Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm planning on buying some european mirrors (power ones) mainly because they fold (sucks having them broken off).... Does anyone know for sure if the 6 wire ones are the heated ones from Europe? And how I should hook up the heat? Where can I get the heat switch/ controller?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Get some SVT mirrors. They fold and are heatable as well!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so you got me all excited
... I called Ford and they pooped on my parade
. Evidently they decided to REPLACE that more functional part with the non-folding mirror
! They don't sell the folding mirror anymore! Back to ordering it from the e-spec source.... Evidently there's no switch on the mirror for the heat... it just comes on when needed? I guess I'll just wire it to the batt with some sort of fuse inline?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Originally posted by 2000ZTS:
Evidently there's no switch on the mirror for the heat... it just comes on when needed?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey 2000ZTS, 2001ZTS here.

I haven't done it but the way it works or can work is the heated mirrors come on anytime the rear defroster switch is activated. Thats teh circuit to be tapped. I'm sure someone here has done it.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Originally posted by 2001 ZTS:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by 2000ZTS:
Evidently there's no switch on the mirror for the heat... it just comes on when needed?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey 2000ZTS, 2001ZTS here.

I haven't done it but the way it works or can work is the heated mirrors come on anytime the rear defroster switch is activated. Thats teh circuit to be tapped. I'm sure someone here has done it.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think biker16 did it on his car.

I still want to do it on my 2002 ZTS...but that pesky GEM...GRRR!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
501 Posts
at www.european-parts.net you can get the power or non-powered folding style mirrors

i actually want the new RS 4 style powered mirrors, those would look awesome on my car

l8r, John

[ 01-11-2003, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: railman ]

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
I don't get how ford doesn't sell/have the folding mirrors anymore? What if somehow one of the SVT mirrors fail under warranty and it needs to be replaced? Ford can't just put on a completely different mirror on the car. They have to still have the part since the SVT Focus is just 1 year old. Heck you can still get all the old 2000 ZETEC engine parts even though some have been revised/changed in newer Foci. I don't know something seems fishy to me...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by AnythingButAFocus:
I want to convert my manual mirrors to power with heat, anyone had experience doing this? AutoLoc doesn't sell a kit, so I may have to ghetto-rig it.

Andrew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i don't know because my car already has power mirrors, but does your car maybe have the wiring harness for the power mirrors already? It's cheaper for Ford to just put the same wiring harness in all of the different cars. If it does, then you could probably wire up the power mirrors by just getting the missing components...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Originally posted by mscreations:
i don't know .....but does your car maybe have the wiring harness for the power mirrors already? It's cheaper for Ford to just put the same wiring harness in all of the different cars. If it does, then you could probably wire up the power mirrors by just getting the missing components...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I already looked, mine isnt wired.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That would be REALLY weird if you own an SVTF, with folding mirrors, but one is broken, and you go to replace it at the dealer, and they give you the newer non-folding style. one folding, and one that doesnt fold? WTF? The hell with ford.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are rumours that the Jap market Focus has power-folding mirrors. Is they electrically fold-in when the ignition is off, like top of the line Mercs...
It's shown on the info CD, and I think someone in the FFOC managed to find part numbers and prices...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Smooth01ZX3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by FocusGhiaFFOC:
There are rumours that the Jap market Focus has power-folding mirrors. Is they electrically fold-in when the ignition is off, like top of the line Mercs...
It's shown on the info CD, and I think someone in the FFOC managed to find part numbers and prices...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just talked to some people in the prove-out department for the Focus and also that worked on the Focus project from the start in Europe and there are no mirros made for the focus that are power folding. There are power mirrors that fold but not by power. Damn!!! those would have been cool though.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">wow... that's completely bizarre... when I posted this question/comment originally I had never even thought of that possibility (folding mirrors that fold by power). I was simply looking for mirrors that fold and have power and are heated... I guess I'm not in the top-of-the-Mercedes-line demographic to have seen this option ever I suppose (I only ever test drove the entry level Merc.).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts