Got the 'old' brakes from the '04 on this ole girl now:

Next up:

...and moar pooooowwwwaaaaahhhhh!!!
Stay tuned,
-c

·
Registered
940 Posts
Nice! Which turbosmart boost controller did you get?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
eBoost Street Andy. It fits my needs for this car perfectly.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Good choice! Although I may be biased. :lol:

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Well, finally got the eBoost Street fitted and she is running at a crisp 14psi now. Gains were modest as she is now putting down 238whp/210wtq; but more importantly the tq curve is table top flat and my AFR's are a rock solid 11.8 or 11.9 at WOT from the time the loud pedal is fully depressed until the car hits the limiter.
Thank you Randy Robles for a super solid and robust tune.
My wideband has taken a crap on me though and a new one is going in tomorrow. I also have developed some spider cracking in my rear bumper and an odd panel gap problem with my driver's side door that I didn't notice before. Those two issues are being taken care of next Tuesday down at Auburn Way Autobody while I wait -- John is the Man.

Other than that I have only to retrim the rear hatch area now that the new audio components are in as well as have some custom floor mats made, and a little bit of underhood detailing (which is not hugely important to me -- no shaved bay for me) and this girl is completely finished.

Then it is onto the '01 and my first foray into the zetec platform in full force...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Nice power numbers Chaz! (Didn't I just say that on facebook?:lol:) She must be a very fun ride now.
Looking forward to updates on your 01. Should be interesting as always. :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Randy is tuning at fswerks again?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Thanks Andy!! And no Dan, he isn't. He works for Mountune now.
I won't get into the details but this car was tuned quite some time ago. Lucky for me the tune is as rock solid at 14psi and with new hardware as it was at 12.7psi.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Randy is tuning at fswerks again?
Go read through page 13. It will tell you everything you want to know. :)

Thanks Andy!! And no Dan, he isn't. He works for Mountune now.
I won't get into the details but this car was tuned quite some time ago. Lucky for me the tune is as rock solid at 14psi and with new hardware as it was at 12.7psi.
Your welcome Chaz. I'm thinking I need to get my car to a dyno. I'm real curious what she is putting down for power.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Can't go wrong, three dyno pulls and it was <$100
Best money bang for the buck to spend on your ride.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Those numbers seem a little low for 14psi. I would think both hp and torque should be 25-30 higher than where you are. Are you running 90 or 93 octane?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Those numbers seem a little low for 14psi. I would think both hp and torque should be 25-30 higher than where you are. Are you running 90 or 93 octane?
I've said the same thing, i'm not real sure what the deal is.

- Drew

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
I thought so too, 92 octane. Then again, this same turbo 'underperformed' when it was on my 2.3 as well so it may be this particular gt28rs

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I thought so too, 92 octane. Then again, this same turbo 'underperformed' when it was on my 2.3 as well so it may be this particular gt28rs
To make it an even playing field, I would expect more power out of the kits standard GT28R.

Could just be the dyno realistically.

For reference;

2.0 w/ Standard 28R w/ Cosworth manifold on 15psi;

2.0 w/ 28RS on 11psi and Cosworth manifold. However, it has Crane cams, it's also a fair amount lower boost level, so it should about even out;

I'm betting it's the dyno itself. You should stick your grey car on there and see what it puts down compared to what it did at FSWerks on their dyno. Then you would have a somewhat reasonable comparison,

- Drew

·
Registered
940 Posts
That second dyno chart is/was SR Performance's car. It also had a 2.3 head on with some mild port work besides the cams if I
remember correct. Just wanted to point that out as it will effect the power output.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
I'm putting on a new 02 sensor on Tuesday; I'll shop around and see if there is another outfit that has a dynojet for comparison's sake.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm putting on a new 02 sensor on Tuesday; I'll shop around and see if there is another outfit that has a dynojet for comparison's sake.
Don't waste your money, without changes its not going to change more than a 2-4 hp. Dynojets are very consistent and repeatable. Could be an underperforming turbo. Just because it is making pressure doesn't mean it is flowing correctly. Think power difference at 14psi on a gt28 vs gt35.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Thanks Jared. I may eventually pull it out of there and examine it -- I've owned it since new and it has very low miles on it

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Well, tidied up some loose ends on the car -- had a phantom current draw that was causing the battery to go dead every two weeks or so. Ever heard of the battery saver relay?
Me neither. Fixed.
The valve cover is on and looks stunning in the bay. SVT hi tone horn is in, and finally got my TQST33R plate on.

^Sorry for the potato pics.
I was contemplating a FSWerks engine cover for her but honestly I like the naked look of the motor as is.

Car goes into Davis Brothers Upholstery next Tuesday to have the rear trunk area done and this car is...done

The transmission in my daily driver blew up this week so it's time to dive headlong into that ole girl and start a new adventure.

·
Registered
940 Posts
That engine bay is so perty. Really dig the new license plate too. Looking forward to seeing what you do to
the 01 now that this car is done.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts