Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island tomorrow for the Road Race Reunion, a mere 8 miles away (house faces west and we watch the sunset every night over it). Round trip ferry tickets are $36, and I'm taking my bicycle ($4.50) so it's going to be about as much as Mid Ohio vintage race and Elkhart Lake vintage runoffs.

Last year the feature marque was Turner, and my dad and I saw more Turners than he had ever seen in his life.

My mother, who grew up here remembers seeing the actual race in the 50's when MG's and Triumphs were doing 75-80 down the street, right in front of the bars. Hay bales were the only protection and the course was run on public streets. The fun all ended when the state passed a law against racing on public streets.

Going to take a lot of pictures maybe meet up with my brother's college roommate who owns a hardware store over there for lunch.

Hoping for good weather and a great time!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So cool. I was just there on vacation the week before the SCOA Saleen Nationals. Saw a marker for the Road Races so immediately Googled it and read up on the event and history. Just so cool. Can't wait to see pics.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Any pix yet?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Have a few but haven't upload them from phone get. Probably will have to do that this weekend so I can take more of vintage runoffs in Elkhart Lake.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a couple.

Austin Healey 3000. Dad had one of these, a 1963 (only year for triple carbs- a real PITA to keep in tune, cylinders 3 & 4, one would be rich the next lean). And his was silver with a red interior.

Wrong exhaust also, at least tip is not what he had.

And these wheels are not right. Should have been wire, and the steelies were not Panasport mags.

Ferrari GTO replica. Probably a 280Z underneath, Ferrarisan. 356 Porsche next to him, and the pace cars in the background.

And a 1953 Jaguar XK120 "fixed head coupe".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts