Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this got posted already - in which case the search failed me horribly.

Many of you are familiar with Matt Farah and the YouTube channel TheSmokingTire. He released a video today of a modded 2003 N/A SVT Focus 5-door, and had some nice things to say about it.

I have to confess, it's making me want to snap one up. My ZX5 with Pirellis and the SVT suspension was SO. MUCH. FUN!

·
Registered
97 Posts
As all other comments I have made elsewhere...The owner didn't know a whole lot about the specifics of the SVT.

Sent from the top of a tree.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is me and this is my car. Before anyone roasts away at how horrible and misinformed I came off just know that it was super nerve wracking being on camera like that and when I did say some things he would take the words out of my mouth before I could finish and I would look like a fool

But nonetheless I'm still glad he loved the car and that it sounded super great on video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
You got hard core roasted on YouTube and a little on reddit.
Haven't checked the Facebook groups yet but I imagine it's there too.

Little sorry about that, though I gotta ask since it's the first time I've got a decent chance at getting an answer.

How's it feel to be crucified on the internet?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You got hard core roasted on YouTube and a little on reddit.
Haven't checked the Facebook groups yet but I imagine it's there too.

Little sorry about that, though I gotta ask since it's the first time I've got a decent chance at getting an answer.

How's it feel to be crucified on the internet?
Everyone gets roasted and it's not easy being on camera. For every criticism I received there was lots of people pm-ing me and commenting on how cool my car is and how they thought I did great. Honestly I knew what I was getting in to and I knew every word I said would be critically over analyzed and over-judged.
I feel bad for people that only have bad things to say, I had a great time and I'm glad Matt liked my car and my mods. Just focusing on the negativity is unhealthy and shows that you're only there to be an ass.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
That looked like fun for you. Never mind what the naysayers say, just enjoy the car. That guy has to make it sound like he's the "authority" and the smartest guy on camera. Some of what he said sounded dumb to me. He knew about the steering rack, but then tried to make it seem like turn-radius was actually important... geometry of the knuckle and track width are to blame there, but the car would be as sweet as it is if you changed one of those. Overall, cool to have the video to check out later... I'd have loved it if video equipment was available in small packages when I was racing, heck, when I started you needed a film camera.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I haven't been his biggest fan for awhile. Like it for a minute but couldn't get into it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
940 Posts
I still need to watch the video, but I would more then likely be the same way if I were to somehow get my car featured on
TheSmokingTire being an introvert and all.I know your just talking to the camera and all, but I get into a social situation
with a person I don't know very well and I swear I always end up sounding like a awkward and odd person, even if I
know my information well. It just doesn't come out right when I'm not comfortable and, ahem, focused. So I kind
of know in a way what it was like for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I honestly wished he had told me what questions he was asking me prior the shoot. It was really on the spot

·
I'm a Self Cleaning Oven!
1,704 Posts
This is me and this is my car. Before anyone roasts away at how horrible and misinformed I came off just know that it was super nerve wracking being on camera like that and when I did say some things he would take the words out of my mouth before I could finish and I would look like a fool

But nonetheless I'm still glad he loved the car and that it sounded super great on video

Congrats! You have an instagram?

·
I'm a Self Cleaning Oven!
1,704 Posts
By the way, I get made fun of all the time for being a Focus guy. I don't care at all. I freaking love MK1 Foci.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yeah, Matt seemed a little like a DB in this video.

Worst thing he said was about the exhaust, "Sounds like a Honda!"

At least he did say it was a fun to drive car.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Yeah, Matt seemed a little like a DB in this video.

Worst thing he said was about the exhaust, "Sounds like a Honda!"

At least he did say it was a fun to drive car.
An SVT does sound like a Honda, and Honda engines sound great. Not a bad thing in the least.

- Drew

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Eh, depends on taste and the car.

Some are OK, others not so much
Can be said about any car. Poor (aftermarket)exhaust design creates bad noise.

Honda engines typically flow very well, makes it easy to **** up. A poorly designed exhaust can make it sound awful. That's not the engines fault, as the same engine will sound great with a proper system or even stock.

- Drew

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
He was inside the car when he said "it sounds like a Honda". The inside sound is very different from the outside sound in most cases. Somebody could be driving along in their Honda with a fart can on and think it sounds like a race car, while all the people outside hear a 'phphtttttttt' noise, which is the reason for the name.

Personally, I don't think an SVTF sounds much like a Honda, inside or out, but I agree that that's really not a cut-down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well it's typically harder to **** up something like a sbc than just about any 'ricer'/import motor.

A cheap glass pack sounds OK on one of those v8's, when you stick it on most 4 pots it sounds awful.
Other than the new Alfa, v6 motors sound horrible 9 times out of 10.
I6 motors are about the only import stuff that sounds consistently good imho.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts