21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
You know, as soon as you finish this, you should sell it... to me... :eek:

·
Registered
616 Posts
This thread is so full of win, wish I had this much faith in my fab skills. My welding is good enough for exhaust pipe...bout it, lol. Very nice.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

I pushed it as far back as I could for weight distribution. I will also be putting a 3rd mount up top.

Hood clears with an 1/8 of an inch to spare. It's as low as I could put it with already having to cut an inch off the ranger pan sump.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
It was fun for a while. 80mph burn outs make it kind of useless on the street though. Was working out of town at the time and just kind of lost interest. Never had any problems with it though. i will finish it. Won't let it die lol
That sucks. Should of stuck some tire under it, they do decently well with a wrinkle wall slick and drag radials on the street.

Hope it does get done.

- Drew

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I may end up running some pretty high hp numbers down the road. Launching with slicks/ anti lag. That's why I was thinking of using another mount. Assuming this all works out lol

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Using the ranger oil pick up. doesnt attach to the focus oil pump quite right but can with some modification. Didn't use the ranger oil pump because it flows less. Will also be moving the oil pick up more towards the back of the pan with a baffle. Worst case, I can always switch to a dry sump. Anyone know of any kits that are sold in the us?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Aw man, every properly cool Focuses demise. A RWD conversion.

Hope it gets done and sorted, would like to see it. But, it was so good before I wouldn't have messed with it. I always wondered what happened to you/it.

If it was running fine, why not drive it and enjoy it the past few years?

- Drew
Some of the truest words on this forum. He's off to a good start though. Subscribing hopefully to the thread!

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Some of the truest words on this forum. He's off to a good start though. Subscribing hopefully to the thread!
Looks to be off to a great start, I hope it all gets sorted without too much issue. RWD 2.3 will be cool.

- Drew

·
Registered
887 Posts
Good to come back and find a nice build coming together, should be very fun to drive when it's done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
dude this is amazing, id like to do this to mine someday when i have the garage space. so the trans out of the foxbody bolts right up to the 2.3? im considering a wrecked 2015-16 mustang from erepairables for drivetrain and suspension parts, they can be had for $1500 if you get lucky. i think massive makes a dry sump for the 2.3 as well. super excited to see how this turns out. what are you using for the rear suspension?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The 2.3 duratec wont bolt to the foxbody 2.3 t5, but it will bolt to the ranger 2.3dohc 5spd. or the mazda miata mzr 5 speed i think. No t5 will directly bolt to the zetec or duratec without a bellhousing modification or a swap bellhousing meant to convert it, like a quads4rods bell.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This is positively inspiring, man... seriously.

There's a bunch of us looking to cut the center out of these things and make them proper machines. The dTec should give you a ridiculously high ceiling for upgrades, too! I'm curious to see what it ends up doing to the total balance of the car. This is the endgame for a lot of nutty enthusiasts; I became a technician so I could keep people off my car and at this point it's like a driveable business card. I've been imagining the same thing ten plus years and salivating over the builds in Europe that dig from much better parts than we ever got. This makes me want to cut mine up even faster!

Have you found any other threads in this or any other countries? I'm following two or three Cosworth & Layout swaps on Passion. This is so cool to see happening stateside. On the forum!!!

*there's a couple of threads in particular that you might find useful as the authors detailed the fabrication of the mounting points to the rails on the unibody needed for longitudinal engine mounts.*

21 - 37 of 37 Posts