Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took turns driving, I drove the first 200 miles and we switched when we stopped for rest break. My dad was out of practice with the stick and shifted 2 - 5 more than a few times. Also forgot to put clutch in coming to toll boths, stalled twice, was slipping a lot (3000+ RPM), was clutch ridding in traffic around Chicago (stop and go at 2:30, hate to imagine what it would have been like 3 hours later), held gears too long (had to remind him that he was trying to do 70 in 4th) and had to scream at him when he was going to pull out in front of someone (he's been driving on Kelleys Island 25MPH max and I know how hard it is to adjust to real world speeds, but I've noticed a year ago that he wasn't quite as sharp as he used to be).

He also insisted on holding the clutch in at lights and drove with one hand resting on the shifter. I (and my brother who's studying engineering) said that will wear on the forks, also keeping clutch in wears springs and hydraulic system.

He says he's been driving that way for 60 some years and hasn't noticed anything like that. Plus he says since he owns my car he'll be paying for repairs.

We also were talking about how he junked MY 2000 SE sedan (without asking me), and how he wishes he'd found a car with "more creature comforts" like power windows, mirrors and locks, cruise and tilt wheel. I reminded him that I had picked out a silver ZX3 SES that had 20K less miles and was a couple hundred dollars more than what he'd found. At the time he said "all that power stuff is more that can go wrong."

He also said that since it had been a tow behind (an RV on a dolly) the mileage wasn't accurate, and he was concerned there was more wear to rear end and suspension, "even transmission if they used a tow bar".

But we're here and I'm going to rent a cart for tomorrow and Saturday since he "won't see the need", until his legs give out and it's too late.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Enjoy the trip.

Don't worry about the clutch and stick habits, wear is more theoretical than a real issue.

Big Rigs require clutch in at lights as a rule, takes too long to get it in gear again.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was pretty good.

The place we stayed, Plymouth Rock Campground was literally right across the street from the track. We had a deluxe cabin, for $130 a night, and if it was deluxe I can't iagine what a basic cabin was. Little things really, like the light switch inside the front door was for the porch light. Light for the living room was inside it, in the hall for the kitchen. And every light switch had the fan switch first and then the light itself.

Bedrooms had only a wardrobe to hand clothes, a couple drawers, but no night stand, chair or light other than the one in the center of the room. No bedside table or chair, but I guess they didn't expect people to hang out in the rooms.

Mattresses were in a waterproof cover (which I can see), but there was no mattress pad (sticky and hot, and noisy when I rolled). I ended up sleeping on my sleeping bag and using the sheet to cover myself.

Fully equipped kitchen didn't include and oven, small dishwasher and only 2 sealed burners under a glass top. There were 2 light fixtures in that galley, and one flickered all the time, even with the switch off. I climbed up on the counter and pulled the cover off, thinking I could just wiggle the bulb (poor contact would make the fluorescent tube flicker) and there was only 1 tube there. I found an extra tube, installed it and realized that the reason it had been taken out was that it didn't turn off on the switch.

Overall, the accommodations were less than I expected. We could have gotten better for the price but would have had to drive to the track.

Racing was really good! I didn't rent a cart, but we could drive near enough to the places to watch- 3/4 down the straight first day before lunch, before carousel after lunch, inside carousel, Canada corner and the famous kink variously as the next couple days went on.

Saw some cars I and my dad had never seen. Rarest was a prewar Lagonda V12 (boat tail, cycle fenders looked like a Bugatti 37, which there was one registered but that guy was running an MG TC instead).

I have a lot of pics, downloaded them to this PC but so far haven't done anything to get them hosted.

One night we ate at The Osthoff, in a restaurant named Little Otto's. It was a pretty nice resort and conference center, cloth napkins, but surprisingly reasonable. Other meals were either at the track (lunch, once- pre cooked brat from a "warmer", sauerkraut was set out and wasn't heated, a drink and soft pretzel, close to $10), McDonalds, some regional chain I think called Garvey's, lunch on the way up at the Brat House, and dinner a couple nights at a local place called the Roadside Inn (really good food for the price). They had some mounts on the walls, a steelhead (probably 40") that wasn't real, a couple walleye that were and 2 deer heads. As I was looking at them the hostess said "I caught those." She had an eastern European accent and I asked "Oh yeah?" She said "Sure. We've got fishes and deers." I asked what kind of fish they were, and she said she had no idea.

I asked her where she was from, and she said Macedonia. We have several exchange students from European countries that work here for the seasons, and the last place I worked here had a couple girls from there. I didn't try any of the Macedonian phrases I learned, since they weren't polite.

Before leaving to drive back, I asked my dad if he'd showered. He said he had the day before we left and hadn't the whole time since he didn't think he was doing enough to sweat. I asked him if he would since I didn't want to spend the next 5 or 6 hours in a car with him. He didn't really stink, just had some old man musk going on. Which he did.

But coming back, he decided that we'd take a different route back than we came. I had my cell phone's navigation app playing through the car's stereo speakers, and was even telling him "I 90 will be coming up on the right". The GPS lady was saying the same thing "In a mile, I 90 veers off on the right", "In a half mile...." "In a quarter mile..." "300 feet" "200 feet", finally "In 100 feet, take the lanes to the right for I 90". I even said "You need to be in the right 2 lanes for I 90."

Finally I was pointing to sings that said I 90 east, on the other side of a concrete divider. I said "See those signs? That's where we want to be." He said "I agree, but how do you expect me to get over there? Drive through the concrete barriers?"

After a half hour, he says "I think you're right. We needed to get I 90 east. But, we're headed east on 94, and when we hit Indiana I'll get a map. Then we can figure out where we are." I reprogrammed my phone's navigation app, and got a route to I 90, but he couldn't take that for sure.

So, we stopped at the welcome center and he got a paper map. Looked at it, and decided that I 80 would be the best way back. We hit traffic on I 80, construction, and accident and missed the last boat back here. So we had to stay the night in a hotel on the mainland (another $120) but it included breakfast.

When we were driving back, my dad asked "If you came here next year, what would you do differently?" I said I guess the location was worth the price and lack of amenities. He said the same to my mother, so I'd say he had a pretty good time. I've looked, and next year the same weekend is a vintage race at Watkins Glen.

So, pics coming soon.

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
I can't imagine getting anything better around there for $130 a night, I usually sleep in the race trailer and use the track showers. There's a few places in Plymouth that look decent and it's only 15 minutes from the track.

Never been inside the Osthoff, the place seems to grow every year. Should have checked out the bar at Siebkins, lots of race history there. Best place in the area for dinner is Schwarzs Supper Club in St. Ana, http://www.schwarzsupperclub.com/

The track food is quite honestly far better than at most facilities of that type, The Gearbox serves great breakfasts in particular Egger sandwiches that are best with liberal amounts of Cholula sauce.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you Steve, but I was disappointed that the brat wasn't cooked to order, and that the kraut was cold. Cold bun (right out of a cooler) also. Other options were a $5 burger, with cheese $1, bacon $1, and $.50 for lettuce, tomato and raw onion. Pickle wedge came with it.

So it would have been $7.50 for a bacon cheese burger with all the trimmings.

License to print money I guess. And compared to other tracks I've been to (Mid Ohio, Daytona ISP and Sebring) the prices were around the same (burger would have included lettuce, tomato and onion, cheese would have been less than a dollar extra and 2 slices of bacon wouldn't have been an extra buck), except the burgers and brats would have been freshly cooked.

Here's the first uploaded pic, a 1965 Shelby GT350 at speed at the end of the straight away. Sorry it's a bit blurry.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sunbeam Tiger MKI. My dad had an early 1965 MKI (260 V8), and he said the black hardtop and driving lights are aftermarket. But he had Lucas Flamethrowers from the 1963 Austin Healey 3000 he traded in, so I guess that's alright.

Exhaust should have been chrome bologna cuts, not these round tips.

Steering wheel, shifter and painted gas pedal aren't stock. And when my dad installed those Flamethrowers, he drilled a hole in the dash, and put in a toggle switch like the stock ones. This guy has a switch mounted under the dash, in front of the shifter, where my dad's had an optional radio (ran on 6 C cells, detachable, and had it's own antennae).

There was a red Tiger racing, don't know if I got a picture of it.

Early 911, someone drove to the track.

1989 Dodge Dakota Shelby. Only made something like 2000 of them, in red and other color was black. You can see The Stig in the reflection on the door and next to it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the red Tiger, in a drag race to the corner with a 911. Wish I could tell you the Tiger won, but they would have been pretty evenly matched, and the 911 would have had been able to brake deeper in the corner, but he was on the outside so it wouldn't have been easy. If he was on the inside, I'd have said the Porsche would have gotten the Tiger.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice trip!

Your dad didn't do too bad, taking 94 down to 80 & 94 then picking up 80 & 90 again after Gary is often a better way to go. Avoids the toll I 90 and the Skyway, the road's not great and the neighborhoods aren't either.

Did take it early this year on a trip to MN, reminded me why it was often avoided, some construction didn't help. Time varies with traffic, often similar.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sponsored by Volvo, there were more Volvos being raced than my dad had ever seen. Many P1800 coupes, 242, 244's and a handful of PV44's - said he'd never seen anyone run them back in the day.

Here's s funny Volvo fender badge. Rampant Moose!!

And then the real deal, Scuderia Badge on a Ferrari 360 Modena. $30,000 purely cosmetic option, bragging rights?

Said 360 Modena.

Engine!!

That oil filler cap probably costs more than my Focus ($4800).

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Better pic of the Shelby GT350.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts