Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the st motor seeing the single port exhaust manifold making it difficult to make big power, or do any kind of port work on the exhaust side of the head.

Am I correct in saying that the motors themselves are the same, compression maybe different but that is irrelavent for this question.

I just keep thinking buying the regular focus might be better price wise, and easier to make big power on later on down the road

·
Registered
457 Posts
While we dont know for sure yet my bet is that Ford has beefed up the internals on the ST motor. Making it cheaper to make bigger power but its all speculation at this point.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just keep thinking buying the regular focus might be better price wise, and easier to make big power on later on down the road
That's possible, but you should keep in mind that currently there isn't even a tune available for the 2.0 Ti-VCT, much less a turbo.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's possible, but you should keep in mind that currently there isn't even a tune available for the 2.0 Ti-VCT, much less a turbo.
Off the shelf stuff yes but, you can still get management systems for the car. As well as, have a turbo system made for your car. Waiting for shelf stock will only slow any progress made for the platform.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Off the shelf stuff yes but, you can still get management systems for the car. As well as, have a turbo system made for your car. Waiting for shelf stock will only slow any progress made for the platform.
The OP is considering price as his rationale, not platform development progress. I doubt he would be able to go the custom route and save money over buying an ST.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Keep in mind I got my '12 used for about $13,000. The ST starts at $24,495. $11,000 can buy a lot of stuff, even if that stuff isn't out yet. It'll be interesting to see what used a ST sells for about this time next year. Time will tell what kind of aftermarket support the MkIII will get here in the US. It's off to a pretty good start, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
all parts, head, intakes, cams pistons have completely different part numbers from mk3 to st.
Looks like everything should bolt across though.
We suspect that they are all beefed up for the increased HP.
Let you know later as I plan on dropping on a loaded head, intake manifold and turbo though my parts guy is trying to get me to buy a drop in complete and swap it over.

Lux

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you want big power, the ST is absolutely cheaper in the long run. Besides the turbo; you get forged internals with a lower(safe) compression ratio, the 6spd gearbox, the body kit, and the higher rated components(axles and such). Calculate how much all those parts are worth and you might be looking at least at closer to $10k to upgrade the.

Also there is the aftermarket, the ST is already getting better support than the base engine. Plus the single port exhaust doesn't strike me as an issue. The CRZ has the same problem with single exhaust ports and an integrated exhaust manifold. Bisimoto managed to build one to 500HP and it's only a 1.5L :dunno:. I suppose it depends on how much you're talking about.

·
Registered
768 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts