Ford Focus Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
the new Mustangs are actually faster with an auto.
I call BS. Evidence? Maybe, maybe in a straight line. But certainly not around a road-course.

Also, I had every single spec on my SE minus the winter package--it was still 3.5k less expensive all told than an ST. So the entire 'ST is the same price' argument is kind of out the door here.

We're straying from the point, anyhow. SCT, or someone, needs to make a tuning device for this car. People have said the existing XCal will read the Focus' codes, so it's not a matter of technology. I don't care who it is so long as they're reputable and have results. They will have my money.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
The S, SE, & SEL models are by definition not enthusiast orientated when you can pick up an ST for the same price as a decently optioned SE.
I paid $8K less for my car the way I wanted it than an ST the way I would want it. $8K is real money in my world.

Not to mention that driving a manual isn't exactly something I would think about as being fun, in fact I don't even ever realize I'm driving a manual when I'm driving a manual. To me it's the same as driving an auto.
Then you clearly aren't doing it right. There is little more entertaining while driving than executing a perfect heel and toe downshift before throwing the car into a corner.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I thought that I posted in here? Strange. I messaged SCT and asked for E85 tuning too. Same message as everyone else.

Plenty of enthusiasts drive AT; either because they have to appease their significant other or they drive in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My significant other didn't know how to drive manual before our Focus. 2 weeks later and it was no problem. People need to be less lazy about learning new things.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
My partner and I have both. One auto one manual. We both can drive stick.

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Already posted in that one

·
Grassroots Sponsor
245 Posts
Talked to my rep today to get an update. Was told the Ecoboost stuff is coming first. That means the Fiesta and Escape tuning will come before the N/A Focus tuning. Kind of a bummer to be honest.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Who cares about the Escape? That seems like it'd have even less of a tuning market than our supposedly 'not worth it' NA Focus.

SCT, get bent. I could twist a girder into a balloon animal with how frustrated I am that they're the only game in town.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow, lame!
Ronnie I have friends at Evolution motorsports and Vivid racing and I spoke to them about tuning. They said they could probably do it, but because they are deep into other markets they didn't want to get into a new one at this time. What my buddy told me from Evoms is that they were afraid of toasting an ecu and having to replace it. I am still working on them though.
On a positive side, I suspect it won't take much to adapt their current software to the escape and fiesta since it is basically the same platform.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Tuning makes a bigger numerical difference on boosted cars so it is an easier sell. That is why they are doing this; the easy way out.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Tuning makes a bigger numerical difference on boosted cars so it is an easier sell. That is why they are doing this; the easy way out.
So true. Too bad they don't realize that tuning would allow us n/a guys to convert.

·
Registered
84 Posts
True on the boost tuning, but there is so much room for improvement on the N/A cars that it would be worth it. When you have a 12-1 cr engine tuned for 87oct running with direct port injection the gains that could be achieved would be incredible. You could also tune in for 6-8 psi safely which would make for even bigger potential.

·
Grassroots Sponsor
245 Posts
You guys all nailed it on the head, from the comment of being frustrated to SCT selling to the boosted crowd because of the "easy" big hp gains that can be sold to customers. Its just frustrating to be put on the back burner for so long. I am positive that the N/A Focus tuners will outsell the EcoBoost Escape tuners in the first week of being offered. haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
I call BS. Evidence? Maybe, maybe in a straight line. But certainly not around a road-course.

Also, I had every single spec on my SE minus the winter package--it was still 3.5k less expensive all told than an ST. So the entire 'ST is the same price' argument is kind of out the door here.
An SE with the appearance package MSRPs at 23700 the same as an ST1. Do I need to take a picture of my window sticker for you?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well, it's not really surprising that they're going for the turbo engines over the N/A. I'd try Cobb but they only work on turbo cars. When the BRZ came out they ignored it and now look what FA20club and John Visconti have been doing with the DI engine. It might take an individual enthusiast just taking the plunge and selling their results.

Paying MSRP for a Focus SE is ridiculous. But ignoring that, the SE with appearance package is better equipped than a ST1.

·
Registered
389 Posts
When you have a 12-1 cr engine tuned for 87oct running with direct port injection the gains that could be achieved would be incredible. You could also tune in for 6-8 psi safely which would make for even bigger potential.
How do you figure the Ti-VCT is "tuned" for 87 octane? 87 octane is the minimum octane rating, but the stock programming allows for increased performance with higher octanes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Considerable? No. Considerable is 20hp. Moderate yes. 2-5hp by changing to a higher octane gas is to be expected. The point is that from the factory this car is set to run on 87. When a car is "tuned" several aspects of the factory settings are changed. Timing advance or retard is one of them. In order to take full advantage of the higher octane gasses you can set the programs such as timing more aggressive. The same thing goes with setting the car to take advantage of e85. The last car I worked with was a vw r32. Just a "tune" over stock saw a 22hp gain. Then it was re-tuned for e85 and picked up an additional 19hp and 21tq in N/A trim. Set this car to run on 91/93oct and the gains will be considerable due to the fact that its a high compression engine running the more efficient direct port injection that from the factory was set to run on 87.

·
Registered
768 Posts
An SE with the appearance package MSRPs at 23700 the same as an ST1. Do I need to take a picture of my window sticker for you?
Ya overpayed, mate. I paid just a hair under 20k for my SE with everything except the winter package. I'd not have paid practically 24 grand for a non-ST Focus.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine while working on my car the other day. We figured at this rate, I might as well find one of the local, very successful tuners who does both SCT and OpenECU and give them a grand and ask them to give it their best. This isn't a black art. SCT doesn't want our business? O.K. But they better not complain when the market finds a solution that doesn't see money headed their way.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts