Ford Focus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
We are working on this but no ETA at this point. Hopefully soon!

This the answer I got today by email from SCT...:party:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
We are working on this but no ETA at this point. Hopefully soon!

This the answer I got today by email from SCT...:party:
Maybe within the year???? That would be sweet

·
Grassroots Sponsor
245 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
I heard some interesting speculation on the other forum, that what might be keeping them is the TCM for the 6-speed DCT. If so, then I'm even more hugely disappointed, because that would mean they've been purposefully neglecting MTX75 Focii.

Plenty of people shoving money in their direction, practically waving it, but so far a lot of vague doubletalk.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
That would really piss me off. Ignore the people who bought an auto, the enthusiast market was, is and forever will be with the manual transmission.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
That would really piss me off. Ignore the people who bought an auto, the enthusiast market was, is and forever will be with the manual transmission.
Ummmm... You are blatantly wrong.

I am ok with waiting for the version for the automatic to come out after the manual. But to call the enthusiast market a manual only market makes you look like you aren't an enthusiast at all. Which I know is not true. Lets remember that a lot of companies automatics are faster and more efficient than their manual counterparts (Porsche, Ferrari, etc).

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ummmm... You are blatantly wrong.

I am ok with waiting for the version for the automatic to come out after the manual. But to call the enthusiast market a manual only market makes you look like you aren't an enthusiast at all. Which I know is not true. Lets remember that a lot of companies automatics are faster and more efficient than their manual counterparts (Porsche, Ferrari, etc).
But we aren't talking about Porsches and Ferraris. The DCT in the Focus compared to a Ferrari's F1-Superfast is likening a chimp to Richard Feynman. Same family, different species entirely. You might be fine waiting, but some people have had their MTX75 equipped cars for just past two years now. In any aftermarket...that is an eternity.

I should also add that, while the DCT/DSG boxes in some supercars are far faster than any person, there is still a significant portion of supercar buyers--the enthusasts, and not the more-money-than-sense-sort--who wish the manual option still existed. Go on any place like Ferrari Life or other board dealing with exotics, and you will find tons of people harping about how the mustache on the Mona Lisa that is their fine motor is their transmission.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ferrari guys don't give a crap about transmissions!! They say they do!! All they care about is if your Ferrari is under 10,000 miles' my uncle bought a 355 with 10,500 and they looked at him like he was dumb for buying it! Very rarely do you find a true enthusiast with Ferrari all they do is trailer form show to show, showing how many miles they DONT have! Pathetic! If you spend all that money on a nice car, f'in drive it

·
Registered
238 Posts
After saying that, I own a DCT and im forsure an enthusiast! I would have gotten a manual, but at the time when I bought my car they did not have "Black packs" with manuals anywhere near my dealer let alone in the state! I wasn't going to wait 3 months for a build either! All 11k miles of my car has been in manual mode! I shift like a manual (lift off gas, shift, get back on gas.) i can drive a Manuel very well and while my friend owns a manual ZX3, he is the farthest thing from an enthusiast!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sour grapes, much? lol

Anyhow, my point remains; the DCT in the Focus is worlds apart from the DCTs that people will find acceptable for true performance. I'm not saying you're not an enthusiast for buying one with a DCT, but I'm with teamDFL on this one. At this level, a car with true sporting intentions sports an H-pattern.

Also, note that the ST, to my knowledge, comes as a manual-only.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sour grapes, much? lol

Anyhow, my point remains; the DCT in the Focus is worlds apart from the DCTs that people will find acceptable for true performance. I'm not saying you're not an enthusiast for buying one with a DCT, but I'm with teamDFL on this one. At this level, a car with true sporting intentions sports an H-pattern.

Also, note that the ST, to my knowledge, comes as a manual-only.
Don't get me wrong, im pro Manuel in every sense, and I feel that it is dying out in America which is sad! I have no guilt, I can drive a Manuel better then my friends who actually own one! My biggest thing is traffic and stuff i can't do constantly rowing through gears! Thats why I drive my DCT as a manual and if i really don't feel like being involved, I always have the D option!!
Lol

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Regardless, the fact that someone said that someone isn't an enthusiast simply because of their transmission choice is bull****. Simply put enthusiasts enjoy all cars regardless of transmission.

·
Registered
768 Posts
the enthusiast market was, is and forever will be with the manual transmission.
Regardless, the fact that someone said that someone isn't an enthusiast simply because of their transmission choice is bull****.
OFB, examine teamDFL's statement. He didn't say buying an autobox excludes someone from being an enthusiast. But, he assessed the enthusiast market as being one of predominantly manual transmission cars, a fact that is by and large true. No amount of equivocating will change that. Yes, a person can absolutely still enjoy an automatic car. But for the purposes we're talking about here, not nearly as much as a manually-operated transmission. I feel totally safe in saying that at least 90% of enthusiast cars are either manual by choice, or only offered in a manual. Look no further than the WRX and WRX STi for instance.

Ford didn't put a DCT in the Focus for enthusiasts. The Blue Oval put it in there to peg their fuel efficiency fleet numbers and move units.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I bought an SVT first time around. Got screwed over in the tuning department. This time around I SAVED 5k and bought the Standard slowcus in hopes of a bolt on turbo kit and tuning. SON OF A BITCH.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Regardless, the fact that someone said that someone isn't an enthusiast simply because of their transmission choice is bull****. Simply put enthusiasts enjoy all cars regardless of transmission.
Come on Matt, that is not what I said. The point I am making is that the inability to tune the DCT cars won't have much of an impact on SCTs sales as the enthusiast market overwhelmingly favors tha manual trans. As was said before, ST - manual only. SVT - manual only. This does not mean that you aren't an enthusiast if you don't have a manual, just that you are in the minority. Tuning is for performance and driving enthusiasts and those two groups buy manual transmissions 20 to 1, at least in my experience.

People buy supercars for technology as much as anything else. The DCTs are the new gadget, so they are popular. But when the Ariel Atom forgoes the manual, then we can say that enthusiasts have done the same.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Wow so I apologize. I was really over tired last night and somewhat sensitive and took things out of context. My bad. Ignore me lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
So let me get this straight? Enthusiasts don't buy automatics? I'm not sure that I follow. I 100% enjoy driving my automatic. In fact my focus is the first automatic car I'v owned in my 7 years of owning cars. Transmission choice has nothing to do with deciding if someone is an enthusiast or not. I hear some cars such as the new Mustangs are actually faster with an auto.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Please read what I wrote. The overwhelming majority of performance and driving enthusiasts that I know drive manual transmission cars. Since an SCT flash is a product aimed at performance and driving enthusiasts, not being able to flash the automatics won't make a big difference in the sales since those cars will only account for a small percentage of sales under the best circumstances. As was said before, you cannot get the most enthusiast oriented Focus, the ST, in an automatic. This is not a coincidence.

You Chicago folks sure are sensitive. :p

·
Registered
940 Posts
I 100% enjoy driving my automatic.
I really can't fathom how driving an auto can be joyful. You push the gas and the car moves. Yawn.

I hear some cars such as the new Mustangs are actually faster with an auto.
They may be faster with the auto, but they sure as hell are not as fun to drive as the stick shift.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly if I was buying the Focus as a weekend car, I would have got the ST not the 2.0l NA. The S, SE, & SEL models are by definition not enthusiast orientated when you can pick up an ST for the same price as a decently optioned SE. The DCT is just as much fun to drive as a manual, and a hell of a lot more fun to drive than a manual when stuck in stop and go traffic. I mean sure you can't dump the clutch, but everything else is the same.

Not to mention that driving a manual isn't exactly something I would think about as being fun, in fact I don't even ever realize I'm driving a manual when I'm driving a manual. To me it's the same as driving an auto.

p.s., I'd have bought a manual Focus if the DCT wasn't cheaper (stupid discounts).

41 - 60 of 84 Posts