Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping to have some really great news for everyone about Indy Lights next week (Road America) but we were unable to put the funding together in time. A three race package is still in place and we are going to push to make it happen yet this year. (Watkins Glen, Toronto, Mid Ohio, Laguna Seca are the potential remaining races) In the mean time I am going to run this Trans Am Ford Mustang in the SCCA Majors along with a few select SCCA Pro Trans AM Races! Stop out at Road America this weekend to see it in person!

Also if anyone would like to like and share my page it really helps out in the end for potential sponsors!

https://www.facebook.com/TylerThielmannRacing/

Thanks Guys!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Sweet!

I was this thread would have included some late 60's muscle cars, and the Mustang race car is not really a muscle car. Mustangs were more of a pony car (term originated with them), and that Trans Am car is a racer and not a muscle car.

I'm more interested in the Cobra in the background of the first pic...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update From the June Sprints:
Weekend started off a little tougher than expected. We ended up having to pull the gearbox twice and in doing so had to miss both qualifying sessions and most of the practice session. Not exactly what we were looking to do as it was my first race of the year in a car I have never driven. So we were forced to start from the back of the field on Saturday. (29th on the full grid) We managed to work are way all the way up to 4th place in class and 13th overall.
This gave us some momentum and we would start 7th in class on Sunday. With a little bit of luck and some consistent lap times we managed to finish the race in 2nd place.

Really proud of everyone who helped us this weekend! My goal for the weekend was to be 2 seconds off the fast times and while we came up a little short on that I think with the improvements we are going to make that we should be very competitive by the end of the year! Big thanks to SO Bright LLC, Lamers Motor Racing, Ford Performance, Hoosier Racing Tire, and SCCA for putting on another great June Sprints at Road America

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
That sounds pretty damn good for having a rough start.

- Drew

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
That is super awesome! Are you the driver? What is your story, and how did you end up racing?

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
That is super awesome! Are you the driver? What is your story, and how did you end up racing?
Road America is in his backyard, I'd guess that plays a big part.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that is me, I have been driving since age 10.

As Steve said Having Road America in my backyard has played a big part.

When I turned 17 we didn't have the funding to keep going so we decided as a family that I would go on and get my education.

While I was in college and shortly after I kept working on contacts. The problem here was that the economy kind of took a dump so money and rides were difficult to come by.

Fast-forward to today I still work on deals just about every week, while funding is still difficult to find racing has made a major comeback. It is a tough sport to get into especially on the pro side but I am still hoping to do more of it in the future.

I will be driving a Trans-Am car for the rest of this year both Pro and on the SCCA Majors side for seat time. I also have a three race Indy Lights deal put together but we need to secure the rest of the funding. (the first race was suppose to be Road America this last weekend but we ran short on time)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought I would post a quick update on here as I haven't in a while. I have only run a handful of races this year but the highlight had to be my debut into the Trans Am Series! We finished stronger than expected with the car needing some updates but the rain really helped me out. There will be a broadcast of the race coming up and I will be sure to post the date and times. Here are some pics and an update I posted to Facebook.

Facebook:
Ended up having a pretty good Trans Am Series debut at Road America! We qualified lower than we would have liked but I couldn't get out of traffic and a red flag shortened our time on track. We were to start 16th on the grid for the race but as luck would have it we would start on rain tires! During the race we made our way up to 10th by the mid point of the race but due to drying conditions that was where we would remain.
I would really have liked it to remain raining throughout the race but I was really proud of our top 10 finish! Moving forward I hope that we can eventually move on a more powerful fuel injected engine and maybe work with someone who knows how to setup the chassis as we are really only maintaining it at this point. Big thanks to our sponsors for the weekend which include SO Bright Natural Pet Products, Phoebe Products, Decals by 360dsgns, and thanks to Denny Lamers of Lamers Motor Racing for allowing us to paddock under their tent! Also I am really thankful for all the friends and family that showed up to help with the car and for support! It was really great seeing all the grey shirts and green SO Bright bags float around in the pits! I also have to say that the Hoosier tires and Hawk Brake Pads were unbelievable in the rain! Can't wait for the next one!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Excellent job of fighting your way from 7th to 2nd on the first final. (I missed this thread when first posted.) Looks like a heck of a brute to take on RA with, and I'm sure you're smiling. Looking forward to watching the broadcast.

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
Nice drive! Great finally meeting you in July as well.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, here is the broadcast. We didn't get a ton of TV time but we were running fast laps in the middle of the race while the track was still wet. I think with the fuel injected engine and a little help on setup that we would be able to run up front without the need for rain.

If we decide to Daytona I will be sure to post it on here!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Although the cameras didn't show it, you had a nice race... wet and dry on the same tires, picking up spots as available, no mistakes. Looked like some great laps turned in by some and a few "heroic" corners along the way. Thanks, that was fun to watch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts