1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unboxing...

Size comparison. It's SMALL...

The ports...

Some pics of it in action. This device loads FAST. I have used various SCT and Hypertech tuners, and this is by far the fastest I have ever used. 4 tunes on the device: stock, 87, 93, and 1500 rpm idle for intake valve cleaning (for use with Injected's cleaning kit)...

I haven't had much seat time. I am using the 87 octane tune until I get a full tank of 93 in there. My commute to and from work is a little over 25 miles one way on a curvy an hilly two lane (Route 33 in WV). Today I loaded the tune at work on my lunch break and drove with it home. But, I got stuck in construction and behind a lot of traffic. I need more seat time. I did drive it in town a little, drove in D, S, and Manual. Got to do a couple of WOT passes (one in D and one in Manual). Impressions thus far:

1. Power: more is there, but without a dyno, I cannot say how much. The engine revs so much quicker and much more seamlessly. You give it the throttle and it just goes. It doesn't hesitate. Injected is working on more and I can't wait. There is more there waiting.

2. Drivability: much better with excellent throttle response and no hesitation. When I first started it after flashing it took about 30 seconds for everything to settle in and then it was great. Idle is about 50-75rpm more which is welcome.

3. Shifting: no DCT tuning yet, but the drivability improvements to the engine have improved the action of the transmission. Considering it has to relearn after a flash, it is already much better than it was.

I will report more in a couple of days. Right now things look great and I give kudos to Injected for their efforts and hard work. Fantastic work guys! [clap]

Update 5/22/13:

I just filled up with 93 again and should be good to go. I just loaded the 93 tune on my break and I will try it out on the way home today and while doing some school visits here in town.

The 87 tune is not going to show any huge gains at the top end right now (but they are still fiddling with everything and if you knew the sheer number of parameters they have to deal with you would be amazed they are even trying all of this), but the greatest gains so far are with drivability and area under the curve. The car is much more responsive and a joy to drive. Smoother too.

I can't wait to see what the 93 tune brings since they are telling me that I will see a pretty good difference.

And before anyone says that SCT got a 17hp gain on their tune, remember that their car was modified (mine is too) and their baseline was with 87 octane. The tune dyno was with 93 and they revved the engine out beyond the cut off for their baseline. I know REDFOCZ himself is being realistic about all of it and so should we. Both companies are doing good work we should be happy about. Compare apples to apples guys. Besides, like I have said before: different car, different dyno, different day. You cannot race a dyno sheet...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Awesome review Matt! Can't wait to hear your impression once the DcT tuning drops

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

·
Registered
883 Posts
This is all great and I love that this is from an auto perspective. Will look more into this

·
Registered
286 Posts
Im really looking forward to getting this for my 12. I feel it can get more gains than the 17+ from what Im reading about the sct tune.

·
Registered
883 Posts
TorqueRules: any increase in mpg?

·
Registered
51 Posts
So it looks like tunes are finally happening for the non-ST Focii, glad to hear it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do they allow for tuning by the owner or, are you locked into one of their off the shelf tunes?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now it is one of the shelf tunes tailored to your car. Later updates will be free. DCT tuning, working on now, will be a little extra $$.

To answer some questions:

MPG is excellent. My mileage was always in the 40s, and it still its, but I have noticed that it is not as speed sensitive. My mileage is better at higher speeds now.

This engine is very sensitive to heat and Injected has kept the stock safeguards to pull timing etc. if needed. The fan also runs more to keep things cool. They have a 180 thermostat kit to work with the tune as an option. I have one on order.

DCT function has not been messed with in the tune yet (they have on their cars for some time though), but function is improved nonetheless. The increase in the torque curve as well as the added throttle response makes it a much happier animal. It is night and day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Owner options for turning on/off the traction control/stability control is coming in the next update I am told. It will allow you to turn it off and keep it off with no dash light. :thumbup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
So, you're locked into one of their tunes? There should be some meat left on the bones if they made a tune safe for any location in the world.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, I am sure custom stuff will come later, but right now they wanted to have a nice safe tune available to the public ASAP. On the tuner there is an 87-89 tune and a 91-93 tune. There is also a stock tune (the most up to date one from Ford) and a stock tune with a 1500 idle speed so you can use their de-carbon kit without a helper to hold the throttle.

They are a wonderful and very professional group to work with. Customer service is top-notch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I just sent an email to Injected asking them to chime in, but they are not an approved vendor and are afraid to chime in without being so which is professional IMHO.

If you have questions, feel free to ask and if I cannot answer then, then I will ask Injected directly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They have been approved as a vendor on the "other" Focus forum and are currently running a discount if you want to check it out. But, I put a link to their new online store in a post above.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes. On a completely stock DCT car it was 10whp I believe. I cannot remember if that was 87 or 93. I believe it was 87. They are posted on the "other" forum.

But, the main thing to look for is the increases "under the curve." There is an average of 5-10 whp and wtq pretty much everywhere in the entire rev range. These are significant in that they improve the overall drivability and acceleration of the car versus just top-end gains. There were really good gains in that curve, especially the torque curve.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am guessing that the mid range is improved drastically right? The car seems to fall on its face midrange then pick back up in the upper range. 10 is lower than the SCT but you said that there is room for improvement. Is this something h that can be done at a local dyno tuner or does it need to be handled at their shop? Does the DBW response improve as we'll?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts