Ford Focus Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
In anticipation of running a bit hotter with the turbo, I want to mount an SVT oil cooler. I had picked one up with a bunch of other stuff I got a few years ago, only now looking at it I realize I'm missing a piece. I have this:

Notice how it's missing the threaded piece in the middle that both keeps the sandwich cooler on the block, and mounts the oil filter, as seen here:

Would anyone happen to have one of these lying around they don't need?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
mines level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Dude, that would be awesome!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Installed the new turbo oil drain, and the best angle I can get is 35 degrees on the CHRA. It will have to be okay.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'll dig that piece out tomorrow night. I won't get home until after 11 tonight and have to be up at 5 for work

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have one and its now dug out. It does have some surface rust. Let me know if you want it

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I do want it. PM me how much you want for it, and how to get the cash to you.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Part arrived! Thanks again 02_Z_X_3! Also got a text from my welder today, all the fittings have been welded on the intake manifold and the IC to TB tubing!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Got the intake manifold and IC piping back from the welder. I added a spare port for "just in case."

I still have to make turbo to intercooler piping, deciding if I'm keeping the AC. I want to, but it forces the IC piping pretty low. The IC to TB piping also needs tweaking, I think the IC in whatever car it was originally in was a bit farther forward than mine is, and I can't move mine as it fits the opening in the Roush front bumper perfectly where it is.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Well, bit the bullet and spent the 36 hours of OT I had on today's paycheck; MAFia, Boost A Pump and Turbosmart eBoost2 boost controller are on their way to my hot little hands!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Have you ever seen the demotivational poster, with a ship sinking, entitled "Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others." There's times I feel like my car serves that purpose.

For example, I wanted an oil pressure gauge. Hey, the stock sender is right by the oil filter, I'll tee off of that. Boy, the sender is kind of big, I'll put this tee on a nipple to get it farther away from the block. Now that I'm going turbo, I need an oil feed, and I already have this port, so I'll make it a three way, still on this little nipple. This little, brass nipple...

At least there used to be a nipple and a couple tees there. Doh! When I went to remove my stack o' adapters, I found it leaking and about to break off. I got lucky, it only leaked before I decided to change it. I knew that having all that mass hanging off in space was a bad idea, and got a NPT to AN adapter along with a foot long -4 stainless braided hose. I'm relocating all three things being fed off that port to the firewall, away from the motors vibration. Now, I have to hope the easy-out can get the chunk of the nipple that snapped off flush in the block out so I can move on with the fix!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am installing a oil pressure gauge right now and am running into the same problem and was thinking about going remote. Your experience just convinced me. Where did you get your braided hose from?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I picked up a -3 line from an plumbing.com for my oil pressure gauge. I was worried about the same thing happening. What sensor did you use inkedfireman? The fat autometer one?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Yes, I have the one that came with the gauge. If I were just running the stock idiot light sensor and a turbo feed, I'd tee it off of that port with iron/steel fittings. When you add that massive sensor, it's time to use a braided stainless line and move the mass of sensors away from the motor, in my opinion.

I'm fortunate that I'm not too far from an Aeroquip warehouse, with a fabrication shop you can walk into and get stuff made. I simply asked for a 1' long -4 AN braided line, along with 1 of the 1/4" NPT to -4AN adapters to go in the block, then I got 2 of the -4 to -6 adapters from BAT Inc to on their tee that has a -6 in and out, with a 1/4" NPT on the tee. I then tee'd off of the NPT port on that tee to a triple 1/4" female NPT tee. One port is used to attach to the first tee, then off of the other two ports are the idiot light oil pressure sensor (1/4" NPT) and the other I used a 1/4"NPT to 1/8"NPT bushing to adapt the Autometer oil pressure sensor to.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Ahh, when an Easy-out works, there is nothing sweeter...

Lesson learned, no brass fittings near the car!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Glacial progress continues! Have all of the vacuum ports I need off of the intake barbed, and have two left. I'm going to call tech at Kenne Bell to ask about the boost switch. I have space for it, but it seems everyone runs it all-on all the time, which saves having to run wires into the engine bay to the sensor. I received the new oil adapters from BAT Inc, for the remote oil line. Now, I have an 1/4" NPT to -4AN adapter in the block by the oil filter, a 1' -4 line to a tee consisting of a -6AN in and out, with a 1/4" NPT at 90 degrees, and -4 to -6 adapters on the in/out. They don't make a -4AN tee with a 1/4" NPT port on it, hence the adapters.

The -4AN out goes to the turbo oil feed, and the 1/4" NPT port has a 1/4" NPT tee on it, so I can run the stock oil pressure idiot light sensor (has to have a 1/4" NPT thread), and the Autometer electric gauge sender (with an 1/8" NPT to 1/4" NPT adapter!) off of it. That's a lot of words, here's a pic:

Now that I have the IM plumbed, I'm going to mount it and get all the vacuum hoses routed before I put the axles back in. Once the IM is in, my friend the welder can come look at the IC to IM tubing and see where they need to be modified to fit. I've got a chop saw abrasive blade, so I can cut up the original tubing that ran from IC to IM and make it into the turbo to IC tubing, upgrading from 2" to 2.5" while the IC to IM is now 3". As has become my custom, don't hold your breath waiting on updates. My life is what it is.

I also got a new daily driver a few months ago. Well, new to me! 2012 Fusion with 26,000 miles on it, 2.5L 4cyl and a 6speed auto, perfect for the drone to work. About 32 mpg, love this car! Treated myself to a vanity plate, references my other hobby of home brewing beer.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
That looks much better than my "hey I'll get this cheap, trouble free, daily driver so I can tear my car apart" car (2k ZX3 w/ almost 180k miles, black, and capable of also getting about 32mpg once I get done). I have a pile of parts to put in it including a fuel pump module, rear wiper motor, timing belt/pulleys, water pump, front washers that don't even try to squirt, and some electrical issue that has the parking brake light on the dash come on at random to find and fix... Once that's done (and the garage is emptied out!) I can start looking for money to give to the machine shop to sink into my PWSC car's new motor and such!

101 - 120 of 154 Posts