Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I felt reliability information could be much more useful, so a year ago I started collecting my own data. Differences from existing approaches will include reporting results in absolute, readily comparable numbers--like "times in the shop" and having quarterly rather than yearly updates.

With the Focus, every model year except 2004 is now included in the main survey. But most are uncomfortably close to the minimum--additional participants remain very much needed.

I personally recommend the Focus often to people looking at the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, and such. I think you get a more powerful, better handling car for less money. But it would be good to have some reliability stats for the car to go with my recommendation.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, people who sign up to help out will receive free access to detailed results.

For details, and to sign up:

Vehicle reliability research

Comments and questions very welcome.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you like it.

Before jumping to quick judgments, consider whether you'd like to see this research happen. By keeping my costs low, I can provide results free of charge to everyone who helps out. We can either not have posts like this one, and not have this research happen. Or have the post and have the research.

So, which would you prefer?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
blueovaldave said:
Why not just rely on JD Powers, ect

They do all this stuff already.

Perhaps another valid question to the OP could be...

What are you doing differently than JD Powers and Consumer Reports and the rest of them that would make you be a more reliable source?

Asking out curiosity, by the way. Not looking to stir drama...

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
it feels like spam but there is no real advertisements other than to go to his site. also, he's actually posting around here.

hhhmmmmmm, mayhaps he's a clever gremlin?

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
i have created programs more clever than this troll....

can i comb your hair?

*and please, put some clothes on...this is a family site.

-chris:D

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
CrUziN4L said:
i have created programs more clever than this troll....

can i comb your hair?

*and please, put some clothes on...this is a family site.

-chris:D
a baby body with a an old man's head and face and with a Japanese girl's hair.

how did i not see this as a major trend among children and idiots adults?!?!?!

I COULD HAVE BEEN RICH!!!

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
:lol: taters, always adding a laugh to my day

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No program here. I also thought trolls post just to stir up trouble.

One problem with J.D. Power is they collect data at just two points, 90 days and the third year of ownership. There are actually many problems with the approaches of both CR and JD Power. I've written about them, and how my approach is better, here:

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/shortcomings.php

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/cr_survey.php

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/jdpower.php

If I thought they were doing a decent job, I wouldn't be starting my own research. But they aren't, so I am.

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
your symbol looks like AOL

i don't see a problem with it. also i don't really care. so rock on

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
you need to protext dead folders. well, that's what i call them

site.com/pieces shows the full directory. you don't want that :(

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I initially had the same reaction. Guy I hired to do the web design surprised me by also doing the logo, and then designing the site around it. It initially looked even more like the (old) AOL logo, but I had him make a few changes.

In his (and my) defense, the similarity isn't as strong if you actually look at the two together, and AOL moved on to a different logo a few years ago. Which I also didn't notice until this issue came up.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
yay lets be geek-oid-programming-losers.....

o crap, why am i calling out myself?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I don't pay any attention to CR or JD Power for the reasons you have stated on your website. But I wonder if your method is going to be any better. The frequency of reporting is much better but how are you going to handle certain incidents is my concern.

For example:

1. The seat belt height adjuster on the B pillar on my car broke. Repairs required 1/2 day. I see that as a definite hit

2. There was a recall on the battery cable. Definite hit. Required 1 day.

3. When they did the battery cable recall they stretched the cable to the starter too tight and it subsequently broke. Had to have car towed and then it spent a second day in the shop till it was fixed. Not a problem with the car but with the previous service quality. Does this get counted?

4. Cruise Control not working properly, instruments acting crazy, etc. Car had 2 trips to dealer for 3 days each. Problem turned out to be the aftermarket plug wires I put on the car leaking and interfering with the signal to the VSS. To me this one is all my fault.

If I were reporting to you or whoever I would only report the first two of the 4 incidents. But I have seen posts on here where people have blamed things similar to the second two on the car.

For that reason I would rather find a website for any car I am thinking about buying and spend some time doing my own research than depend on any place that tries to do surveys.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for not responding sooner, I must have missed the notification email.

Anyway, the third issue would be reported as a problem caused by the dealer. One of the questions on the survey asks who caused the problem.

With the fourth issue, the instructions state not to report problems caused by mods.

So, while the third would be reported, neither would be included in the stat I'm currently providing. I'll be providing more detail in the future, as sample sizes permit.

Those of you who have signed up, thanks. Still need more to get started collecting data.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Current counts:

2007 Honda Fit: 40 cars
2007 Nissan Versa: 42 cars
2007 Toyota Yaris: 23 cars
2007 Ford Focus: 5 cars; also 12 2006s, 16 2005s, etc.

End result: I'm still not collecting data on any year of the Focus, while I'll have results for the Fit and Versa in May, and for the Yaris in August.

I'd like to have the Focus in the research to clarify how much reliability truly differs among these cars.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts