Ford Focus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well the mechanic called me today and said he is picking up a book to find that fuse thing

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My mechanic couldn't find the issue somehow..he said he's gonna take it to one of his friends who know the system much better and can probably figure out the problem

·
Registered
991 Posts
What a friggin' migraine! I'm talking to the service managers and service writers to allow me to pay the tech I'm apprenticing for so I can work on this during normal business hours and utilize his massive automotive-electrical-knowledge-possessing-brain!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm taking my car back tonight, I'm gonna pull out the wire harness and check for any broken or bad wires..:,/

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm taking my car back tonight, I'm gonna pull out the wire harness and check for any broken or bad wires..:,/
Godspeed, Sir! I'm ordering the power harness at work and installing that after I get back from vacation... hopefully I find the problem while I'm doing the work!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm going to get a PCM first and see if that solves it..if I can get a descent deal. If that doesn't work then I'm pulling the whole wire harness out. I'm BEYOND annoyed right now lol

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So my PCM is getting power into it...BUT it's not putting anything out. I'm picking up a PCM this Friday, swappin it and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
991 Posts
So my PCM is getting power into it...BUT it's not putting anything out. I'm picking up a PCM this Friday, swappin it and hoping for the best.
So it was your PCM... I guess it'd be easier to backprobe that than trace the power through the looms in the engine bay... and you said the interior electric and devices still worked like normal?! But the PCM is unresponsive... hmmm

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So it was your PCM... I guess it'd be easier to backprobe that than trace the power through the looms in the engine bay... and you said the interior electric and devices still worked like normal?! But the PCM is unresponsive... hmmm

He said there is power to the PCM, but doesn't know why it's not sending any out. So I'm going to swap it to start the diagnosing lol. Much easier than ripping apart the whole dash and harness..

Everything inside lights up and works..radio speakers door chime cluster etc.. So I don't know why or how the computer died or fried..strange.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Remember Semir, if you get another PCM, get the keys too...PATS wont work otherwise unless you have the keys reprogrammed. Might want to grab the ignition barrel too...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Remember Semir, if you get another PCM, get the keys too...PATS wont work otherwise unless you have the keys reprogrammed. Might want to grab the ignition barrel too...
... or be prepared to have a dealership use the IDS programmer to rewrite the security codes inside the PCM...

I started fooling with mine since the service managers have been trying to clear the lot for customer parking... the battery only had 4.4v in it; it's been sitting for a month, but the battery is at least 4-5yrs old now... I'm curious to see if a new one might provide the voltage the PCM seems to lack.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The low voltage is more than likely your problem.

As for the key programming and what not, I know a few people ;). If I got my hands on the key, I'd still need the cylinder like you said...along with the door lock cylinders. It's an overall ****ty situation. But would the car crank over, show mileage, etc with the new PCM?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Nope, wont crank over, as the PATS in the 'new' PCM wont recognize the 'old' key. At least, I assume it's that way...or maybe it will crank but not fire up...someone else will have to chime in here.

It 'might' allow it to show mileage however...not sure.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I picked up the PCM and the Ti said there's a little wire on the negative on the battery. If its dirty or broken it will display dashes. So in goin to check that and then hook up the PCM.

But if the new PCM works the flashing PATS light should work??

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Fixed it...two identical harnesses were mixed up. Swapped them right before my friend removed the PCM. She turned right over..:)

·
Registered
991 Posts
****... I have a feeling I won't be so lucky. I haven't fussed with wiring in a long time, so the likelihood that two harnesses are mixed is nil! Good on ya, Sir... Huzzah!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Maybe I can help...from what all my mechanics told me...
*checklist
-little wire on negative to battery, make sure it's clean and making contact with the clamp for battery post.

-check ALL grounds. The ones next to PCM (3, two above inertia switch, and one below under carpet) clean them and reconnect. There are two near drivers foot area.

-check ground near passenger side engine mount. It's more towards front of the car.

-make a ground from engine block, over to the body

-check all of your fuses

-go through ALL of the harness connectors, and check for any oxidation inside of the connectors. If there is oxidation then that is a bad/broken connection to where the wire goes.

-make sure the wires for the radio are all plugged in.

Was your car sitting for a while? Check the battery voltage.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Has "plain-old-low-battery-voltage" even done this to anyone? I'm still convinced there is a connection issue at/near a harness, and I rechaged the battery AND checked the SOC (state of charge) to make sure I could eliminate that as a culprit... and I had been driving the hell outta that thing when it conked out; so I don't believe the battery was low when it happened...

I'm just wondering if low batt. voltage has ever done this to anyone!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Check your negative terminal/main wire for a little wire on it. One guy told me it can get corroded and cause this

·
Registered
118 Posts
With how sensitive electronics are low voltage can do what you're describing. Especially considering that there are fewer modules on the older cars, the PCM controls the majority of the car's functions.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts