Ford Focus Forum banner

281 - 300 of 313 Posts

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Been a long time in the werks, my 04 "ST"; 56k um no

I'm logged in on my Tapatalk but I can't even get a new password emailed to me due to server errors. So don't feel bad, it won't even accept my (correct)password or send me a new one for whatever reason.

I'm an admin and can't even login.

- Drew

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Been a long time in the werks, my 04 "ST"; 56k um no

I'm logged in on my Tapatalk but I can't even get a new password emailed to me due to server errors. So don't feel bad, it won't even accept my (correct)password or send me a new one for whatever reason.

I'm an admin and can't even login.

- Drew
Well ain't that just great. :(

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
So as some of you know I had some trouble with the stock master cylinder in the focus handling the increased piston area of the new Baer 6P's so we elected to use a modified Mazda 3 master cylinder with its increased bore diameter of 1"

Here's a shot of the Mazda unit fully installed with the tapered block off bolts we machined (the Mazda unit has four outlets rather than my stock unit which only has two):

Here's the tapered bolts we had to machine -- innocent enough looking but they were a b!tch to do:

And a gratuitous shot of the brakes in their natural habitat (car is filthy as it was just pissing rain when I drove her home):

Performance wise the brakes are damn near perfect with this master cylinder, feels like stock -- great feel but with a tremendous amount of stopping power now.
It really is ridiculous how hard this car stops now -- did some 'panic' stops from 60mph and it is just...ridiculous :lol:

I can't wait for spring so I can get all three cars completely cleaned up and detailed and I can get some better pics. I plan on finally using the gopro I have to good use this summer as well (ahem, Drew).

I had had some big plans wheels wise for the '04 but that's been put on the back burner for a little while as I suddenly needed a new roof on my house and that of course took precedence. Next up is some work on the '06 this summer.

Thanks for popping in here,
--chaz

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thats a great setup! Which generation mazda3? 04-08? And did you end up cutting the ears off the mazda3 unit and just 'clamp' it onto the booster? I have a set of 4 piston brembos im fabbing brackets for, and i had the same questions to the bore of the master. Awesome work :)

Also a bit of acetone gets rid of the printed bits on that 6061 aluminum, most cleaners wont, but that will.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Thats a great setup! Which generation mazda3? 04-08? And did you end up cutting the ears off the mazda3 unit and just 'clamp' it onto the booster? I have a set of 4 piston brembos im fabbing brackets for, and i had the same questions to the bore of the master. Awesome work :)

Also a bit of acetone gets rid of the printed bits on that 6061 aluminum, most cleaners wont, but that will.
Yes, the ears were machined off on the lathe:

The new mounting plate has a recess machined in which indexes the two pieces together seamlessly.

Depending on the size of the Brembos your factory unit may work satisfactorily, so I'd adopt a wait and see approach before going down the path that I did tbh.
--chaz

·
I
13,302 Posts
Very nice!! Love seeing more outside the box thinking on these cars.

For the master block off, could you use bleeder valves too? You could cut them down with a spot of weld and paint. Even without the weld, when they're tight they should seal just like on a caliper.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Very nice!! Love seeing more outside the box thinking on these cars.

For the master block off, could you use bleeder valves too? You could cut them down with a spot of weld and paint. Even without the weld, when they're tight they should seal just like on a caliper.
Thanks Joe, IIRC the block off bolts were an unusual size (of course) so I'm not sure if using bleeder valves was on the table.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
^correct, 18's -- and thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
^correct, 18's -- and thanks!
sorry for not read all of this thread and if you have discussed already but are those the same wheels as the Dark Toreador Red car you have? If yes, just a big fan of that style or more so because you could get them in that size/spec? Safe to assume those brakes wouldnt fit under 17's?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
sorry for not read all of this thread and if you have discussed already but are those the same wheels as the Dark Toreador Red car you have? If yes, just a big fan of that style or more so because you could get them in that size/spec? Safe to assume those brakes wouldnt fit under 17's?
^correct again. The '06 has slightly lower offset rear wheels -- other than that they are identical: 18x8et40 up front/18x9et38(35) out back.
And no, these brakes will not fit under 17's to my knowledge.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
They are a great looking wheel, very very light weight for their size, and can be ordered to spec for a modest sum.
I changed out the center caps for a more flush appearance as well.
This time next year though, the '04 will have some 3 piece wheels I have lusted after for a long time.
Only reason I don't have them on them on there already is I had to put a new roof on my house this year.

281 - 300 of 313 Posts