Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Duratec 2.3 PZEV ZX3.
No leaks for the first 300K miles, but finally started seeping above the exhaust.
I replaced the cam cover gasket with a major name gasket, I think it was Mahle, and now it wants to leak into the spark plug wells.
No external leaks around the perimeter at all.

I removed it again, cleaned and added sealer between the plug well gasket and cam cover, and after a few thousand miles I have oil in the plug wells again.

I doesn't cause a misfire or anything, but I know it's not right and it bugs me. o_O

Anyone have this problem, and what was your fix?
A particular gasket work better than others?
I don't want to seal the cover to the head, but if that's the only solution I guess I will.

Thanks.
2021-05-15 17.57.17.jpg
2021-05-15 17.57.13.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,446 Posts
You will need to make sure that you have a good seal in there. I had the same problem and ended up using a Felpro replacement and made sure that everything was cleaned and sealed when putting it back together and make sure not to pinch the gasket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need to make sure that you have a good seal in there. I had the same problem and ended up using a Felpro replacement and made sure that everything was cleaned and sealed when putting it back together and make sure not to pinch the gasket.
Thanks, I'll give FelPro a try next time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I pulled the cover again today. The gasket and head surface looks perfect. Even coating of oil and not a blemish or trail anywhere to hint at where the leak is.
I had glued the smaller gasket into the groove with the Loctite 518, and it was still securely in the groove. Had to pull it out with pliers, but it came out ok once started.

The Mahle gasket that I used looks EXACTLY like the Ford OEM one I bought this time. Probably the same manufacturer.

The cover's draining in my parts washer right now. I'm going to degrease the grooves with brake cleaner before installing the gasket dry this time.

Pics below.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts