Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is a long one..

I've recently read a couple of articles/posts here about other Focus owners experiencing apparent DEFECTIVE airbag sensors. In other words, the airbags have gone off when they should NOT have.

I can attest to this, and would like to here from others that have also experienced what they believe to be DEFECTIVE airbags/sensors. Let's start a list. I believe the NHTSA has a note on this now.

I was involved in an incident in May 2001 where I rear-ended a minivan in stop-go-traffic. The impact occurred at less than 15km/h (probably closer to 10km/h). ALL of the airbag sensors activated, causing both airbags to deploy, smashing the windshield and causing lots of damage to my vehicle. The van I made contact with had a minor scratch on the rear bumper, one so minor that it would likely have buffed out. When I saw the insurance claim of $6800CDN for my vehicle, I flipped, not only because of the insane cost to replace all the parts (and unnecessary other stuff that the body shop included), but because AllState told me not to worry about it even though I was very concerned that it was a Ford DEFECT, and that they should take it up with Ford. They told me not to worry about it, to which I questioned why it would not be in their own best interest to pursue the matter if it really was Ford's fault.

I phoned Ford customer service and was told that airbags on a 2000 Focus ZX3 should deploy at (from memory) 18MPH when contacting a parked vehicle and something like 14-15MPH with a brick wall. (Parked vehicle will 'give' more than a wall). Clearly, mine should NOT have gone off (note my speed above was KM/H, not MPH). I was told I "must have" been going faster. I was not, and have witnesses (I'd only moved forward 10 feet anyhow!).

I was brushed off, both by Ford & by Allstate alike. To make matters worse, because my Focus sustained windshield damage (from the airbag covers), and because the airbags were deployed, I could not drive the car away from the scene of the incident. A cop showed up and promptly gave me a ticket for careless driving. I lost my case, and soon after got my license suspended and my insurance rates TRIPLED to over $700/month. I couldn't afford that, and only now, a full year later am I back on the road, albeit at $500/month insurance (I turned 25 in the meantime).

I maintain that if the airbags had NOT deployed, I would have been able to drive away from the 'incident' after exchanging information with the other driver, and none of the above would have ever occurred.

Knowing now I am NOT an isolated incident, I am now furious that my insurance company & Ford did nothing when I brought up my concerns at the time.

What's your stories?

[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: DanielB_ZX3 ]</p>

·
Registered
281 Posts
Blah blah blah.

How can you possibly know how fast you were travelling when you impacted?

You rear-ended somebody poor guy and all I hear about is how you are being victimized by the police, Ford and your insurance company. Sheesh.

Take responsibility for your own actions, quit positioning yourself as a victim and get on with your life. Hopefully you'll have learned something from this incident.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but jeez, some people...

Jon

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jon Sturgeon:
Blah blah blah.

How can you possibly know how fast you were travelling when you impacted?

You rear-ended somebody poor guy and all I hear about is how you are being victimized by the police, Ford and your insurance company. Sheesh.

Take responsibility for your own actions, quit positioning yourself as a victim and get on with your life. Hopefully you'll have learned something from this incident.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but jeez, some people...

Jon
<hr></blockquote>

I don't think that he is trying to prove himself, or get any money back. He has just stated his observations and heard of other people with similar problem. Please, keep this on topic with useful infromation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jon, I'm not going to take your troll bait, other than say that airbags are designed to:
1) supplement safety restraints (seatbelts)
2) go off in frontal collisions AT SPEED to prevent the occupant's heads from hitting the steering wheel/dash/windowshield.

When they deploy in situations where they are not meant to (ie: LOW speed collisions), it proves to be very damaging to the vehicle, and very costly to repair. When they deploy as designed (impact at speed), you will be thankful for their existence, and #2, the cost to replace/repair them is insignificant because they likely just saved your life.

Airbags save lives, but they didn't save mine.
They didn't need to.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Don't listen to the troll; you are making a valid observation. There is an ongoing safety investigation which I will copy and paste here for you. Also, I'll copy the link for you so that you can contact the agency and give them your information for their investigation.

=============================================

Defect Investigations

2 Record(s) found

NHTSA Action Number: PE02020 Make: FORD Model: FOCUS Year: 2001
Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS
Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Date Investigation Opened: Mon, February 11, 2002 Date Investigation Closed:
NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
Summary:
AIR BAG BURN INJURIES/VEHICLE FIRES

NHTSA Action Number: PE02026 Make: FORD Model: FOCUS Year: 2001
Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS
Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Date Investigation Opened: Thu, February 28, 2002 Date Investigation Closed:
NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
Summary:
INAPPROPRIATE AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT

======================================

Link to report safety issues:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline/

Good luck,

Bobby

·
Registered
591 Posts
hey all u retards i was backing out of a parking lot at 5 mph and i hit a parked car not evan hit i just tapped it no dammed to either cars and my air bags went off! it cost me 4 thousand to replace them -- not considering the noise my ears ! so what r u guys gonna say now come on guys there is a searious problem here!

·
I'm Not Better Than You Since I Drive a Porsche, I
3,343 Posts
This just happened to me on Saturday night! I was going to meet a couple of buds from the Jet and Bang! POP! I was not even going 5 MPH, I was coasting. The light turned yellow, and the stupid lady in front of me stopped right when it lit. I thought she was going, I was looking to my left for less then 1 second, I look forward again, and there she was. TOO LATE. I was not even in gear... coasting! Like I said! HERE JUST READ THE POST!

http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=23&t=002192

I think there may be an issue with Ford there sometime in the future...

I must say though... I still love my car!

EDIT: Insurance man called yesterday, and they said that the estimate was $3200. My car will be all done Friday afternoon. I only have to pay the deductable.

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: EggYolk_Zetec_ZX3 ]</p>

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
I think that they (Ford) would have figured out that there would be a problem when Mazda was having these same problems before the Ford division went to the Bosch type control module mounted on the "driveshaft" hump. I investigated multiple incidents involving Mazdas and unnecessary airbag deployments. Drivers would hit small animals like cats and ducks, these animals would bounce under the cars, thus striking the undercarriage and setting off the airbags. Cheaper control modules and fewer sensors as well as poor placement have unfortunately led to a less then perfect system. Lowering your car and stiffer suspensions only exaggerate the problem. Some Mazdas that were lowered experienced deployments while driving over (and scraping) speed bumps at 5mph!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too had a similar problem. I was rearended a person at less than 5 MPH and the airbags deployed. There wasnt any damage to my car or the persons car who i hit. I then had to cough up almost 2 grand for new airbags and sensors. This is a problem that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
my air bags deploied too early as well. Impact happend at 10-15mph....no airbag should deploy at that speed.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Im not sure if they should have gone off or not but my car hit a curb at 40mph (slid on a patch of gravel), there was no damage to the front end or anything just popped the curb, blew a shock and the wheel bent also bent the fender. Both airbags went off in this should they have?? My left hand was burned because of this and it sux, I had enough time to brace myself that I didnt even touch the bags or feel the seat belts lock up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry this is a long one..

I've recently read a couple of articles/posts here about other Focus owners experiencing apparent DEFECTIVE airbag sensors. In other words, the airbags have gone off when they should NOT have.

I can attest to this, and would like to here from others that have also experienced what they believe to be DEFECTIVE airbags/sensors. Let's start a list. I believe the NHTSA has a note on this now.

I was involved in an incident in May 2001 where I rear-ended a minivan in stop-go-traffic. The impact occurred at less than 15km/h (probably closer to 10km/h). ALL of the airbag sensors activated, causing both airbags to deploy, smashing the windshield and causing lots of damage to my vehicle. The van I made contact with had a minor scratch on the rear bumper, one so minor that it would likely have buffed out. When I saw the insurance claim of $6800CDN for my vehicle, I flipped, not only because of the insane cost to replace all the parts (and unnecessary other stuff that the body shop included), but because AllState told me not to worry about it even though I was very concerned that it was a Ford DEFECT, and that they should take it up with Ford. They told me not to worry about it, to which I questioned why it would not be in their own best interest to pursue the matter if it really was Ford's fault.

I phoned Ford customer service and was told that airbags on a 2000 Focus ZX3 should deploy at (from memory) 18MPH when contacting a parked vehicle and something like 14-15MPH with a brick wall. (Parked vehicle will 'give' more than a wall). Clearly, mine should NOT have gone off (note my speed above was KM/H, not MPH). I was told I "must have" been going faster. I was not, and have witnesses (I'd only moved forward 10 feet anyhow!).

I was brushed off, both by Ford & by Allstate alike. To make matters worse, because my Focus sustained windshield damage (from the airbag covers), and because the airbags were deployed, I could not drive the car away from the scene of the incident. A cop showed up and promptly gave me a ticket for careless driving. I lost my case, and soon after got my license suspended and my insurance rates TRIPLED to over $700/month. I couldn't afford that, and only now, a full year later am I back on the road, albeit at $500/month insurance (I turned 25 in the meantime).

I maintain that if the airbags had NOT deployed, I would have been able to drive away from the 'incident' after exchanging information with the other driver, and none of the above would have ever occurred.

Knowing now I am NOT an isolated incident, I am now furious that my insurance company & Ford did nothing when I brought up my concerns at the time.

What's your stories?

[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: DanielB_ZX3 ]</p>
Hello everyone,
I know I am late coming into this discussion but, if my story doesn’t change your mind that there is definitely something wrong with the Ford Focus airbag system nothing will:
I was the seat belted passenger, my wife the driver, in a factory altered Ford Focus. (Ford changed the front sensors from one near each corner to a single sensor in the center. That bean counter’s decision changed my life.)
There is no debate regarding how fast we were going or if we were really seat belted because all modern cars have computers on them that record all that information. We were traveling 26mph at impact but, the force was less because someone pulled out in front of her, we struck them on their side, therefore absorbing some of the momentum.
In layman’s terms, the computer wasn’t sure it should deploy or not so, my body was already moving forward when the system made the computation to lock the seatbelts and just go ahead and deploy everything. All six airbags went off in the car. The two in the front, both side airbags and, two small tough little buggers that popped out of the seats.
I am six feet tall so, I was as far back as possible but still, the timing of the deployment caused the passenger side airbag to, crush my right eye to the point it had to be removed, broke my eye socket floor, crushed my right sinus cavity and, fractured my sternum. (There was nothing in my lap in case you were wondering, we were going to see a movie.) Everyone else walked away. This happened three days after Christmas, 2012.
The seatbelt would have sufficed in this minor collision. Airbags should be an option for the person behind those explosive devices. I don’t have any more eyes to spare.The least they could do is put warning stickers in cars of the dangers airbags are capable of and...suggest wearing eye protection, especially if you only have one eye.
HOW IS THAT FOR AN EYE OPENER ALL YOU NAYSAYERS?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,
I know I am late coming into this discussion but, if my story doesn’t change your mind that there is definitely something wrong with the Ford Focus airbag system nothing will:
I was the seat belted passenger, my wife the driver, in a factory altered Ford Focus. (Ford changed the front sensors from one near each corner to a single sensor in the center. That bean counter’s decision changed my life.)
There is no debate regarding how fast we were going or if we were really seat belted because all modern cars have computers on them that record all that information. We were traveling 26mph at impact but, the force was less because someone pulled out in front of her, we struck them on their side, therefore absorbing some of the momentum.
In layman’s terms, the computer wasn’t sure it should deploy or not so, my body was already moving forward when the system made the computation to lock the seatbelts and just go ahead and deploy everything. All six airbags went off in the car. The two in the front, both side airbags and, two small tough little buggers that popped out of the seats.
I am six feet tall so, I was as far back as possible but still, the timing of the deployment caused the passenger side airbag to, crush my right eye to the point it had to be removed, broke my eye socket floor, crushed my right sinus cavity and, fractured my sternum. (There was nothing in my lap in case you were wondering, we were going to see a movie.) Everyone else walked away. This happened three days after Christmas, 2012.
The seatbelt would have sufficed in this minor collision. Airbags should be an option for the person behind those explosive devices. I don’t have any more eyes to spare.The least they could do is put warning stickers in cars of the dangers airbags are capable of and...suggest wearing eye protection, especially if you only have one eye.
HOW IS THAT FOR AN EYE OPENER ALL YOU NAYSAYERS?
Never got a penny from Ford or an apology.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts