these easy mods and don't overtighten your filter to the MAF flange, I don't believe you will have to worry about any future damage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Modified mine in a similar way. Drilled a new hole and didn't space the maf farther
from the hosting like you did.

Sent from my DROID4

·
Registered
88 Posts
Beware! Do not tighten the filter on too tight because it will never actually feel "tight". You will bend your maf tube (as i did in the above picture that i never noticed) and your filter will actually fall off. It happened to me 2x now and this time, i put the filter back on after driving around for like 15 miles. the car is still running like absolute shtocko

Sent from my DROID4

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I mentioned that above in the first post. Just tighten until you can no longer rotate the filter easily by hand, then maybe another 1/2 to 1 full turn on the clamp screw. It's best to start out loose, then check it for a few days to see if you need to go tighter.

The MAF tube is only a $5 part, so you won't be out much if you do overtighten it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah i was a little over excited when i installed mine and didn't read this post until after lol

Sent from my DROID4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts