Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but could not find an answer. I have the DPFE that mounts to the firewall and Today I just replaced for the second or third time since the car was new.

I could have sworn reading that one of the reasons these go bad is because they get water inside them. I know when removing the hoses the one on the passenger side had water dripping from it.

My question is, Is there a mod. to prevent the DPFE from getting water inside of it? Is the water coming from inside the engine or from where it is mounted on the firewall?

Thanks in advance,
Allcruisen

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Water can come from both. The unit mounts at the split line of the cowl covers and there was a bulletin on gluing up the gap to stop water leaks from seeping into the unit.

Water is normally carried in the exhaust to get into it anyway. I have one with the short two hoses and those ruin DPFEs as often as once every 6 months. I put two 3 foot long hoses on to drape at the back of motor to make a water trap to keep all water far away from the DPFE and suddenly the part lasts for years, I haven't changed one since. I mounted the DPFE high on my intake plastic tube as well to get it up even higher.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts