Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove to Columbus Ohio yesterday, see a gal I know. Yesterday we left my car backed into her driveway in a decent neighborhood - lower middle class, young families, in between nice suburbs (Westerville address, but right on the edge of Dublin for those who know Columbus. Dublin is pretty high class, Les Wexner of The GAP fame lives or lived there). I didn't notice anything hitting the windshield on the drive down, there was nothing that fell or hit it but this morning as I was gassing up to drive home cleaning the windshield I noticed a crack in the lower passenger corner of the glass.

Only thing I can think happened, is this morning we went to a breakfast meeting, and she took a plate of food for someone she knows who is living in a sober house. Apparently, he's struggling, and about to get the boot from the house for not being sober. We were stopped at a light, and there was a panhandler with a sign that said HOMELESS PLEASE HELP.

He was walking slowly down the sidewalk eyeballing all the car's occupants. Being a soft hearted girl, she rolled the window down and hands him the plate of food. Said something like "Here you go. Sorry there's no silverware, but you can probably get some from there (gestures toward the convenience store he was in front of)."

Now, if I were homeless and wanted a meal, I'd damn sure not worry about lack of silverware. I'd eat with my hands.

I don't really remember him leaning on the windshield, but that's all I can think of that might have caused the glass to crack.

It looks like a longish letter U, just like someone leaned their palm on it. I think he probably stumbled stepping off the curb and put his hand out to catch himself. He had a backpack on, which looked fairly heavy, and I'm sure he was not totally right (drunk, drugs, schizoid, just a stumblebum, who knows?).

Good news is I went to Safe Lite auto glass' website, and they said if a dollar bill can cover the crack, and it's not too close to the edge (graphic showed it right on the edge) they can usually fix it. Sure hope so, as the little bit of scratch I've gotten ahead would be just about wiped out with a new windshield.

One step forward, two steps back!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
You can't crack a windshield from someone leaning on it, you caught a rock.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was another possibility, but I thought a rock would make a point and the cracks radiate outward from it.

I had a friend in high school who broke my windshield by screwing around and pushing on it, open handed from inside. And at a Dead show, a girl wanted to climb up where I was sitting on the luggage rack. I told her to step on the spare tire on the front, she did, and rather than step all the way up and let me pull her up by her arms put some of her weight (~110 pounds) with her bare foot on my windshield.

So, if Mr. Homeless dude stumbled and caught himself with the heel of his hand or elbow on my windshield it could.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
That was another possibility, but I thought a rock would make a point and the cracks radiate outward from it.

I had a friend in high school who broke my windshield by screwing around and pushing on it, open handed from inside. And at a Dead show, a girl wanted to climb up where I was sitting on the luggage rack. I told her to step on the spare tire on the front, she did, and rather than step all the way up and let me pull her up by her arms put some of her weight (~110 pounds) with her bare foot on my windshield.

So, if Mr. Homeless dude stumbled and caught himself with the heel of his hand or elbow on my windshield it could.
I don't know when this was, but windshields today are INCREDIBLY strong, and only yield to sharp impacts. Rock strikes cause any one of a number of different patterns depending on may factors. If properly supported and in good condition, you can walk on a windshield. A friend of mine's car locked behind him randomly when he was seriously stuck in the snow once. He's a big guy, but was unable to break the side window without tools. He eventually ripped the roof rack off and bashed in a window with that so he didn't die.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Windshields can crack on one pane easily, it's just very hard to BREAK them all the way through. They're laminated, and very strong against holes and complete breaks of both panes, but I've had my SVTF windshield crack (along the bottom in an elongated, inverted "U") from simple temperature difference between the defroster, on medium, and the outside temps being below zero, at highway speeds. My wife's Subaru Forester windshield cracked exactly the same way, but at less temp difference. I've seen them crack from torsional strain due to going over a succession of bumps at high-ish speeds (racetrack curbing on outside corner exit). It could have cracked one pane without a stone strike, just the wrong kind of pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts